Maroney's Value in 2007? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Maroney's Value in 2007?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:47 pm

Shaky #1.

He is the one young guy I would seriously consider at the end of round #1 as my first RB. Just look at what Dillon did in that system a few years ago. I know Maroney hasn't proven he can carry the load, but he is in a great position to succeed in 2007.


Maroney will be a steal in the 2nd round IMO. I think we will see the hype train push him up to the late first by the time the season starts though.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 6427
Joined: 2 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mattb47 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:51 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Shaky #1.

He is the one young guy I would seriously consider at the end of round #1 as my first RB. Just look at what Dillon did in that system a few years ago. I know Maroney hasn't proven he can carry the load, but he is in a great position to succeed in 2007.


Maroney will be a steal in the 2nd round IMO. I think we will see the hype train push him up to the late first by the time the season starts though.


I think that's more of his potential than his actual value at this point. His actual value because of all those concerns is more of an ok to solid #2 while he certainly has the upside to become a shaky to solid #1. Maroney was in that "system" last year and struggled for a good amount of the time he played in it. Certainly doesn't mean he wont succeed in it, but I do think it raises enough concerns that he is a HUGE reach at the end of the 1st round. A guy who hasnt proven a thing yet is in no way a steal in the 2nd round. That's about where his value is right now but even then I would hesitate before grabbing him.
Image
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14238
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:57 pm

mattb47 wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Shaky #1.

He is the one young guy I would seriously consider at the end of round #1 as my first RB. Just look at what Dillon did in that system a few years ago. I know Maroney hasn't proven he can carry the load, but he is in a great position to succeed in 2007.


Maroney will be a steal in the 2nd round IMO. I think we will see the hype train push him up to the late first by the time the season starts though.


I think that's more of his potential than his actual value at this point. His actual value because of all those concerns is more of an ok to solid #2 while he certainly has the upside to become a shaky to solid #1. Maroney was in that "system" last year and struggled for a good amount of the time he played in it. Certainly doesn't mean he wont succeed in it, but I do think it raises enough concerns that he is a HUGE reach at the end of the 1st round. A guy who hasnt proven a thing yet is in no way a steal in the 2nd round. That's about where his value is right now but even then I would hesitate before grabbing him.


How can you know his actual value at this point? He was the 2nd head of a RBBC last year, as opposed to a "featured" RB this year barring any signings. Last year a washed up Corey Dillon, the head of that RBBC, finished as a RB#2 in fantasy terms. Combine their point totals, and you are looking at a potential top5 RB.. 20 rushing TDs to RBs in NE in 2006. They are a run first team around the goalline, just ask Ben Watson owners.

And how can you say he struggled in the system BTW? At times last year he ran like a man among boys. The few poor outings he did have worked to bring his ypc down to a still very sturdy 4.3. Not even mentioning his proficiency in the receiving department.

My question to you, who do you choose at the end of the first ahead of Maroney? Assume guys like LT, LJ, SJ, SA, Portis, Westbrook, Parker, Gore, Rudi, etc. are gone. You're at pick 10-12 and you're looking at guys like Chestor Taylor, Addai, Mcgahee, Ronnie Brown, etc. I like Maroney's skillset better than most if not all of those players. And I like his situation better than most if not all as well. Addai is only RB that would really have me struggling with my decision, because if and when Rhodes leaves he is going to become a horse by default if no other signings are made. The Colt's RB is like 1500/10 in the bank if he stays healthy with plenty of room for more.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 6427
Joined: 2 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dawinner127 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:03 pm

Shaky #2
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6206
(Past Year: 70)
Joined: 15 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New Jersey

Postby mattb47 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:03 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
mattb47 wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Shaky #1.

He is the one young guy I would seriously consider at the end of round #1 as my first RB. Just look at what Dillon did in that system a few years ago. I know Maroney hasn't proven he can carry the load, but he is in a great position to succeed in 2007.


Maroney will be a steal in the 2nd round IMO. I think we will see the hype train push him up to the late first by the time the season starts though.


