Maroney's Value in 2007? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Maroney's Value in 2007?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mattb47 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:08 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Did I just read that Edge is being considered as a #1 RB above Maroney? Lunacy.


PS- Tiki Barber is retired, what's that about.


Yea, it's just idiotic to think that a proven RB like Edge with a new coaching staff that came from a run heavy team who will likely help the offensive line almost instantly will be a better choice than an unproven entity like Maroney. He has potential, but you don't draft a guy in the 1st round because he has potential, lots of players have potential and good skillsets, but that doesn't make them 1st round quality.

Feel free to take Maroney in the 1st round if you want, maybe it will work out, maybe it wont. But saying that considering taking Edge ahead of an unproven RB is far from Lunacy.
Image
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14238
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kyguy78 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:39 pm

I like Maroney a lot. I think he's a top 15 back this year with potential to sneak into the top 10.
Image

"Just when you think you know the answers, I change the questions!"
kyguy78
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1616
Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Planet Earth

Postby dgan » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:57 pm

Wow. With all you guys saying he's a shaky #2 RB, I may steal him with the 15th overall pick? Are you kidding me? I agree with Kensat's opinion on this. I'll take Maroney! ;-D
Image
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 2941
Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The frozen tundra of Lambeau Field

Postby mattb47 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:00 pm

dgan wrote:Wow. With all you guys saying he's a shaky #2 RB, I may steal him with the 15th overall pick? Are you kidding me? I agree with Kensat's opinion on this. I'll take Maroney! ;-D


I just ask the question of what he has done to deserve being taken highly?
Image
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14238
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dgan » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:40 pm

mattb47 wrote:
dgan wrote:Wow. With all you guys saying he's a shaky #2 RB, I may steal him with the 15th overall pick? Are you kidding me? I agree with Kensat's opinion on this. I'll take Maroney! ;-D


I just ask the question of what he has done to deserve being taken highly?


Even if Maroney only adds on HALF of the fantasy points that Dillon got last year, he becomes a top 10 fantasy back in 2006. Looking at 2007, he should approach 40 receptions, score 12 - 15 TDs, rush for at least 1400 yards, and...oh yeah...play on a really good team. Tell me how those stats are only second round material. And those numbers are fairly conservative. He could just as easily have a SJax-type year. The upside alone makes him worthy of being drafted at the end of the first round.

He didn't have 20 carries in any game in 2006. If you watched him play, there is no question he can carry the load. If he stays healthy (which is what you say about any RB) he should easily be a top 10 RB.
Image
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 2941
Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The frozen tundra of Lambeau Field

Postby mattb47 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:32 am

dgan wrote:
mattb47 wrote:
dgan wrote:Wow. With all you guys saying he's a shaky #2 RB, I may steal him with the 15th overall pick? Are you kidding me? I agree with Kensat's opinion on this. I'll take Maroney! ;-D


I just ask the question of what he has done to deserve being taken highly?


Even if Maroney only adds on HALF of the fantasy points that Dillon got last year, he becomes a top 10 fantasy back in 2006. Looking at 2007, he should approach 40 receptions, score 12 - 15 TDs, rush for at least 1400 yards, and...oh yeah...play on a really good team. Tell me how those stats are only second round material. And those numbers are fairly conservative. He could just as easily have a SJax-type year. The upside alone makes him worthy of being drafted at the end of the first round.

He didn't have 20 carries in any game in 2006. If you watched him play, there is no question he can carry the load. If he stays healthy (which is what you say about any RB) he should easily be a top 10 RB.


There is absolutely no way you can say that there were no questions he could carry the load by seeing him play part time. There is NO RB you can ever say that about because the difference between a part time role where (like you said) he has never carried it 20 times in a game, turning into carrying it 20 times EVERY game is a huge difference. In fact, he even missed a couple games due to injury last year, so I'm still looking for how you could've watched him and said absolutely that he can. When I watched him last year, quite honestly I was impressed part of the time, but others he just didn't look like a great back at all.

Those predictions are NOT conservative when you're dealing with a guy who has never had to carry an NFL sized load before. It's just a different thing and until he does it without breaking down (which he struggled with a bit even in a part time role), there's no way I take him over guys who have proven they can carry the load and be there for me all season. What good would he be if he gave me top 10 type numbers for 1/3 of the season or even half the season and then got hurt? Not much.

Just a difference of preference here, but I'm not ready to take a guy as my #1 back in the 1st round when he has never carried the full load and quite honestly I really didn't think he looked fantastic in a partial role. Just not worth the risk in my opinion that early in a draft.
Image
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14238
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dgan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:56 am

mattb47 wrote:There is absolutely no way you can say that there were no questions he could carry the load by seeing him play part time. There is NO RB you can ever say that about because the difference between a part time role where (like you said) he has never carried it 20 times in a game, turning into carrying it 20 times EVERY game is a huge difference. In fact, he even missed a couple games due to injury last year, so I'm still looking for how you could've watched him and said absolutely that he can. When I watched him last year, quite honestly I was impressed part of the time, but others he just didn't look like a great back at all.

