300 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby citybirds27 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:22 pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7RQm37K-clg& ... ed&search=

This movie needs its own thread

This movie needs its own myspace:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =116033565

Please comment on the epic battle of Thermopylae and the movie.
Last edited by citybirds27 on Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citybirds27
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tiki » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:23 pm

Movie looks bomb tits! Can't wait to see it, but I think I might research the battle a little because I know nothing about it! :-o
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Jimboozie » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:25 pm

It looks sweeter than a bowl of corn pops but I don't like all this hype surrounding it.

The name of the game is low expectations. If you can convince yourself that it won't be a great movie, then you won't be as disappointed if it isn't.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:26 pm

Tiki wrote:Movie looks bomb tits! Can't wait to see it, but I think I might research the battle a little because I know nothing about it! :-o

Read Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. It'll blow your mind.

Ask Madison - he just finished it and he loved it. I'm not kidding you - this book is WELL worth the read. It's in my top five favorites of all-time.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby citybirds27 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:39 pm

Tiki wrote:Movie looks bomb tits! Can't wait to see it, but I think I might research the battle a little because I know nothing about it! :-o

If you're not a reading type, then all you need to know is that a group of 300 Spartans (greatest warriors of all time) were trying to hold back anywhere from 120,000 to 2,000,000 Persions (numbers vary) for THREE days to give their city of Sparta time to prepare. Pretty much epic.

IT's called the Battle of Thermopylae if you want to do research on it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae
citybirds27
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby m16a » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:45 pm

this looks like an excellent movie. i hope they portray the legendary spartans well. they deserve nothing less.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 47)

Postby beanoX3 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:55 pm

The movie is based on a graphic novel, so I've got very little faith that it adheres to any type of historical accuracy, if anyone cares about that. That said though, I'd actually prefer if the movie dropped all historical pretenses and went entirely mythological. Something "Troy" should have done IMO. My interest in the Illiad was always toward the machinations of the gods and the heroes rather than straight up warfare and Brad Pitt's butt.

Like Jimboozie has suggested, I've got very low expectations of 300. Eliminates a huge sense of disappointment if the movie flops. I put little faith in trailers too nowadays, since so many movies seem to blow their good stuff all in the trailers and leave crap for the actual movie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby eman » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:21 pm

beanoX3 wrote:The movie is based on a graphic novel, so I've got very little faith that it adheres to any type of historical accuracy, if anyone cares about that. That said though, I'd actually prefer if the movie dropped all historical pretenses and went entirely mythological. Something "Troy" should have done IMO. My interest in the Illiad was always toward the machinations of the gods and the heroes rather than straight up warfare and Brad Pitt's butt.

Like Jimboozie has suggested, I've got very low expectations of 300. Eliminates a huge sense of disappointment if the movie flops. I put little faith in trailers too nowadays, since so many movies seem to blow their good stuff all in the trailers and leave crap for the actual movie.

Yea. The movie is based on the graphic novel and both are drastic exaggerations based upon the Battle of Thermawhatever. The actual battle was 300 vs 12k or so, whereas the movie and graphic novel up the ante from 12kish to 1 millionish. The movie looks awesome though, Ill definitely be seeing it, especially since unlike Troy it looks as though they focused on awesomeness first and realism/accuracy second. :)
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby knapplc » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:22 pm

beanoX3 wrote:The movie is based on a graphic novel, so I've got very little faith that it adheres to any type of historical accuracy, if anyone cares about that. That said though, I'd actually prefer if the movie dropped all historical pretenses and went entirely mythological. Something "Troy" should have done IMO. My interest in the Illiad was always toward the machinations of the gods and the heroes rather than straight up warfare and Brad Pitt's butt.

I hear what you're saying. I'm just going to say that I'm cautiously optimistic.

This is a great story. I'll be very angry if they F it up.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:15 pm

From the commericals, I think it looks awful, but that's JMO. At least I won't be disappointed no matter how good or bad it is.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Next

Return to General Talk