Question about IE7 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Question about IE7

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby beanoX3 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:19 pm

sox 06 wrote:I just downloaded Firefox and I like the spell check but it seems to run a bit slower than my IE7 :-? . And the picture seems to be stretched out a bit. The drop down box here is about half as long with Firefox than it is with IE. Is this normal?

Firefox does seem to take a bit longer sometimes to load than IE. It's worth it though, and after ditching IE for a while, you don't really notice it.

As for the size of the drop box, you can customize the size and stuff by right-clicking on the toolbar and choosing "customize." Just click and drag stuff until you get it the way you want.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Popcynical » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:52 pm

knapplc wrote:Firefox is stable, it has tabbed browsing, it is quick and it is intuitive. It looks good, there are a TON of add-ons you can put on it to make it super-useful, and it is not a memory hog.

I tend to disagree here. It can be a memory hog. A lot of the time it'll get to over 100 MB of RAM used on my system where I have 768 MB of RAM. Most of the time it uses about 70 MB of RAM.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby confused_jake » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:26 pm

I love the add-ons for firefox. One of my favorites is the ESPN bottomline scoreboard. You can customize which sports you want to get scores and news from and is constantly updating.
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:46 am

Yeah, I've noticed the logo thing myself. Just bought a new laptop with Vista and IE 7 on it. Tested out Firefox as well, and will never use it again. Hunk of junk Firefox won't even let you go back into a post and insert a smiley. :-b Needless to say that I'm less than impressed with Firefox and I'll stick with IE 7. I still don't even see what the big deal is with tab browsing (which seems to be a big reason why people like Firefox over IE, but IE 7 has tab browsing now - I've tried it on both - no big deal and I doubt I use it at all). Not sure about resource use difference between the two, but Firefox pages load funny. Keeps changing sizes and things. Quite funny to watch once or twice, annoying after that. Toss in all the Firefox exclusive viruses running around now (I love firewalls) and I just don't see any reason to use it over IE. And no, I'm not a Microsoft fanboy in the least, but until someone builds something good, I'll stick with what works the way I want it to.

Vista stinks too, but that's a whole different can of worms. :-P

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Goatwhacker » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:55 am

Popcynical wrote:
knapplc wrote:Firefox is stable, it has tabbed browsing, it is quick and it is intuitive. It looks good, there are a TON of add-ons you can put on it to make it super-useful, and it is not a memory hog.

I tend to disagree here. It can be a memory hog. A lot of the time it'll get to over 100 MB of RAM used on my system where I have 768 MB of RAM. Most of the time it uses about 70 MB of RAM.

Yeah this is true. Firefox has a problem with not letting go of memory. Supposedly updates has fixed this but my version is up to date and it still hogs memory. I still prefer it to IE though.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kilroy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:08 am

Madison wrote:Vista stinks too, but that's a whole different can of worms. :-P

I had a hunch that would the case, which is why I'm in no hurry whatsoever to switch to it.

I use IE7 at work (Firefox doesn't support the Alexa toolbar, which is installed on my PC at the office), but I prefer Mozilla, and use it at home.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Madison » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:53 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:

I had a hunch that would the case, which is why I'm in no hurry whatsoever to switch to it.

To be fair, it's just too new, so a few things are not compatible with it yet (they will be eventually, but it stinks at the moment). There are some amazingly cool features on it (thumbnail views of web pages - rotating screens - they even upgraded minsweeper (!) -etc), but the current flaws are why it stinks. For example, mine came with Vista Premium Home on it. I upgraded to Ultimate (the best one) for a few reasons like being able to encrypt my entire hard drive (which isn't available on Premium Home), but on Ultimate, if you shut down or reboot and you use a wireless connection, it doesn't release the IP correctly, so you have to go back in manually to release and reconnect. There will be a patch released, but until then Vista stinks for bugs like this one. And it's not the only bug either, just the dumbest in my opinion. :-P

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:25 am

Madison wrote:
Kilroy1872 wrote:

To be fair, it's just too new, so a few things are not compatible with it yet (they will be eventually, but it stinks at the moment). There are some amazingly cool features on it (thumbnail views of web pages - rotating screens - they even upgraded minsweeper (!) -etc), but the current flaws are why it stinks. For example, mine came with Vista Premium Home on it. I upgraded to Ultimate (the best one) for a few reasons like being able to encrypt my entire hard drive (which isn't available on Premium Home), but on Ultimate, if you shut down or reboot and you use a wireless connection, it doesn't release the IP correctly, so you have to go back in manually to release and reconnect. There will be a patch released, but until then Vista stinks for bugs like this one. And it's not the only bug either, just the dumbest in my opinion. :-P

I figured that it'd be chock-full-o-bugs, so I think I'll just wait until they get the kinks worked out before I worry about switching.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby sox 06 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:52 am

Madison wrote:Yeah, I've noticed the logo thing myself. Just bought a new laptop with Vista and IE 7 on it. Tested out Firefox as well, and will never use it again. Hunk of junk Firefox won't even let you go back into a post and insert a smiley. :-b Needless to say that I'm less than impressed with Firefox and I'll stick with IE 7. I still don't even see what the big deal is with tab browsing (which seems to be a big reason why people like Firefox over IE, but IE 7 has tab browsing now - I've tried it on both - no big deal and I doubt I use it at all). Not sure about resource use difference between the two, but Firefox pages load funny. Keeps changing sizes and things. Quite funny to watch once or twice, annoying after that. Toss in all the Firefox exclusive viruses running around now (I love firewalls) and I just don't see any reason to use it over IE. And no, I'm not a Microsoft fanboy in the least, but until someone builds something good, I'll stick with what works the way I want it to.

Vista stinks too, but that's a whole different can of worms. :-P

I agree with everything you said. The pages load funny and IE now has tab web browsing so I think I'm gonna stick with IE, just because the pages load faster and better.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby beanoX3 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:19 pm

First time I switched to Firefox, I didn't see why people got so excited about tabbed browsing. Then I got used to it and couldn't stand how IE6 didn't have it. With IE7, I kind of got annoyed with how their tabs worked, since I was so used to Firefox.

Basically, I guess if you've never used Firefox before, IE7 should be fine. But me, since I'm an established Firefox user, I won't be going back. I've been using it long enough now that I don't really notice some of the quirks anymore. And really, I've never experienced Firefox loading pages funny. Only problems I've run into with Firefox has been the memory hogging and the occasional website that isn't compatible with Firefox. But the compatibility issues have largely disappeared by now, except for certain sites that tell me to open in IE for media viewing purposes.

As for Vista, like all the other new OS's Microsoft has ever released, I probably won't upgrade at least until the first service pack is out. That has been what I've always done, unless I bought a new computer that came with the new OS already installed. Except for Windows ME. Never ever installed that piece of junk, lol.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk