NFL Combine Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

NFL Combine Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby skibrett15 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:06 pm

sportsaddict wrote:The combine is overated. It means nothing. Seriously, all the 40 times are skewed anyway, none of them are really correct, and plus the 40 is not at all indicative of game speed. You can be the fastest guy on the track but when it comes to football, you need to have "football speed."

The only reason the combine gets any attention is because people like us on the Cafe are desperate for football. :-b

I'm pretty sure the 40 times are correct. They're the most correct 40 times since they're electronically timed. The pro day times are hand-timed which puts a huge amount of error on them. Timers have to react to the start of the player and when they cross the finish line. Screws everything up.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:17 pm

skibrett15 wrote:
sportsaddict wrote:The combine is overated. It means nothing. Seriously, all the 40 times are skewed anyway, none of them are really correct, and plus the 40 is not at all indicative of game speed. You can be the fastest guy on the track but when it comes to football, you need to have "football speed."

The only reason the combine gets any attention is because people like us on the Cafe are desperate for football. :-b

I'm pretty sure the 40 times are correct. They're the most correct 40 times since they're electronically timed. The pro day times are hand-timed which puts a huge amount of error on them. Timers have to react to the start of the player and when they cross the finish line. Screws everything up.

The times are always going to be different b/c of the track they have them running on. I believe that the Indy track is slow :-?
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:39 pm

How are Combine 40 times skewed? Everyone runs on the same surfacre with the same timing system. Pro Day 40 times are skewed but Combine times definitely aren't.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby skibrett15 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:44 pm

obviously the combine times are the baseline times and have been for years. So the fact that a 4.4 is fast is based on a 4.4 being run at the combine in indianapolis, slow track or not. It's the whole basis of the evaluation: the fact that it was run at the combine. Can't compare apples to oranges.

I can see Olson jumping into the first round which is a sham because he really didn't do all that much in college and even he admits he is a terrible blocker. The size/speed combo is going to lure someone into taking him too early. I just hope it isn't the pack.
Marshawn Lynch's official time from NFL network is a 4.46. Not that bad, but not the 4.3 something he expected/promised.

There's a TE from Boise State, Schouman who lit up the combine in almost every agility category, but he's only 6-2 and 230something, so I'm hearing he's more of a FB? He produced in college, even if it was at Boise State. He did well in the Fiesta Bowl from what I remember.
Brian Leonard also ran a 4.49 (unofficial from today) and he looks like he's a tailback. If he's there in the 2nd I think he's a pretty good pick due to his great success at Rutgers playing both a hybrid FB/RB and pure RB positions. He can catch the ball and pick up short tough yards. Solid looking player.
(Thanks Leber)
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby killiansjmd » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:50 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:

The times are always going to be different b/c of the track they have them running on. I believe that the Indy track is slow :-?

The field in Indy was considered slow until they put the new field turf down. Now it's considred a fast track.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby killiansjmd » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:51 pm

confused_jake wrote:
VaderFin wrote:Hhhmmm, I don't remember specifics but I thought I read that Thomas was very unimpressive in the bench press....anyone got info on that?

Jamarcus Russell = Akili Smith

I heard thomas only had 21 reps of 225.

I think 21 is not correct considering that Brady Quinn did 24 reps of 225. I believe Thomas hit around 29 reps. A couple of O-lineman did 40 reps.
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby killiansjmd » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:10 pm

Peterson performs well at Combine despite heavy heart
The prevailing thought around the NFL coming into this weekend was that Oklahoma RB Adrian Peterson was an extremely tough guy with a warrior's mentality. He proved that Sunday when he performed, as planned, with the other running backs, even running scintillating 40 times, despite the fact that his 20-year-old half-brother was shot seven times and killed Saturday night. We hear that Peterson's performance, despite likely not getting much sleep at all, has cemented his standing as one of the top three picks in the draft

http://nflblogs.profootballweekly.com/NFLdraft/

Not sure how close he was to his half brother but he really put it behind him and did awesome today at the combine.
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:13 pm

killiansjmd wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:

The field in Indy was considered slow until they put the new field turf down. Now it's considred a fast track.

Thanks i knew i had heard something like that ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Felix the Cat » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:39 am

skibrett15 wrote:obviously the combine times are the baseline times and have been for years. So the fact that a 4.4 is fast is based on a 4.4 being run at the combine in indianapolis, slow track or not. It's the whole basis of the evaluation: the fact that it was run at the combine. Can't compare apples to oranges.

I can see Olson jumping into the first round which is a sham because he really didn't do all that much in college and even he admits he is a terrible blocker. The size/speed combo is going to lure someone into taking him too early. I just hope it isn't the pack.
Marshawn Lynch's official time from NFL network is a 4.46. Not that bad, but not the 4.3 something he expected/promised.

There's a TE from Boise State, Schouman who lit up the combine in almost every agility category, but he's only 6-2 and 230something, so I'm hearing he's more of a FB? He produced in college, even if it was at Boise State. He did well in the Fiesta Bowl from what I remember.
Brian Leonard also ran a 4.49 (unofficial from today) and he looks like he's a tailback. If he's there in the 2nd I think he's a pretty good pick due to his great success at Rutgers playing both a hybrid FB/RB and pure RB positions. He can catch the ball and pick up short tough yards. Solid looking player.

1. Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne have called the Indy field fast, so I'd say it would be considered fast...

2. Kolby Smith (RB, Louisville) ran an official 4.51, .02 slower than Brian Leonard's 4.49, but we all know only one of the two will be playing tailback in the NFL.
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby skibrett15 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:37 am

Felix the Cat wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:obviously the combine times are the baseline times and have been for years. So the fact that a 4.4 is fast is based on a 4.4 being run at the combine in indianapolis, slow track or not. It's the whole basis of the evaluation: the fact that it was run at the combine. Can't compare apples to oranges.

1. Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne have called the Indy field fast, so I'd say it would be considered fast...

2. Kolby Smith (RB, Louisville) ran an official 4.51, .02 slower than Brian Leonard's 4.49, but we all know only one of the two will be playing tailback in the NFL.

Oh, I know Indy is fast, but it's still how the 40 is measured.
2. Will depend on the team that drafts him. He'd be a great HB from what I can see. I refer you to Jerome Bettis, Najeh Davenport. It takes a lot more bulk than Leonard has to play FB in the NFL.
(Thanks Leber)
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to College Football