Those predictions are NOT conservative when you're dealing with a guy who has never had to carry an NFL sized load before. It's just a different thing and until he does it without breaking down (which he struggled with a bit even in a part time role), there's no way I take him over guys who have proven they can carry the load and be there for me all season. What good would he be if he gave me top 10 type numbers for 1/3 of the season or even half the season and then got hurt? Not much.

Just a difference of preference here, but I'm not ready to take a guy as my #1 back in the 1st round when he has never carried the full load and quite honestly I really didn't think he looked fantastic in a partial role. Just not worth the risk in my opinion that early in a draft.


Yeah, I respect your opinion and you have a good argument. Often if I'm picking near the end of the first round, I'll draft something other than running back, try to start a run on the other positions, and hope the RB I want slips to my early second round pick. So I'm not saying I would definately draft him in the first round, but I certainly think he's right there in the discussion with the 8 - 12 overall running backs. It all depends on whether you're willing to take the risk on a guy who hasn't physically done it yet. Based on what I saw, I would take the risk -- but I understand those who want to see it first.
Image
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 2941
Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The frozen tundra of Lambeau Field

Postby treat24 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:39 am

dgan wrote:
mattb47 wrote:There is absolutely no way you can say that there were no questions he could carry the load by seeing him play part time. There is NO RB you can ever say that about because the difference between a part time role where (like you said) he has never carried it 20 times in a game, turning into carrying it 20 times EVERY game is a huge difference. In fact, he even missed a couple games due to injury last year, so I'm still looking for how you could've watched him and said absolutely that he can. When I watched him last year, quite honestly I was impressed part of the time, but others he just didn't look like a great back at all.

Those predictions are NOT conservative when you're dealing with a guy who has never had to carry an NFL sized load before. It's just a different thing and until he does it without breaking down (which he struggled with a bit even in a part time role), there's no way I take him over guys who have proven they can carry the load and be there for me all season. What good would he be if he gave me top 10 type numbers for 1/3 of the season or even half the season and then got hurt? Not much.

Just a difference of preference here, but I'm not ready to take a guy as my #1 back in the 1st round when he has never carried the full load and quite honestly I really didn't think he looked fantastic in a partial role. Just not worth the risk in my opinion that early in a draft.


Yeah, I respect your opinion and you have a good argument. Often if I'm picking near the end of the first round, I'll draft something other than running back, try to start a run on the other positions, and hope the RB I want slips to my early second round pick. So I'm not saying I would definately draft him in the first round, but I certainly think he's right there in the discussion with the 8 - 12 overall running backs. It all depends on whether you're willing to take the risk on a guy who hasn't physically done it yet. Based on what I saw, I would take the risk -- but I understand those who want to see it first.


i would also take the risk...but as far as handling the NFL load... I'm not as confident as most... he could never do it for my Golden Gophers, he always split carries with barber 3 (and gary russell in his senior year) and got hurt and banged up every year... last year he split with dillon and got hurt...

i'm pretty sure I will crap all over myself when he stays healthy for an entire year...

that being said... he puts up nice numbers and should be worth the 2nd or 3rd round risk
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18188
Joined: 6 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby dgan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:02 am

Let's define "carry the load". Obviously, the more touches you get, the more likelihood you will get hurt. I don't feel Maroney is any more or less likely to suffer injury than LT, LJ, SA, SJ, etc... Some will disagree and that's fine. But what I mean by "carry the load" - is he going to get worn down at the end of the game or end of the season? Is his ypc going to suffer if he carries 25 times instead of 15? Is he going to get pulled in most short yardage situations? Does he lack toughness? I answer no to all those questions based on what I saw last year. Some guys can't be fulltime backs because they simply are not effective with more carries or aren't versatile enough to stay in the game in short yardage or third down situations.

Maroney is a tough, hardnosed runner, good in short yardage, can catch out of the backfield, breaks tackles, and is explosive enough to score at any time. Could he get hurt? Sure. Will he get 100% of the touches? Of course not. But is he a solid bet to be a fulltime bonefide "feature" back, who will pay off fantasy owners with workhorse-like stats? I absolutely think so. And I'm perfectly happy if others don't, because I'd be ecstatic if he falls to me at 15 overall.
Image
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 2941
Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The frozen tundra of Lambeau Field

Postby Kellys Heroes » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:03 am

TheRawDAWG wrote:I think solid number 2 with the potential to be a shaky/solid number 1.


I draft Maroney in My auction/keeper...
$500 cap... I spent 36 on Maroney which will increase 10% this yr = $40 to keep him.

The next yr I must choose to 1 yr option him for an aditional $10 or 2 yr option him for $20.
Kellys Heroes
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator


Posts: 943
Joined: 2 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 8:35 hours
(and 38 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact