Most dominant athlete in the world? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

Most dominant athlete in the world?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby RWLongy4 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:10 pm

misread ignore me.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 3118
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 24 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Miami University (OH)

Postby Twisted Sister » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:34 pm

Ok, who is the most dominate athlete of ALL TIME....

I'm thinking Lance Armstrong.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2822
Joined: 19 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Postby josebach » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:39 pm

Twisted Sister wrote:Ok, who is the most dominate athlete of ALL TIME....

I'm thinking Lance Armstrong.


If I'm not mistakne, Lance only really dominated the Tour De France. He wasn't as dominant in other races.

I'm thinking MJ or maybe Muhammad Ali.
Image
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 4611
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee, FL

Postby Twisted Sister » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:52 pm

Here's a partial list from a website (in order)

Muhammad Ali Most recognized person in world, three-time heavyweight champion.

Jim Thorpe Dominant baseball player, dominant football player, dominant decathlete.

Babe Ruth Made baseball America's game, biggest sports celebrity of first 50 years.

Babe Didrickson All-time Olympic female great, helped found LPGA, greatest female athlete in history.

Jackie Robinson Was great player, but his pioneering of civil rights puts him among elite.

Jesse Owens Olympic hero won gold in shadow of Nazis and Hitler in 36.

Sugar Ray Robinson Best fighter in history, had nearly 20-year career.

Jim Brown Most powerful runner in NFL history.

Michael Jordan Best offensive player in NBA history, baseball bust.

Wayne Gretzky Best offensive player in NHL history.

Wilt Chamberlain Kansas great, NBA great, could have been track and field and volleyball great,too.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Could have scored more had he wanted to, UCLA great, all-time NBA leading scorer.

Joe Louis Held heavyweight title for more than a decade.

Hank Aaron All-time home run leader, had great all-around game, too.

Bill Russell Best defensive player in NBA history, did benefit from great supporting cast.

Martina Navritlova Nine-time Wimbledon champ, best womens tennis player in history.

Walter Payton NFL's all-time leading rusher, great blocker.

Jack Nicklaus After Palmer, became dominant golfer of generation.

Arnold Palmer Put golf on map in 60s, cleared way for huge purses.

Carl Lewis Nearly two decades of premier running in Olympics, international competition.

Pele Best soccer player ever, worldwide celebrity.

Ted Williams Possibly greatest pure hitter in game, never won a World Series.

Ty Cobb Horrid personality, lifetime stats hard to ignore.

Red Grange Established NFL, great running back at Illinois.

Gordie Howe Longevity helped his stats but most recognizable hockey star after Gretzky.

Johnny Unitas Best quarterback in NFL history.

Lou Gehrig Stamina, strength, class of Yankees.

Jackie Joyner Kersee Best female athlete of the last half of century.

Bobby Jones Best golfer of first half century.

Larry Bird Great collegian, great Celtic, possibly great coach.

Sandy Koufax Best left hander in history. Period.

Billie Jean King Transformed women's tennis, leader in women's rights movement.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2822
Joined: 19 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:34 pm

since billy jean was the only woman listed i'd like to throw out Babe Didrikson as being the best woman athlete of 20th century.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8272
Joined: 23 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mattb47 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:09 pm

Redskins Win wrote:since billy jean was the only woman listed i'd like to throw out Babe Didrikson as being the best woman athlete of 20th century.


Martina Navritlova was mentioned as well, but personally I think that Steffi Graf was the best women's player i've seen.
Image
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14238
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:00 am

mattb47 wrote:
Redskins Win wrote:since billy jean was the only woman listed i'd like to throw out Babe Didrikson as being the best woman athlete of 20th century.


Martina Navritlova was mentioned as well, but personally I think that Steffi Graf was the best women's player i've seen.


Not either of the Williams sisters? They're both so dominant, especially Serena. That woman can still kick butt, as she just showed in the Australian.

I think Serena in her prime is the most dominant woman player, even over Graff, who was also incredibly good.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Postby josebach » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:38 am

I forget where I saw it, but I read this article that had all of these top sports people rank each sport in a number of categories such as dexterity, strength, speed etc and the sport that was considered the hardest was boxing. I googled it and couldn't find it. Anybody remember what this was?
Image
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 4611
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee, FL

Postby mattb47 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:07 am

knapplc wrote:
mattb47 wrote:
Redskins Win wrote:since billy jean was the only woman listed i'd like to throw out Babe Didrikson as being the best woman athlete of 20th century.


Martina Navritlova was mentioned as well, but personally I think that Steffi Graf was the best women's player i've seen.


Not either of the Williams sisters? They're both so dominant, especially Serena. That woman can still kick butt, as she just showed in the Australian.

I think Serena in her prime is the most dominant woman player, even over Graff, who was also incredibly good.


No, the Williams sisters were overrated. They took over tennis at a time when women's tennis was somewhat declining and they never really had much tough competition until recently where you have seen both of them drop off. Yes, Serena won the Australian this year, but I don't think she'll win another of the grand slams this season.

Steffi was a better tennis player in my opinion than the Williams' sisters, smartest player i've ever seen as a women's player. It's not all about how hard you can hit it.
Image
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14238
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Twisted Sister » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:19 pm

mattb47 wrote:
knapplc wrote:
mattb47 wrote:
Redskins Win wrote:since billy jean was the only woman listed i'd like to throw out Babe Didrikson as being the best woman athlete of 20th century.


Martina Navritlova was mentioned as well, but personally I think that Steffi Graf was the best women's player i've seen.


Not either of the Williams sisters? They're both so dominant, especially Serena. That woman can still kick butt, as she just showed in the Australian.

I think Serena in her prime is the most dominant woman player, even over Graff, who was also incredibly good.


No, the Williams sisters were overrated. They took over tennis at a time when women's tennis was somewhat declining and they never really had much tough competition until recently where you have seen both of them drop off. Yes, Serena won the Australian this year, but I don't think she'll win another of the grand slams this season.

Steffi was a better tennis player in my opinion than the Williams' sisters, smartest player i've ever seen as a women's player. It's not all about how hard you can hit it.


No way, Martina Hingis... j/k
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2822
Joined: 19 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 0:52 hours
(and 43 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact