How Many Lives does this Wrestler Have - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

How Many Lives does this Wrestler Have

Moderator: Football Moderators

How Many Lives does this Wrestler Have

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:03 pm

[quote]SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Olympic wrestling champion Rulon Gardner and two Utah men were rescued by a Lake Powell fisherman Sunday after surviving a small plane crash near Good Hope Bay the day before.

Gardner was a passenger in the Cirrus SR 22 along with pilot Randy Brooks and his brother, Leslie Brooks, according to a news release from Becki Bronson, public information officer for Garfield County. The plane was flying low when it struck the water and all three men were able to get out of the plane before it sank.

Authorities are uncertain of the exact location of the crash, but the three men swam for more than an hour in 44-degree water before reaching shore and then spent the night without shelter, according to the release. None suffered life-threatening injuries, authorities said.

"It takes only about 30 minutes for someone swimming in 44 degree water to start suffering the effects of hypothermia, so the fact that they swam in it for an hour, not to mention surviving the plane crash and the night without fire or shelter, is pretty amazing," said Steven Luckesen, a district ranger at Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. "If these guys were a cat with nine lives, they just used up three of them."

Gardner and the Brooks called a relative to take them for medical attention in American Fork.

The cause of the crash is still under investigation, Bronson said.

Gardner pulled one of the most stunning upsets in Olympic history at the 2000 Sydney Olympics, winning the gold medal in Greco-Roman wrestling by ending Alexander Karelin's 13-year international winning streak. In 2004 in Athens, Gardner won the bronze medal, and in wrestling tradition, left his shoes on the mat as a symbolic way of announcing his retirement.

This is not the first time, he has survived a life-threatening accident. In 2002, he became stranded while snowmobiling in the Wyoming wilderness and lost one of his toes to frostbite. Then in 2004, he was struck by an automobile while riding a motorcycle.[/quote]

Talk about cheating death
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BlueBandit24 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:46 pm

I saw this today too, crazy. He continues to defy death, although I can't imagine anyone will want to continue hanging out with him with his kind of luck. :-b
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby m16a » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:30 pm

thats crazy. death is mad at him
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Flux » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:42 pm

8-o

wowzers
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:55 pm

I bet Karelin can't believe he lost to this guy
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby knapplc » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:19 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:I saw this today too, crazy. He continues to defy death, although I can't imagine anyone will want to continue hanging out with him with his kind of luck. :-b

Ain't that the truth! It'd be like, "Hey guys, want to go get a pizza?" and everyone would be like, "Yeah - but not with YOU!!" 8-o 8-o

:-b
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:32 pm

knapplc wrote:
BlueBandit24 wrote:I saw this today too, crazy. He continues to defy death, although I can't imagine anyone will want to continue hanging out with him with his kind of luck. :-b

Ain't that the truth! It'd be like, "Hey guys, want to go get a pizza?" and everyone would be like, "Yeah - but not with YOU!!" 8-o 8-o

I would totally hang out with this dood, no matter what happens to him, he lives and is fine. :-?
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby m16a » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:53 pm

knapplc wrote:

oh man thats for sure!!! :-o
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby lmcjaho » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:39 pm

knapplc wrote:Ain't that the truth! It'd be like, "Hey guys, want to go get a pizza?" and everyone would be like, "Yeah - but not with YOU!!" 8-o 8-o

Or at least, "yeah, but I'M driving!"
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby SeaWolf » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:17 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:
knapplc wrote:

I would totally hang out with this dood, no matter what happens to him, he lives and is fine. :-?

Let's see. he's missing a toe and had to swin for an hour in 44 degree water and had ti wait until morning before being pick up. I wouldn't want to be in the same building with this dude. He may live, but he's been though hell.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to General Talk