Wes Welker to the Pats? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Wes Welker to the Pats?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby confused_jake » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:10 am

I really like the signing, Welker is definitley Belichick's type of player, especially with his versatility.
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dgan » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:13 am

confused_jake wrote:I really like the signing, Welker is definitley Belichick's type of player, especially with his versatility.

Yeah. He can return punts AND kickoffs! :-?

He'll probably be their leading receiver and make me look bad -- but if this is the impact player they are adding to the passing game, it's going to be another frustrating year for Brady.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby confused_jake » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:19 am

dgan wrote:
confused_jake wrote:I really like the signing, Welker is definitley Belichick's type of player, especially with his versatility.

He'll probably be their leading receiver and make me look bad -- but if this is the impact player they are adding to the passing game, it's going to be another frustrating year for Brady.

Well i remember in one game where he even had a couple punts and kicked an extra point.
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby VaderFin » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:31 am

Give me the 2nd rounder. Welker is an ok player at best. IF Miami drafts Ginn they would have a much better option in the return game and have that extra 2nd rounder. We need picks desperately. 2nd rounder come on down!!
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:54 am

dgan wrote:

It was a frustrating yr for Brady? :-?
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Lung » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:28 pm

From an NFL standpoint, I could see how both Miami and Pats fans are reacting to the news. Welker doesn't provide much of an impact to wins/losses, even on special teams, to warrant such a salary.

From a fantasy perspective, we have a huge sleeper here. If anybody was paying attention in the NFL playoffs, the Patriots made friggin' Jabbar Gaffney and Reche Caldwell relevant. During the regular season, even on a Miami team with horrible quarterbacking, Welker was fantasy relevant especially in point-per-reception leagues and leagues that rewards return yardage. At the end of the season:

• In my PPR league (one point per catch) that does not award return yardage, Welker was the #40 WR.
  • In a standard league (no PPR) that awards 1 point per 20 return yards, Welker was the #29 WR.
  • In my league that offers BOTH PPR (0.5 point per catch) and return yardage, (1 point per 20 return yards) Welker was the #15 WR.
All 10 or 12-man leagues.

Just goes to show you that league settings can make a big difference. But in the right format (PPR and return yardage) Welker could have made a BIG difference for your fantasy team. At one point in the season Welker was the #3 WR in this format! Welker likely went undrafted in nearly all leagues and people were basically able to get a top 15 WR off the waiver wire. B-)
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

Postby Felix the Cat » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:20 pm

I'm disappointed with this... simply because Welker (in Miami) was one of my top fantasy WR breakout candidates. Being with the Patriots reduces his fantasy value by a lot.
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Lung » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:08 pm

Felix the Cat wrote:I'm disappointed with this... simply because Welker (in Miami) was one of my top fantasy WR breakout candidates. Being with the Patriots reduces his fantasy value by a lot.

If there's no other free agent WR signing in New England, or high draft pick used on a marquee WR, then I disagree. I think Welker could be just as much a breakout candidate in New England.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

Postby sox 06 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:10 pm

The Lung wrote:
Felix the Cat wrote:I'm disappointed with this... simply because Welker (in Miami) was one of my top fantasy WR breakout candidates. Being with the Patriots reduces his fantasy value by a lot.

If there's no other free agent WR signing in New England, or high draft pick used on a marquee WR, then I disagree. I think Welker could be just as much a breakout candidate in New England.

You would think that but Brady spreads the ball out so much, this might not be the case. They didn't have a marque WR last season and there wasn't any real clear cut #1 WR between Brown/Caldwell/Gaffney/Jackson. Until the Pats get someone of Branch/CJ/AJ stature, I think this will always be the case. Sure Wekler might have a spectacular game here and there but in the end, all of the WR will be pretty much the same.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:13 pm

sox 06 wrote:
The Lung wrote:

You would think that but Brady spreads the ball out so much, this might not be the case. They didn't have a marque WR last season and there wasn't any real clear cut #1 WR between Brown/Caldwell/Gaffney/Jackson. Until the Pats get someone of Branch/CJ/AJ stature, I think this will always be the case. Sure Wekler might have a spectacular game here and there but in the end, all of the WR will be pretty much the same.

well said brotha

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk