Jaguar kills Denver Zookeeper - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Jaguar kills Denver Zookeeper

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jaguar kills Denver Zookeeper

Postby Kilroy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:15 am

From AOL.com:

Jaguar Fatally Mauls Denver Zookeeper
AP

DENVER (Feb. 24) - A zookeeper died Saturday after a 140-pound jaguar mauled her in the doorway of its exhibit, and the big cat was fatally shot when it approached emergency workers treating the injured woman, the zoo said.

The zookeeper, whose name was not immediately released, was taken to a Denver hospital, where she died, police spokesman Sonny Jackson said.

The park closed after the shooting. It planned to reopen Sunday, but the feline building was to remain closed.

"We are deeply saddened by this loss. It is with utmost sympathy that our condolences go out to this zookeepers family and loved ones," zoo President and CEO Clayton Freiheit said. "This keeper was a part of our family and we too are grieving the loss of one of our own."

Zoo officials did not know how the mauling occurred or what led up to the attack, spokeswoman Amy Sarno said.

The investigation may center on how the jaguar came in contact with the zookeeper. Under zoo policy, staff cannot be in any large cat exhibit when the animal is there.

The zookeeper had undergone regular safety training for the exhibit, had shadowed veteran keepers and had attended mandatory safety meetings, officials said.

The jaguar, a 6-year-old male named Jorge, was shot by a zoo employee and the public was never at risk, the zoo said. The big cat had been at the zoo for nearly two years.

The facility added a 16-month-old female jaguar named Caipora in December, the zoo's Web site said. The female was to be paired with Jorge when she was old enough.

The Web site notes: "The jaguar is the third largest cat in the world behind the tiger and lion. Yet, they have the most powerful jaw of all the big cats."

Tragic that the zookeeper lost her life, and sad that the jaguar was put down basically for being a jaguar.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mrblitz » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:49 am

Weird little thing I've noticed. Darrent Williams was 24 when he was killed, Nash also 24. And this Zookeeper was killed on the 24th. All these things Denver related and the number 24. Weird. :-?

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:41 am

Helluva way to go. I'm interested to see how this happened, if we'll ever find out.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:57 am

This is what happens when you put wild animals in cages. $20 says this woman was at fault. And now she and the animal are dead.

That's just tragic.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby m16a » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:14 pm

thats a cryin shame:( hope the family is ok :,-(
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby The_Captain » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:23 pm

The article printed in the Denver Post doesn't give much more detail to the incident than the original post, but the one interesting fact (which I thought was interesting), was it was the first time anyone had been killed at the zoo. They haven't had an injury in over 40 years.

This is greatly tragic for the family.
Last edited by The_Captain on Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:14 pm

mrblitz wrote:Weird little thing I've noticed. Darrent Williams was 24 when he was killed, Nash also 24. And this Zookeeper was killed on the 24th. All these things Denver related and the number 24. Weird. :-?

Is there anyone from Denver in the cast of 24? I bet they get killed off in the show. ;-)

That's a lot for that city to deal with. The death of two football players, a zookeeper, and a jaguar. Awful. :,-(
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:37 pm

That truly is a sad story. :,-(

It does go to show something though. No matter what you do to train an animal, they revert back to their true nature. They kill. We saw the same thing with the snake handler that died about 5-6 months back. They do what they do. :-/
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:37 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:
mrblitz wrote:Weird little thing I've noticed. Darrent Williams was 24 when he was killed, Nash also 24. And this Zookeeper was killed on the 24th. All these things Denver related and the number 24. Weird. :-?

Is there anyone from Denver in the cast of 24? I bet they get killed off in the show. ;-)

That would be HILARIOUS! :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to General Talk