I think that's more of his potential than his actual value at this point. His actual value because of all those concerns is more of an ok to solid #2 while he certainly has the upside to become a shaky to solid #1. Maroney was in that "system" last year and struggled for a good amount of the time he played in it. Certainly doesn't mean he wont succeed in it, but I do think it raises enough concerns that he is a HUGE reach at the end of the 1st round. A guy who hasnt proven a thing yet is in no way a steal in the 2nd round. That's about where his value is right now but even then I would hesitate before grabbing him.


How can you know his actual value at this point? He was the 2nd head of a RBBC last year, as opposed to a "featured" RB this year barring any signings. Last year a washed up Corey Dillon, the head of that RBBC, finished as a RB#2 in fantasy terms. Combine their point totals, and you are looking at a potential top5 RB.. 20 rushing TDs to RBs in NE in 2006. They are a run first team around the goalline, just ask Ben Watson owners.

And how can you say he struggled in the system BTW? At times last year he ran like a man among boys. The few poor outings he did have worked to bring his ypc down to a still very sturdy 4.3. Not even mentioning his proficiency in the receiving department.

My question to you, who do you choose at the end of the first ahead of Maroney? Assume guys like LT, LJ, SJ, SA, Portis, Westbrook, Parker, Gore, Rudi, etc. are gone. You're at pick 10-12 and you're looking at guys like Chestor Taylor, Addai, Mcgahee, Ronnie Brown, etc. I like Maroney's skillset better than most if not all of those players. And I like his situation better than most if not all as well. Addai is only RB that would really have me struggling with my decision, because if and when Rhodes leaves he is going to become a horse by default if no other signings are made. The Colt's RB is like 1500/10 in the bank if he stays healthy with plenty of room for more.


Because, by saying he has good value in the first round and is a steal in the 2nd round you are assuming the upside comes true. When you take into account the significant risk that he carries with him because of the injury issues he struggled with even in a partial role and some of the performance struggles he had even being only used part time where he would be more fresh throughout the season there is no way you can keep him that high on your board.

I can say he struggled in that system because he was very inconsistent from week to week. It's not like he was good most of the time and then just had a really bad week or two that brought him down. He had 3.5 ypc or less in more than 1/3 of his games last season. Then you factor in that most players have their ypc drop by a good amount when they receive more of the carries so really that 4.3 ypc in a partial role isnt as good as you are making it sound.

Assuming LT, LJ, SJax, SA, Gore, Parker, Westy, Rudi, Portis are gone. I would take guys like Edge, Travis Henry, and Addai over him almost for sure and I would consider guys like Ronnie Brown, Willis McGahee, and Thomas Jones ahead of him as well. His "skillset" is once again referring to his upside, because he hasn't shown he carry the load in my opinion. He is skilled, of course, but there are other guys that are definitely more "proven" in my eyes and whom I would MUCH rather depend on as a #1 back than Maroney at this point.

His true value simply refers to where you place him considering his upside and risk...and he looked very mediocre at times last year and it doesn't bode great for a RB to look mediocre over 1/3 of a season in a partial role for him when he becomes the starter. That risk along with the questions of him being able to physically carry the load are enough to drop him to being a mid-2nd rounder for me as being around his value right now.
Image
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14238
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Azrael » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:37 pm

Late 1st early 2nd rounder.
Image
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 8283
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 29 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Keeping da cafe sucka free for 9 years straight

Postby skibrett15 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:30 pm

I think he's a 2nd rounder. Kevin Faulk is always a factor and they use him almost exclusively on the passing downs. Maroney actually saw less time on passing downs than Dillon in some games. THat was partly for mind games, but Maroney doesn't have world class hands at RB like Faulk, which will get him the pull on 3rd down. He's equivalent to Chester and Addai. I think I'd rather have Addai.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 5057
Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: At the Mafia Cafe

Postby DVSPatsfan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:51 am

That's about right on the money.

[quote]I say he is a tweener. Somewhere between solid/shaky #2.[/quote]
DVSPatsfan
Cheerleader
Cheerleader


Posts: 15
Joined: 3 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ROYALWITCHEESE » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:14 pm

mattb47 wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:
mattb47 wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Shaky #1.

He is the one young guy I would seriously consider at the end of round #1 as my first RB. Just look at what Dillon did in that system a few years ago. I know Maroney hasn't proven he can carry the load, but he is in a great position to succeed in 2007.


Maroney will be a steal in the 2nd round IMO. I think we will see the hype train push him up to the late first by the time the season starts though.


I think that's more of his potential than his actual value at this point. His actual value because of all those concerns is more of an ok to solid #2 while he certainly has the upside to become a shaky to solid #1. Maroney was in that "system" last year and struggled for a good amount of the time he played in it. Certainly doesn't mean he wont succeed in it, but I do think it raises enough concerns that he is a HUGE reach at the end of the 1st round. A guy who hasnt proven a thing yet is in no way a steal in the 2nd round. That's about where his value is right now but even then I would hesitate before grabbing him.


How can you know his actual value at this point? He was the 2nd head of a RBBC last year, as opposed to a "featured" RB this year barring any signings. Last year a washed up Corey Dillon, the head of that RBBC, finished as a RB#2 in fantasy terms. Combine their point totals, and you are looking at a potential top5 RB.. 20 rushing TDs to RBs in NE in 2006. They are a run first team around the goalline, just ask Ben Watson owners.

And how can you say he struggled in the system BTW? At times last year he ran like a man among boys. The few poor outings he did have worked to bring his ypc down to a still very sturdy 4.3. Not even mentioning his proficiency in the receiving department.

My question to you, who do you choose at the end of the first ahead of Maroney? Assume guys like LT, LJ, SJ, SA, Portis, Westbrook, Parker, Gore, Rudi, etc. are gone. You're at pick 10-12 and you're looking at guys like Chestor Taylor, Addai, Mcgahee, Ronnie Brown, etc. I like Maroney's skillset better than most if not all of those players. And I like his situation better than most if not all as well. Addai is only RB that would really have me struggling with my decision, because if and when Rhodes leaves he is going to become a horse by default if no other signings are made. The Colt's RB is like 1500/10 in the bank if he stays healthy with plenty of room for more.


Because, by saying he has good value in the first round and is a steal in the 2nd round you are assuming the upside comes true. When you take into account the significant risk that he carries with him because of the injury issues he struggled with even in a partial role and some of the performance struggles he had even being only used part time where he would be more fresh throughout the season there is no way you can keep him that high on your board.

I can say he struggled in that system because he was very inconsistent from week to week. It's not like he was good most of the time and then just had a really bad week or two that brought him down. He had 3.5 ypc or less in more than 1/3 of his games last season. Then you factor in that most players have their ypc drop by a good amount when they receive more of the carries so really that 4.3 ypc in a partial role isnt as good as you are making it sound.

Assuming LT, LJ, SJax, SA, Gore, Parker, Westy, Rudi, Portis are gone. I would take guys like Edge, Travis Henry, and Addai over him almost for sure and I would consider guys like Ronnie Brown, Willis McGahee, and Thomas Jones ahead of him as well. His "skillset" is once again referring to his upside, because he hasn't shown he carry the load in my opinion. He is skilled, of course, but there are other guys that are definitely more "proven" in my eyes and whom I would MUCH rather depend on as a #1 back than Maroney at this point.

His true value simply refers to where you place him considering his upside and risk...and he looked very mediocre at times last year and it doesn't bode great for a RB to look mediocre over 1/3 of a season in a partial role for him when he becomes the starter. That risk along with the questions of him being able to physically carry the load are enough to drop him to being a mid-2nd rounder for me as being around his value right now.



Ever heard of Tiki Barber?
ROYALWITCHEESE
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 849
Joined: 7 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:30 pm

Did I just read that Edge is being considered as a #1 RB above Maroney? Lunacy.


PS- Tiki Barber is retired, what's that about.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 6427
Joined: 2 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 6:17 hours
(and 38 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact