Most dominant athlete in the world? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

Most dominant athlete in the world?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby RWLongy4 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:43 pm

Twisted Sister wrote:
RWLongy4 wrote:
Twisted Sister wrote:And frankly... Tiger's edge is due to the fact that golf was/is NOT a mainstream sport for youth.

His body developed with the game, wheras many "potential athletes" don't pick up clubs till they're teenagers or older.

Tennis courts are availabe and free in most areas of the country... golf is extremely expensive and inaccessilbe.
]

I can almost promise you that 99.9% of players on the PGA tour picked up clubs before the age of ten.

Tiger was in fact a good player as a child but that is not the reason for his dominance.


Well, I can almost guarantee you that 99.9% of them didn't start at the age of 2.

Anyhow, I was speaking to the competition pool from a previous post. Saying golf has more competition than tennis is a fallacy. There are many barriers to entering golf for the young athlete.


I agree with both of those points, Golf is a much harder sport to pick up than tennis. Both sports are at pro levels, so nothing but the elite of elite will be playing either sport at that level. Arguing about whose got better competition is futile.

The only reason golf could be said to have a larger pool of competition is simply because you have to compete against more people at once as I stated in my previous post.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 3118
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 24 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Miami University (OH)

Postby m16a » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:46 pm

mattb47 wrote:
josebach wrote:I would say Tiger for no other reason than the amount of competition. Not only are there three times as many professional golfers as there are tennis players, but how many amateur golfers are there versus amateur tennis players?

Another thing is that golf is more a game of skill than it is a game of athleticism, meaning that someone who is athletic will not necessarily have an advantage over someone who is skillful. Tennis, on the other hand, is almost entirely based on athleticism. Considering this, how good can the professional tennis be if the world's best athletes are playing soccer, baseball, football, track and field etc... All you have to do is look at the Williams sisters to get an idea of what tennis might look like if it had more mass appeal.

As I said before, it all comes down to competition.


Have you ever played tennis??? It is easily one of the absolute hardest sports I have ever seen to get very good at because it takes A LOT of skill combined with athleticism. You can be a mediocre athlete and get great at tennis, it's not a necessity. If you think tennis is about athleticism then I'm sorry but I can't take anything else you say about it credible.

And I would contend that tennis is just as difficult to win consistently at as golf if not moreso. Very rarely does a tennis player come in and is able to dominate the sport for as long as Federer has in tennis and to the degree that he has. Golf is very tough, no arguing against that, but in tennis there is actually someone actively trying to beat you, putting different spins and speeds on the ball while in golf the ball is not moving. I understand how difficult golf is, trust me, but to say that golf is a lot tougher to win at consistently than tennis is just ignorance of how tough tennis is.

And the comparisons of Tiger winning all over the place to Federer not being able to win the French on clay is ridiculous. There aren't "different surfaces" in golf in which the play changes as dramatically as there is in tennis. Just completely different things.


100% correct matt. i definitly agree and i can also attest to it. im a tennis player and i have played on grass, on clay, and on composite. every surface COMPLETELY changes the game. for example, on composite or concrete the ball has a lower spin but a much higher bounce. this then makes the topspin shot very effective. it however puts a dampener on the slice. in contrast clay and grass are the opposite. they have very low bounce but high ball spin. this makes the slice a truly dominating shot(believe me i know. ive busted my a*s in 90 degree heat tryin to contend with a good slice on a grass court. its insanity. so what matt is saying is that not only do you have to be skilled to play tennis well, you need tobe able to adapt to the different game that each surface gives you. so again i definitly say its federer. and yes i think he can win the french.
Last edited by m16a on Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 5361
(Past Year: 37)
Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere in PA

Postby mattb47 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:47 pm

josebach wrote:It may seem like it, but I really don't feel that strongly one way or the other. It's quite possible we're looking at the two best players ever to play their sport.


I think that almost goes without saying. At least its unanimous that these two guys are the absolute most dominant in the world. Because the two sports are so different in the way that others compete with them it does make it awfully hard to say who is better. Being a tennis guy myself, I think Federer is incredible because I play tennis a good amount and understand how ridiculous some of the things he is able to do on a regular basis are. I understand that consistently playing some of the best players in the world and only losing 14 matches in over 3 years is absolutely incredible.
Image
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14238
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby m16a » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:48 pm

mattb47 wrote:

I think that almost goes without saying. At least its unanimous that these two guys are the absolute most dominant in the world. Because the two sports are so different in the way that others compete with them it does make it awfully hard to say who is better. Being a tennis guy myself, I think Federer is incredible because I play tennis a good amount and understand how ridiculous some of the things he is able to do on a regular basis are. I understand that consistently playing some of the best players in the world and only losing 14 matches in over 3 years is absolutely incredible.


thats for sure. i do also agree that tiger is probably the most dominant golf player.
Image
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 5361
(Past Year: 37)
Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere in PA

Postby RWLongy4 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:51 pm

m16a wrote:
mattb47 wrote:
josebach wrote:I would say Tiger for no other reason than the amount of competition. Not only are there three times as many professional golfers as there are tennis players, but how many amateur golfers are there versus amateur tennis players?

Another thing is that golf is more a game of skill than it is a game of athleticism, meaning that someone who is athletic will not necessarily have an advantage over someone who is skillful. Tennis, on the other hand, is almost entirely based on athleticism. Considering this, how good can the professional tennis be if the world's best athletes are playing soccer, baseball, football, track and field etc... All you have to do is look at the Williams sisters to get an idea of what tennis might look like if it had more mass appeal.

As I said before, it all comes down to competition.


Have you ever played tennis??? It is easily one of the absolute hardest sports I have ever seen to get very good at because it takes A LOT of skill combined with athleticism. You can be a mediocre athlete and get great at tennis, it's not a necessity. If you think tennis is about athleticism then I'm sorry but I can't take anything else you say about it credible.

And I would contend that tennis is just as difficult to win consistently at as golf if not moreso. Very rarely does a tennis player come in and is able to dominate the sport for as long as Federer has in tennis and to the degree that he has. Golf is very tough, no arguing against that, but in tennis there is actually someone actively trying to beat you, putting different spins and speeds on the ball while in golf the ball is not moving. I understand how difficult golf is, trust me, but to say that golf is a lot tougher to win at consistently than tennis is just ignorance of how tough tennis is.

And the comparisons of Tiger winning all over the place to Federer not being able to win the French on clay is ridiculous. There aren't "different surfaces" in golf in which the play changes as dramatically as there is in tennis. Just completely different things.


100% correct matt. i definitly agree and i can also attest to it. im a tennis player and i have played on grass, on clay, and on composite. every surface COMPLETELY changes the game. for example, on composite or concrete the ball has a lower spin but a much higher bounce. this then makes the topspin shot very effective. it however puts a dampener on the slice. in contrast clay and grass are the opposite. they have very low bounce but high ball spin. this makes the slice a truly dominating shot(believe me i know. ive busted my ass in 90 degree heat tryin to contend with a good slice on a grass court. its insanity. so what matt is saying is that not only do you have to be skilled to play tennis well, you need tobe able to adapt to the different game that each surface gives you. so again i definitly say its federer. and yes i think he can win the french.


Hah, the environment argument is not one you are going to win against golfers. Every single shot you have to adapt your backswing, club selection, swing plane, club face etc etc etc. I could go on forever. While adapting to your court in tennis exists, adapting to the environment in golf is a large part of the sport.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 3118
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 24 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Miami University (OH)

Postby mattb47 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:59 pm

RWLongy4 wrote:
m16a wrote:100% correct matt. i definitly agree and i can also attest to it. im a tennis player and i have played on grass, on clay, and on composite. every surface COMPLETELY changes the game. for example, on composite or concrete the ball has a lower spin but a much higher bounce. this then makes the topspin shot very effective. it however puts a dampener on the slice. in contrast clay and grass are the opposite. they have very low bounce but high ball spin. this makes the slice a truly dominating shot(believe me i know. ive busted my ass in 90 degree heat tryin to contend with a good slice on a grass court. its insanity. so what matt is saying is that not only do you have to be skilled to play tennis well, you need tobe able to adapt to the different game that each surface gives you. so again i definitly say its federer. and yes i think he can win the french.


Hah, the environment argument is not one you are going to win against golfers. Every single shot you have to adapt your backswing, club selection, swing plane, club face etc etc etc. I could go on forever. While adapting to your court in tennis exists, adapting to the environment in golf is a large part of the sport.


Those who don't play tennis cannot understand how huge the difference is. Yes, golfers have to adapt for each shot and everything like that, but so do tennis players and in fact, tennis players also have to deal with whatever the other player decides to do with their shot and within seconds must react to the opponents shot, decide what shot they are going to hit, and execute the shot. You have all the time you need to prepare for a golf shot and execute it, not so in tennis. This is why I think the environment argument is a bigger factor for tennis players...it requires being able to react within a couple seconds where the ball will do completely different things on different surfaces.
Image
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14238
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby m16a » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:01 pm

mattb47 wrote:
RWLongy4 wrote:
m16a wrote:100% correct matt. i definitly agree and i can also attest to it. im a tennis player and i have played on grass, on clay, and on composite. every surface COMPLETELY changes the game. for example, on composite or concrete the ball has a lower spin but a much higher bounce. this then makes the topspin shot very effective. it however puts a dampener on the slice. in contrast clay and grass are the opposite. they have very low bounce but high ball spin. this makes the slice a truly dominating shot(believe me i know. ive busted my ass in 90 degree heat tryin to contend with a good slice on a grass court. its insanity. so what matt is saying is that not only do you have to be skilled to play tennis well, you need tobe able to adapt to the different game that each surface gives you. so again i definitly say its federer. and yes i think he can win the french.


Hah, the environment argument is not one you are going to win against golfers. Every single shot you have to adapt your backswing, club selection, swing plane, club face etc etc etc. I could go on forever. While adapting to your court in tennis exists, adapting to the environment in golf is a large part of the sport.


Those who don't play tennis cannot understand how huge the difference is. Yes, golfers have to adapt for each shot and everything like that, but so do tennis players and in fact, tennis players also have to deal with whatever the other player decides to do with their shot and within seconds must react to the opponents shot, decide what shot they are going to hit, and execute the shot. You have all the time you need to prepare for a golf shot and execute it, not so in tennis. This is why I think the environment argument is a bigger factor for tennis players...it requires being able to react within a couple seconds where the ball will do completely different things on different surfaces.


thank god we have an eloquent tennis player here. otherwise i would have lost this debate. lol. so again that is true. i still dont know how i can play tennis and be pretty decent at it.
Image
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 5361
(Past Year: 37)
Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere in PA

Postby RWLongy4 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:06 pm

This is turning into a golf vs. tennis debate which I don't particularly care to get int. (as it doesn't have an end) As I said previously I don't have a side as I think valid cases could be made for both Tiger or Federer being the most dominate athlete. I enjoy watching both of them play and I think we will all get to enjoy their dominance for years to come. We're lucky enough to experience something similar to the Michael Jordan era in basketball in these two sports... Savor it before it's a memory ;-D
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 3118
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 24 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Miami University (OH)

Postby m16a » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:07 pm

RWLongy4 wrote:This is turning into a golf vs. tennis debate which I don't particularly care to get int. (as it doesn't have an end) As I said previously I don't have a side as I think valid cases could be made for both Tiger or Federer being the most dominate athlete. I enjoy watching both of them play and I think we will all get to enjoy their dominance for years to come. We're lucky enough to experience something similar to the Michael Jordan era in basketball in these two sports... Savor it before it's a memory ;-D


yea your right. completely my mistake for starting to turn it towards that.
Image
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 5361
(Past Year: 37)
Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere in PA

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:09 pm

I'm sure i am right and anyone who else who voted for tiger, everyone is wrong. get over it. ;-D

Redskins Win wrote:Jeff Gordon is by far the most dominant athlete currently ;-D

ehhh right now the poll is a tied 32.1 between R-fed and tiger
28 votes received.

tiger is the most dominant player in sports, r-fed is no slouch but what i think tiger seperates himself from r fed is the variety of venues which he plays. in tennis you can be like a machine and very repetitive and control what your opponent does which r fed is amazing at be it clay grass or asphault. however, tiger needs to make physical adjustments for each and every shot and mental adjustments as well, and to me no one is more mentally sound in all of sports than tiger woods.

going 400 yds with a 1 1/2 diameter ball and putting it in a 4 inch diameter cup in 3 shots is just mindboggleing.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8272
Joined: 23 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 14:18 hours
(and 38 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact