Jets release Barlow - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jets release Barlow

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jets release Barlow

Postby Kilroy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:06 am

Jets release Barlow, Teague; re-sign Poteat
NFL.com wire reports

NEW YORK (Feb. 21, 2007) -- Kevan Barlow 's tenure as the successor to Curtis Martin lasted a season.

The New York Jets released the veteran running back after the least-productive season of Barlow's career. He ran for a career-low 370 yards -- third on the team -- and averaged just 2.8 yards per carry.

Barlow was acquired from San Francisco last August to jump-start a running game that was without an injured Martin. Instead, rookie Leon Washington emerged as a prime playmaker and second-year back Cedric Houston got lots of playing time late in the season.

Barlow started just three of the 12 games he played in for the Jets, although he led the team with six rushing touchdowns.

The Jets had no comment on Barlow's release, and Doug Hendrickson, the running back's agent, was not available for comment.

Also, the Jets released offensive lineman Trey Teague, re-signed cornerback Hank Poteat, and signed safety Raymond Ventrone to a reserve-future contract.

With Martin all but retired and despite still having three running backs on the roster -- Washington, Houston and Derrick Blaylock -- the Jets may still look to acquire a feature back. New York is thought to be interested in Michael Turner, LaDainian Tomlinson's backup in San Diego.

Washington had a team-leading 650 yards rushing and had four TDs, while Houston rushed for 374 yards and five scores. Blaylock had just 44 yards on 25 carries and was inactive most of the season.

Teague was signed by the Jets last April after he spent his first eight seasons with Denver and Buffalo. He was expected to add depth and experience to a line that included two rookies in left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and center Nick Mangold, but never played a game for New York. Teague broke his left ankle during training camp and again in November.

Poteat, signed before Week 6 last season, started a career-high six games for the Jets and set a personal best with 32 tackles. He previously played for Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay and New England.

Ventrone had 41 tackles, four forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries for Cologne of NFL Europa last season. He spent last NFL season on New England's physically-unable-to-play list and the 2005 season on the Patriots' practice squad.

Any thoughts on where (if anywhere) Barlow might land?

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dgan » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:32 am

Darn near forgot about the guy. I think he's more valuable than his stats, but his long run in 131 attempts this year was 12 yards. He may be looked at as a plodder, perhaps even a short yardage guy at this point in his career - with the bonus he is a good pass catcher and generally does not put the ball on the ground. Good ole' reliable, if you will.

I could see him going to bad weather team. If the Bears really wanted to unload Thomas and elevate Benson, I could see Barlow tagging on there. The Packers, unfortunately, may also be interested. I would HATE that as a fan, but it is the type of thing I could see them doing. McCarthy was his OC in San Fran.

Other possibilities could be Indianapolis if Rhodes goes elsewhere. San Diego may actually be a good fit if Turner finds a starting gig on another team.

Other than that, nothing really jumps to mind. Buffalo, Seattle, and Miami could look at him, I suppose, but he could be someone that has to wait until training camp and see who gets injured.

Definately not a fantasy prospect unless something surprising happens.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Gnu314 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:41 am

This isn't a suprise really, his cap number this season was going to be a lot (something like 6 million).

I can't really see him doing much of anything, signing on somewhere as a backup or worse. Barring injury I don't even see him as a 3rd down or change of pace back.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby madaslives911 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:06 am

Gnu314 wrote:This isn't a suprise really, his cap number this season was going to be a lot (something like 6 million).

I can't really see him doing much of anything, signing on somewhere as a backup or worse. Barring injury I don't even see him as a 3rd down or change of pace back.

He didn't want a paycut so he was released. Not really shocking to see the Jets let him go coz he did not perform well based on expectations. He ended last season's performance with 370 yards rushing, 6 touchdowns with just a 2.8-yard average per carry.

And if he insists on a higher salary, he might have a hard time finding a team taking him for what he is worth.
Visit My Sigs Gallery

2008 Champion - Cafeholics Anonymous
2008 Champion - No Press Allowed
madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:40 am

When the Jets, who have an injured RB whose career is over, a disappointing backup who was only good thanks to a stellar KC line, a later round rookie, and a late round 2nd year RB, and Barlow is the guy they cut, Barlow has officially become worthless.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Goatwhacker » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:17 am

I don't know what happened to this guy. He gained over 1000 yards in 2003 in limited playing time, in 2004 was all the fantasy experts darling, then went steadily downhill. He hasn't had injuries to the extent they should effect him that much. The guy's only played 6 years but is almost washed up. Something sure fell apart for Barlow but I'm not sure what.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:20 am

maddog60 wrote:When the Jets, who have an injured RB whose career is over, a disappointing backup who was only good thanks to a stellar KC line, a later round rookie, and a late round 2nd year RB, and Barlow is the guy they cut, Barlow has officially become worthless.

Sadly, I couldn't have said it better. :,-( ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby killiansjmd » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:04 pm

Expected both guys to get cut this offseason and they didn't show much. Surprised Blaylock wasn't cut as well.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:45 pm

killiansjmd wrote:Expected both guys to get cut this offseason and they didn't show much. Surprised Blaylock wasn't cut as well.

Totally agreed killians. Blaylock showed even less than Barlow last year. I'm not sure what his contract is like but maybe they haven't cut him because he's cheap insurance. Who knows. :-?

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:55 pm

I am not a big fan of barlow, but he should make a good backup somewhere.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk