Colts Franchise Freeny - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Colts Franchise Freeny

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:32 am

Flux wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Depends on the team. If i was NO i think i eould, they need the pass rusher and they are clsoe, and the 1st rounders are late

Except they just tagged Grant...that would be a TON of $$$ devoted to DEs

Yea, i forgot about that. A team likr NO was basically what i meant. One who has a late pick and they think they are a pass rusher away
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby killiansjmd » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:24 am

February 19, 2007 6:28 PM ET
Saints: Grant to be tagged
The News

The Saints intend to place the franchise tag on defensive end Charles Grant, ESPN.com reports. The two sides still have until Thursday to reach a contractual agreement. Grant has 36 sacks and one interception in 80 career games.
Our View

Grant and the Saints are not believed to be close to striking a deal, so the Saints might be forced to use the franchise tag on Thursday. We'll keep you updated on the negotiations as further information is released.

I was thinking Freeney to the Saints also but not now with them franchising Grant.

Any of the teams with a late first round pick that need a pass rushing DE should take a run at Freeney.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:33 am

killiansjmd wrote:
February 19, 2007 6:28 PM ET
Saints: Grant to be tagged
The News

The Saints intend to place the franchise tag on defensive end Charles Grant, ESPN.com reports. The two sides still have until Thursday to reach a contractual agreement. Grant has 36 sacks and one interception in 80 career games.
Our View

Grant and the Saints are not believed to be close to striking a deal, so the Saints might be forced to use the franchise tag on Thursday. We'll keep you updated on the negotiations as further information is released.

I was thinking Freeney to the Saints also but not now with them franchising Grant.

Any of the teams with a late first round pick that need a pass rushing DE should take a run at Freeney.

i wouldn't even mind if the Bucs made a run at him. He is worth a 5 pick IMO and we need a rusher bad
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby killiansjmd » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:35 am

Freeney in the fold
Colts DE gets 'exclusive franchise' tag; team turns attention to other free agents
Related articles
By Mike Chappell
mailto:mike.chappell@indystar.com

Free agent losses are inevitable every offseason, especially for a Super Bowl champion. But whatever defections await the Indianapolis Colts, they won't include Dwight Freeney.

Meeting the media: Colts DE Dwight Freeney, shown during Super Bowl week, had 5 1/2 sacks and 33 quarterback pressures this past season. - MATT KRYGER / The Star

The team on Monday made certain its career sack leader would remain its defensive cornerstone for at least one more season by designating him its "exclusive franchise player."
"He wasn't going to go anywhere,'' team president Bill Polian said.
Using the "exclusive" tag eliminates the possibility of Freeney testing his value on the NFL's free agent market, which opens March 2. It also guarantees him a one-year contract at the average of the top five players at his position at the end of the upcoming free agent period.
A "non-exclusive" franchise tag would have allowed Freeney to talk with other teams, and it paid a one-year contract at the average of the top five players at his position from last season -- $8.644 million. The exclusive tag assuredly will pay more.
Despite "tagging" Freeney, Polian's hope is to sign the three-time Pro Bowl defensive end to a long-term contract. Polian and Gary Wichard, Freeney's agent, spoke at length Monday.
"We'll continue to talk with the idea toward putting together a long-term deal,'' Polian said, calling Freeney "an integral part of this team."
Wichard did not immediately return telephone calls to a reporter.
Freeney was the Colts' first-round draft pick in 2002, the 11th overall selection, and has posted 51 sacks in his five years. He was limited to a career-low 51/2 sacks last season but had a team-high 33 quarterback pressures.
With Freeney's situation at least temporarily resolved, the team will turn its attention to its other pending free agents. Those include a dozen players who either started at some point or played a prominent role in the 2006 Super Bowl season: linebackers Cato June, Rob Morris and Gilbert Gardner; running back Dominic Rhodes; cornerbacks Nick Harper and Jason David; safety Mike Doss; kick returner Terrence Wilkins; guards Jake Scott and Ryan Lilja; defensive end Josh Thomas; and tight end Ben Utecht.
"As a coach, you want everybody back,'' Tony Dungy said. "We know that's not going to happen. That's just the way the system works.''
Dungy explained that he typically compiles a wish list regarding personnel, fully aware the NFL's salary cap -- expected to be $109 million in 2007, up from last season's $102 million -- forces difficult decisions.
"You have your wish list,'' Dungy said, "and Bill knows 'OK, if we get item A, then you can't get B, C and D.' He knows what my wish list is, then he has to put it together to get the most out of that.''
Last offseason, the team decided to re-sign wide receiver Reggie Wayne, defensive tackle Raheem Brock, defensive end Robert Mathis and linebacker Gary Brackett to long-term contracts that included more than $30 million in signing and roster bonuses. Such hefty investments meant the Colts were unable to re-sign running back Edgerrin James, linebacker David Thornton and defensive tackle Larry Tripplett.
"It's a tough road to navigate,'' Dungy said.
The toughest decision this offseason might involve June. He led the team with 162 tackles in '06 after being voted to his first Pro Bowl the previous season. The Colts will want him back -- if the price is right.
"The key thing is what the market will bear,'' Polian said. "There is a price for everybody we feel we can afford and we can actually live with under the cap.
"There is a number beyond which we can't go for any player.''
Other decisions include whether to retain defensive tackles Corey Simon and Montae Reagor and wide receiver Brandon Stokley. Simon (undisclosed illness) and Reagor (facial injuries from an automobile accident) finished the season on the league's non-football illness/injury list. Stokley suffered a season-ending ruptured right Achilles tendon in December.
"A lot of these things are going to be dependent upon physical examinations,'' Polian said, adding that the team is having trouble scheduling a physical with Simon

I never really heard of Exclusive ad Non Exclusive Franchise tags. Does this mean when you are designated Exclusive that other teams can't put in an offer sheet in which the Colts can either match or take the draft picks???
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:34 pm

There are three types: transition, franchise and exclusive-rights franchise. I've read explanations but still don't get all the nuances between them. From what I understand the F and the EF tags are basically the same except that with EF a team cannot make an offer sheet. (This is where the rights team has the opportunity to match under type F.) But the EF player can still make an offer to another team and they can accept it that way. Obviously it's a lot more complex than that but that's all I understand. ;-)
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mrblitz » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:12 pm

Great player, although I do question why his letdown season. The Colts still should lock him up though.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby mattb47 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:17 pm

mrblitz wrote:Great player, although I do question why his letdown season. The Colts still should lock him up though.

The "numbers" may not have been there but he still demands a ton of attention from the opposing O-Line which really opens things up for everyone else. Just his presence would help any defense in the NFL.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:50 pm

This was a no-brainer for the Colts. Now they need to get him locked up long-term.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby BlueBandit24 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:11 pm

mattb47 wrote:
mrblitz wrote:Great player, although I do question why his letdown season. The Colts still should lock him up though.

The "numbers" may not have been there but he still demands a ton of attention from the opposing O-Line which really opens things up for everyone else. Just his presence would help any defense in the NFL.

I think his low numbers are actually a testament to how great he is. He commands so much attention and has so much speed off that edge that he is the focus of a team's offensive protection schemes. The fact that he can dominate games without notching sacks is remarkable, and the Colts are wise to keep him as long as they can.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:35 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Depends on the team. If i was NO i think i eould, they need the pass rusher and they are clsoe, and the 1st rounders are late

That'd be a terrible waste of cap space for NO. Their line was the best thing about that defense. Grant and Smith make a fine tandem, and their DT's play strong too. If anything on defense they need to address the secondary or the lack of a quality MLB.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk