JAKE PLUMMER TO RETIRE?? (merged) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

JAKE PLUMMER TO RETIRE?? (merged)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby dgan » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:31 pm

Goodness...would that kill Calvin Johnson's fantasy value or what?
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Will He Play or Not?

Postby madaslives911 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:24 pm

March 16, 2007
Allen Still Believes Plummer Will Play

Some people are harder to convince than others.

A week ago, Jake Plummer stood at the Denver Athletic Club, urged reporters to look into his eyes and hear his voice when he announced his plans to retire from the NFL.

Plummer, 32, had said as much on his website a week earlier after learning the Broncos had traded his rights to the Bucs.

He said as much over the telephone to Bucs coach Jon Gruden and general manager Bruce Allen.

Yet for some reason - Allen insists Plummer will not take a knee next season.

""I still believe he will play,'' Allen said Friday. "'In fact, I'm looking forward to talking to him again soon.''

Does Allen expect Plummer to play in Tampa Bay?

""Yes, that's why we traded for him, to play here,'' he said.

Plummer has three years remaining on his contract and the Bucs could force him to pay back $7-million in pro-rated signing bonus if he does not play in 2007. Tampa Bay will send a fourth round pick in 2008 if Plummer returns to the field by then. If not, they owe the Broncos a seventh round pick.

Allen would not comment on whether the Bucs intend to go after Plummer's signing bonus.

""I've never wanted to discuss individual players contracts before, so I won't now,'' Allen said. "'I expect him to play.''

But what about Jake's insistence that he's retired?

""Other Broncos quarterbacks have said they are retiring before and they didn't,'' Allen said.

Visit My Sigs Gallery

2008 Champion - Cafeholics Anonymous
2008 Champion - No Press Allowed
madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Will He Play or Not?

Postby Munboy » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:34 pm

madaslives911 wrote:
March 16, 2007

A week ago, Jake Plummer stood at the Denver Athletic Club, urged reporters to look into his eyes and hear his voice when he announced his plans to retire from the NFL.

Plummer, 32, had said as much on his website a week earlier after learning the Broncos had traded his rights to the Bucs.

He said as much over the telephone to Bucs coach Jon Gruden and general manager Bruce Allen.

""I still believe he will play,'' Allen said Friday. "'In fact, I'm looking forward to talking to him again soon.''

Plummer has three years remaining on his contract and the Bucs could force him to pay back $7-million in pro-rated signing bonus if he does not play in 2007. Tampa Bay will send a fourth round pick in 2008 if Plummer returns to the field by then. If not, they owe the Broncos a seventh round pick.

Allen would not comment on whether the Bucs intend to go after Plummer's signing bonus.

""I've never wanted to discuss individual players contracts before, so I won't now,'' Allen said. "'I expect him to play.''

""Other Broncos quarterbacks have said they are retiring before and they didn't,'' Allen said.

ahhhhh...so that's why they think he will play. Not playing will hurt his bank account :-b
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:38 pm

Jake Plummer is making himself look bad with this whole thing. He looks like a cry-baby. I think that the Bucs should figure out who he wants to play for and trade him there. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:53 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:Jake Plummer is making himself look bad with this whole thing. He looks like a cry-baby. I think that the Bucs should figure out who he wants to play for and trade him there. ;-D

That would be the Texans
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:57 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:Jake Plummer is making himself look bad with this whole thing. He looks like a cry-baby. I think that the Bucs should figure out who he wants to play for and trade him there. ;-D

That would be the Texans

Yeah, I think so too. Has he actually said that or just made references to it.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:16 pm

madaslives911 wrote:
March 16, 2007

I don't get the part I put in bold. How can the Bucs force him to pay back some of his signing bonus when the bonus was paid to him by Denver? :-?

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby madaslives911 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:40 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
I don't get the part I put in bold. How can the Bucs force him to pay back some of his signing bonus when the bonus was paid to him by Denver? :-?

here is the answer (Source: ROcky Mountain News)

.... {snipped} Which leads everyone to the $7 million.

There are already published reports that the Buccaneers are ready to go after some of Plummer's money to try to get him into their complex.

Plummer has three years left on his current contract, which was traded to the Buccaneers with him. Plummer received some bonus money in that contract in 2005 and 2006 in a renegotiation - $6.76 million in 2005, $2 million in 2006.

Plummer received the money, but for salary-cap accounting, the bonuses were counted on a prorated basis over the life of the contract. It's the remaining part of the prorated bonuses that amounts to close to $7 million.

Teams, having paid out money, have had some success retrieving that money if players suddenly, unexpectedly leave the game. The Miami Dolphins won the right to retrieve $8 million from running back Ricky Williams.

And while the Broncos were the ones who paid out the money, it appears they have made that possibility part of the trade to help the Buccaneers try to get Plummer in. It was likely the reason the Buccaneers still made the trade despite Plummer's announced retirement.

thus, Jake could only reture if he returns the $7 million. B-)
Visit My Sigs Gallery

2008 Champion - Cafeholics Anonymous
2008 Champion - No Press Allowed
madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:15 am

Gruden Still wants him :-[

PHOENIX - The Bucs plan to keep pressuring quarterback Jake Plummer into changing his mind about retirement and hopefully convince him to report to training camp.

Coach Jon Gruden said Monday he would like to schedule a face-to-face meeting with the former Broncos quarterback. Gruden and general manager Bruce Allen are in Phoenix for the NFL owners meetings this week. Plummer played at nearby Arizona State in Tempe, but Gruden said he isn't sure where or when a meeting might occur.

"We're trying to hook up with him to see if we'll have some opportunities to sit down with him face-to-face,"' Gruden said.

"Jake Plummer is hanging in the balance right now."

Despite Plummer's announcement of his retirement on his Web site and at an impromptu news conference in Denver, Gruden said the 32-year-old quarterback still is considering playing next season. Plummer has not submitted retirement papers to the NFL office.

The Bucs would like to at least have Plummer report to training camp, perhaps hoping the competition with Jeff Garcia and Chris Simms would take over. If Plummer was released under that scenario, the Bucs might not go after his $7-million pro-rated signing bonus.

The Bucs traded a conditional fourth-round draft pick in 2008 to the Broncos in exchange for the rights to Plummer. That pick becomes a seventh rounder if Plummer does not play in 2007.

Gruden said he is hopeful Plummer will make a decision in the next few weeks.

"We're using time as a cure-all here," Gruden said. "Let the dust settle a little bit and see what Jake wants to do. There are a lot of people who appear to have spoken to him or have an opinion on what's really going on. But the bottom line is he's deciding right now what he wants to do.

"He's a hell of a player, the tape I look at. All you have to do is watch the Broncos play. We'll see what happens with his situation the next couple of weeks."

Monday marked the first time Gruden has spoken publicly about the Bucs' offseason moves, including the signing of Garcia.

"I've been trying to get Garcia for four years," Gruden said. "It was the salary cap. We can't get him this year. We can't get him the next year. He's a go-getter, man. He's a pro football player. He scrapped for everything that he got."

Garcia, 37, is expected to battle Simms for the starting job. Simms signed a two-year contract with the Bucs in December before the Bucs traded for Plummer and signed Garcia.

Gruden said he expects Simms to respond well to the competition.

"No disrespect to him, but you've got to have some viable guys on your football team," Gruden said. "Chris is going to compete."

According to Gruden, the Bucs may not be done collecting quarterbacks. Tampa Bay picks fourth overall in the draft and plans schedule personal workouts for LSU's JaMarcus Russell and Notre Dame's Brady Quinn.

"You never know," Gruden said. "Jeff's 37 years old and he's a guy who has proven he can play. And Chris is coming off a serious injury. He appears to be at full strength. And (Bruce) Gradkowski has (11) starts. So at least we've got some guys with some good experiences, some bad experiences, indeed. But we'll see what happens."

I hate him :-t
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:46 am

I just saw on ESPN that the Bucs are interested in CPepp, Carr, Kerry Collins, & Vinny Testeverde. Not just one of them, all 4. Gruden was quoted as saying that he'd like to go with a different QB each quarter. ;-7 :-b ;-)

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk