Is it tough to trade when you are on the top? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is it tough to trade when you are on the top?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is it tough to trade when you are on the top?

Postby mannubhai » Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:28 pm

My team has the best record so far(5-1). My team consists
QB- Steve McNair,Ramsey
RB- Ahman Green, Clinton Portis, Moe Williams, Marcell Shipp, Deshaun Foster, Tony Fisher
WR-Randy Moss, Torry Holt, Amani Toomer, Joey Galloway
TE- Bubba Franks
Def-Tennesse

We start 1qb, 1rb, 2wr, 1 te, 2 rb/wr,te, def.

I offered a trade to a 2-4 team . I asked for Charlie Garner and offered Moe Williams and Marcell Shipp. His RB ar Garner, Hearst and Eddie George and pretty ordinary WR with Peerless Price, Marty Booker and Bobby Shaw.

The reason he gave for rejecting the trade was: "You are asking my starter for two of your bench players". I think it was a good trade for both of us.I wanted Garner, though he has sucked big time so far, cos I think he will get better when Porter returns to Oakland line up.

Was it a bad trade offer or was it because I have Moe and Marcell Shipp on bench?
mannubhai
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cliff Harris » Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:33 pm

It's super tough to trade when you're on top. Everyone thinks you know something that they don't.

I offered a very fair trade recently to this cat, but he was afraid to pull the trigger because he's intimidated by my record (and the incredible amount of luck I've been having).

Yes, it's lonely at the top.
Cliff Harris
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby josebach » Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:45 pm

Cliff Harris wrote:I offered a very fair trade recently to this cat...

The difference is, this wasn't a fair trade. Marcel Ship and Moe Williams might both be on the bench in a couple weeks. Why would somebody trade an guaranteed every week starter for two potential non-starters?
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:04 am

His answer was correct (no), but for the wrong reasons (they are your bench players). It says a lot for your team, when your bench guys are better than his starters (this is one of the many reasons I like to draft 3 RBs 3WRS (or 2 WRs 1 TE), before I even touch starting QBs, Ks DEF...).

Right so anyway, if he had said "the two guys you offered me might not be starting in 2 weeks", that would've been a good reason to refuse. The reason he gave just makes it sound like he isn't a very good coach. If your starting RBs were Holmes, Ahman and the backups were Lewis and Portis, he wouldn't take them cause they're on your bench? :-p
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BradtheImpaler » Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:24 am

well shipp and williams are not assured really anything, although for marcell's sake i wish he would as he seems to be a decent nfl talent wasting away in the desert.

so to answer the question, id say that the players you offered are not guys id would want in exchange for charlie garner.

i personally would trade with anyone reguardless of standings, but i would be careful with teams up higher than me, cause you do need to get better than them, and try and catch them record wise......id be more inclined to add in an extra player to the basement team just to get his studd player.
Angel Corpse, Vader, Vital Remains, Morbid Angel, Krisiun, Malevolent Creation, Dying Fetus, Misery Index, Satyricon..........

"Anything less would be uncivilized"
BradtheImpaler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby irishboy » Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:30 am

thats the problem with having a good team; worthy starters fo other teams are on YOUR bench b/c u have better players; so yes i think it is harder to trade when ur in first b/c the guys below feel like ur getting good playerd without making any sacrifices
IRISH PRIDE (WHAT'S WRONG WITH ALL CAPS)
irishboy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby greatgretzky » Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:59 am

exactly true. i agree that it is stupid to look at who is ont he bench etc in terms of the fantasy teams, the losing teams don't want to jsu timprove you without weaking you in some capacity. I think it is dumb to some degree, because you should worry abotu your roster first and foremost, but no one wants to make the trade that puts someone over the top either.
greatgretzky
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby PuntinFool » Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:08 am

KingGhidra wrote:If your starting RBs were Holmes, Ahman and the backups were Lewis and Portis, he wouldn't take them cause they're on your bench? :-p

Yeah, there's a good comparison. Or you could say that would he rather you trade starter for starter? Not going to happen, because Green and Portis are better than Garner, so it wouldn't be fair for you unless he threw someone else in. Then it gets messy.. but he has to understand that if you didn't have Green and/or Portis you'd definitely be starting Williams or Shipp.
PuntinFool
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby brdmaverick » Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:56 pm

irishboy wrote:thats the problem with having a good team; worthy starters fo other teams are on YOUR bench b/c u have better players; so yes i think it is harder to trade when ur in first b/c the guys below feel like ur getting good playerd without making any sacrifices

definitely, i coudln't have said it better myself. They also don't want to be the one responsible for 'giving' the other owner the title.
brdmaverick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moochman » Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:37 pm

That is why I draft a poor roster and get off to a bad start, I can trade! Seriously though, you need to offer equal value. He was right you were offering bench players for his starter, who will put up numbers yet. The problem with offers like that is that he will certainly think twice before dealing with you in the future.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Next

Return to Football Talk