NFL Combine Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

NFL Combine Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:27 am

Moments ago, the guys working the combine for the NFL Network said that Jarrett recently has been timed in the mid-4.7 range while working out privately.

He didn't run at the combine, but The rumors are Jarrett is not runnng fast. I guess we will see at pro day
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby killiansjmd » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:42 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
Moments ago, the guys working the combine for the NFL Network said that Jarrett recently has been timed in the mid-4.7 range while working out privately.

He didn't run at the combine, but The rumors are Jarrett is not runnng fast. I guess we will see at pro day

There is going to be a lot of pressure on Jarrett to run a good forty time at his pro day now. He has a lot of money at stake based on that forty time. If he runs in the 4.7's then teams are going to think he's another Mike Williams and he will falll out of the first round. Guys like Meacham from Ten. and his teammate S.Smith improved their first round chances with very good forty times yesterday.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:44 am

killiansjmd wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

There is going to be a lot of pressure on Jarrett to run a good forty time at his pro day now. He has a lot of money at stake based on that forty time. If he runs in the 4.7's then teams are going to think he's another Mike Williams and he will falll out of the first round. Guys like Meacham from Ten. and his teammate S.Smith improved their first round chances with very good forty times yesterday.

I think the 40 time is overrated, but with that said a 4.7 by a WR is bad.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ShoelessJoe » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:29 am

skibrett15 wrote:Oh, I know Indy is fast, but it's still how the 40 is measured.

If everybody is tested on the same track and they're all tested using the same laser system which to me seems to be more reliable than some pro scout using a stop watch then how is it not a solid system? You can see from the 40 times who is fast and who is slow in terms of this year's class and how everyone relates to one another.

I guess technically you could say that the 40 times are skewed based on the simple definition of the term because you have the fat linemen who run a 8.9 - 40, so obviously your data will be skewed. But that's like saying that America's income is skewed, it's obvious because there's nobody that is going to lose 6 billion dollars this year but there are people who are going to make 6 billion dollars this year.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby skibrett15 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:51 pm

we're saying the exact same thing.
40 times at the combine are the only legitimate time because it's the track teams are using as a baseline. Also, they're electronically timed which is far more accurate than hand timing.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby ShoelessJoe » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:01 pm

skibrett15 wrote:we're saying the exact same thing.
40 times at the combine are the only legitimate time because it's the track teams are using as a baseline. Also, they're electronically timed which is far more accurate than hand timing.

Sorry I just misquoted. My post was in response to the quote made by 'sportsaddict' earlier about how 40 times are skewed.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Felix the Cat » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:47 pm

skibrett15 wrote:
Felix the Cat wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:obviously the combine times are the baseline times and have been for years. So the fact that a 4.4 is fast is based on a 4.4 being run at the combine in indianapolis, slow track or not. It's the whole basis of the evaluation: the fact that it was run at the combine. Can't compare apples to oranges.

I can see Olson jumping into the first round which is a sham because he really didn't do all that much in college and even he admits he is a terrible blocker. The size/speed combo is going to lure someone into taking him too early. I just hope it isn't the pack.
Marshawn Lynch's official time from NFL network is a 4.46. Not that bad, but not the 4.3 something he expected/promised.

There's a TE from Boise State, Schouman who lit up the combine in almost every agility category, but he's only 6-2 and 230something, so I'm hearing he's more of a FB? He produced in college, even if it was at Boise State. He did well in the Fiesta Bowl from what I remember.
Brian Leonard also ran a 4.49 (unofficial from today) and he looks like he's a tailback. If he's there in the 2nd I think he's a pretty good pick due to his great success at Rutgers playing both a hybrid FB/RB and pure RB positions. He can catch the ball and pick up short tough yards. Solid looking player.

1. Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne have called the Indy field fast, so I'd say it would be considered fast...

2. Kolby Smith (RB, Louisville) ran an official 4.51, .02 slower than Brian Leonard's 4.49, but we all know only one of the two will be playing tailback in the NFL.

Oh, I know Indy is fast, but it's still how the 40 is measured.
2. Will depend on the team that drafts him. He'd be a great HB from what I can see. I refer you to Jerome Bettis, Najeh Davenport. It takes a lot more bulk than Leonard has to play FB in the NFL.

To put it very bluntly: is it possible for a white guy to play tailback in the NFL of 2007? I get the feeling that the institutional bias in the NFL may be too far skewed in the direction of "tailback is only played by black guys" for a white guy to even have a chance.

That's only one of many racial preconceptions that seem built into the NFL system today. For an example of another, take a look at JaMarcus Russell versus Brady Quinn. I don't know how many times I've heard it said that "Russell is more of a scrambling quarterback, while Quinn is more of a pocket passer", or something to that effect. That's simply not true. Both are pocket passers. The closest difference to that statement is that Russell throws better than Quinn while rolling. Russell's unofficial 40 time is actually slower than Quinn's! I get the impression that people assume that Russell is a scrambler simply because he's black.
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby jayday » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:49 pm

For an example of another, take a look at JaMarcus Russell versus Brady Quinn. I don't know how many times I've heard it said that "Russell is more of a scrambling quarterback, while Quinn is more of a pocket passer", or something to that effect. That's simply not true. Both are pocket passers. The closest difference to that statement is that Russell throws better than Quinn while rolling. Russell's unofficial 40 time is actually slower than Quinn's! I get the impression that people assume that Russell is a scrambler simply because he's black.

Quinn is a better scrambler(when he has to) and imo is the better overall athlete....Russell's cannon, and I mean cannon, of an arm is why he is such an intriguing prospect....He has a stronger arm than anyone in the league right now....

I actualy like Quinn better as a prospect....I think he is more pro-ready and will have more success in the NFL than he did in college where Notre Dame under-performed (or they were overrated, depending on how you want to look at it)....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:54 pm

jayday wrote:
For an example of another, take a look at JaMarcus Russell versus Brady Quinn. I don't know how many times I've heard it said that "Russell is more of a scrambling quarterback, while Quinn is more of a pocket passer", or something to that effect. That's simply not true. Both are pocket passers. The closest difference to that statement is that Russell throws better than Quinn while rolling. Russell's unofficial 40 time is actually slower than Quinn's! I get the impression that people assume that Russell is a scrambler simply because he's black.

Quinn is a better scrambler(when he has to) and imo is the better overall athlete....Russell's cannon, and I mean cannon, of an arm is why he is such an intriguing prospect....He has a stronger arm than anyone in the league right now....

I actualy like Quinn better as a prospect....I think he is more pro-ready and will have more success in the NFL than he did in college where Notre Dame under-performed (or they were overrated, depending on how you want to look at it)....

I totally agree with u Jay. Quinn is a decent scrambler when he has to, he made that long run against USC this year on what looked like a QB draw almost. I think Quinn is more gifted in the reading of defenses and the competativeness, while jaMarcus is just raw talent
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:09 pm

Some reports coming out are that Chris Leak scored an 8 on the wonderlic
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to College Football