$100 computer...Smart buy or waste of money - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

$100 computer...Smart buy or waste of money

Moderator: Football Moderators

$100 computer...Smart buy or waste of money

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:53 am

My school is selling used computers at discount prices. The only thing I would use it for is the internet and word documents (games and other stuff i could do on our main computer). I know almost nothing about computers so I was hoping that someone with some knowledge could tell me if this was a good deal or if it is just a waste of money. Here are the details:

RCTC will be selling used computers to interested students starting on Thursday, March 1.

Omnitech PC- desktop model $100.00
Intel Pentium4 1.8 GHZ CPU
256 MB RAM
40 GB hard drive
52X CD-Rom
Keyboard/mouse
Windows 2000 license
Last edited by jake_twothousandfive on Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RWLongy4 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:57 am

If it's just for basic stuff it has what you need. I'm not sure if you have an old monitor lying around but that might be an expense you should consider as well before you buy it. If you decide to get it I would look into getting another RAM chip cheap and you should be golden.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:58 am

RWLongy4 wrote:If it's just for basic stuff it has what you need. I'm not sure if you have an old monitor lying around but that might be an expense you should consider as well before you buy it. If you decide to get it I would look into getting another RAM chip cheap and you should be golden.

Yeah, I have a monitor I could use.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beanoX3 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:32 am

$100 bucks for that isn't too bad. Only thing that would annoy me a bit would be Windows 2000.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:49 am

beanoX3 wrote:$100 bucks for that isn't too bad. Only thing that would annoy me a bit would be Windows 2000.

Yeah, that and the low amount of RAM. Otherwise it's not bad I suppose. If you are just going to use it for basic functions and nothing too RAM intensive (movie editing, gaming) you could probably get by.

(Just for quick reference - you can get a base Dell PC with a slower processor, but it comes with Vista, double the memory and hard drive space for right around $375 right now...I think they said Vista runs slow without 1 GB of RAM though. So, paying $100 for what you have there probably isn't bad.)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Teck » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:18 am

Its an alright deal, but you could make better for like 100 more, but if you're on a tight budget go and do it.
Thanks Wicked for the sig!
Teck
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:09 am

Fro $100 the computer will work great for internet and Word Processing. The only thing I would say is don't forget that you will have to find a copy os Windows 2000 Media (you already have the license, but it will be wiped clean).

I have dealt with a lot of these school/business auction computers with our church-school and they work great and Windows 2000 is an incredibly stable OS. So for a reliable internet computer, go for it. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to General Talk