Germany or Florida - ANSWERED - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Germany or Florida - ANSWERED

Moderator: Football Moderators

Where did the unemployed scammer steal an entire buffet?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:46 pm

Germany
30%
Florida
70%

Total votes : 30

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:16 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:
knapplc wrote:
lmcjaho wrote:Do they even HAVE unemployed people in Germany!??

I think their unemployment rate is higher than ours, actually. Europe as a whole I think has higher unemployment.

IIRC unemployment is fairly high in Germany, and it's partially due to the fact that their unemployment compensation is so good that when folks lose their jobs they're in no huge rush to find a new one (saw a documentary about it a few years back).

Germany is crazy about there work system. In grade scholl it is decided where you are gonna work at, even people who are gonna work in McDonalds are geared towards that and are started working there early. A major problem is people who go to college, you go and when it is over you have to pass a test, if you don't you are basically screwed b/c like i said even the McDonalds jobs are already taken. My wifes cousin went to school in Germany(she is half German) then was afraid she would fail the test and have no job so she married and American and moved over here to the states and lives in DC as a housewife to a guy she really doesn't like that much
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:28 am

Ok, after reading the article I'm going Florida. However, I don't know how you'd 'steal' a buffet.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby danleroi22 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:53 am

FL...
Questions or Comments? Feel free to PM me.

I know that I've been given more than beyond measure.
danleroi22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Kilroy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:42 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Ok, after reading the article I'm going Florida. However, I don't know how you'd 'steal' a buffet.

He hid it in his stomach.

:-B

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Redskins Win » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:54 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Ok, after reading the article I'm going Florida. However, I don't know how you'd 'steal' a buffet.

the same way you steely a dan ;-D
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:47 pm

One quick question to everyone picking Florida - when has an American been convicted of a crime like stealing several thousand "monetary units" worth of something and received only a suspended jail term?

That was the big clue I left in this one.

So, of course, that means the answer must be - GERMANY

BERLIN (Reuters) - A jobless German has been handed a five-month suspended jail term for stealing a buffet for 60 people and eating it with friends, authorities said on Tuesday.

Using a false name, the 46-year-old from the western city of Dortmund ordered the 3,700-euro ($4,890) feast to be sent to the club house of a garden allotment colony.

Shortly after the caterers delivered the food, he called the company to say they had made a mistake and he would return the order. As puzzled club house guests looked on, he loaded the buffet into his car and sped off.

The food was never seen again -- but the man was recognized one day by one of the club house guests, who told the police, the presiding judge at the court in Dortmund said.

"The man said he wanted to treat his friends to something special," said Judge Gerhard Breuer. "I told him his story would make a good movie." As well as receiving a suspended jail term, the man must repay his debt to the caterer, the court ruled.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:50 pm

knapplc wrote:One quick question to everyone picking Florida - when has an American been convicted of a crime like stealing several thousand "monetary units" worth of something and received only a suspended jail term?
That was the big clue I left in this one.

So, of course, that means the answer must be - GERMANY

BERLIN (Reuters) - A jobless German has been handed a five-month suspended jail term for stealing a buffet for 60 people and eating it with friends, authorities said on Tuesday.

Using a false name, the 46-year-old from the western city of Dortmund ordered the 3,700-euro ($4,890) feast to be sent to the club house of a garden allotment colony.

Shortly after the caterers delivered the food, he called the company to say they had made a mistake and he would return the order. As puzzled club house guests looked on, he loaded the buffet into his car and sped off.

The food was never seen again -- but the man was recognized one day by one of the club house guests, who told the police, the presiding judge at the court in Dortmund said.

"The man said he wanted to treat his friends to something special," said Judge Gerhard Breuer. "I told him his story would make a good movie." As well as receiving a suspended jail term, the man must repay his debt to the caterer, the court ruled.

You have never been in a Florida court i see ;-7 ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:52 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:You have never been in a Florida court i see ;-7 ;-D

No, but I do work in the legal world and I hear about stuff. This would have been the big tipoff for me, so when I took out everything that could say Germany I decided to leave this in as a clue.

But remember, I'm not going to give wonderful clues. You have to guess.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:52 pm

You changing that phrase to "Apartment Complex" is what had me thinking it was American.

And nothing about our court system would surprise me either.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:53 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:You changing that phrase to "Apartment Complex" is what had me thinking it was American.

And nothing about our court system would surprise me either.

Yes, but that's what it was, and using the term "garden allotment colony" would have been a dead giveaway. It's no fun if there's no question.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk