Maroney's Value in 2007? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Maroney's Value in 2007?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Humpback » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:24 am

dgan wrote:Let's define "carry the load". Obviously, the more touches you get, the more likelihood you will get hurt. I don't feel Maroney is any more or less likely to suffer injury than LT, LJ, SA, SJ, etc... Some will disagree and that's fine. But what I mean by "carry the load" - is he going to get worn down at the end of the game or end of the season? Is his ypc going to suffer if he carries 25 times instead of 15? Is he going to get pulled in most short yardage situations? Does he lack toughness? I answer no to all those questions based on what I saw last year. Some guys can't be fulltime backs because they simply are not effective with more carries or aren't versatile enough to stay in the game in short yardage or third down situations.

Maroney is a tough, hardnosed runner, good in short yardage, can catch out of the backfield, breaks tackles, and is explosive enough to score at any time. Could he get hurt? Sure. Will he get 100% of the touches? Of course not. But is he a solid bet to be a fulltime bonefide "feature" back, who will pay off fantasy owners with workhorse-like stats? I absolutely think so. And I'm perfectly happy if others don't, because I'd be ecstatic if he falls to me at 15 overall.


Well, I would say he's more likely to suffer injury than LJ, SJax, LT, etc. They have already proven, over multiple seasons, that they can take the pounding of carrying the load for a full NFL season. Maroney couldn't even make it through his first NFL season, splitting carries, without getting injured. Like Treat said, he didn't even carry the load in college, which is a much shorter schedule against much weaker competition than the NFL, and he was banged up often. I absolutely think he will get worn down with more touches over more games. Personally, I think it's less than 50/50 that he plays all 16 games without being hurt next year- that's been his history.

I think he has a lot of talent, and certainly could put up the numbers you said, but I would classify them as hopefully optimistic, certainly not "fairly conservative".
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 3333
Joined: 19 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby gtgrad95 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:54 pm

We can keep 1 keeper for next year and I have a choice between Edge and Maroney. I am going to go with Maroney. I like the upside and NE scores a lot of TDs, a good many of those on the ground.

Now, a lot of you have taken the "injury" think a little too seriously. I say that because with the way NE reports their injuries, we have no idea if a player is really injured or just in the doghouse. Maroney missed a few games with what was reported as broken ribs or something like that. However, when he was asked by a reporter what his ailment was he said something like it wasn't his ribs, back, neck, whatever. He could very well have been in the doghouse here. The point is, we just don't know for sure.

As far as him having bad games in 1/3 of the games, I would argue that most all of those bad games were against solid run defenses like Miami, Denver, Chicago, etc. A lot of RBs would have bad games against those team, especially with the limited carries that he gets. I think with a full load next year and no Dillon to worry about, he will explode on the scene much like Steven Jackson did. If you look at his numbers his rookie year (when he split with Faulk) they are very similar, albeit a slightly higher YPC (5.0 vs. 4.3).

And lastly, if Bellichic and the Patriots did not have that confidence in him, there is no way they would've let Dillon go. They would've restructured his contract somehow to allow him to stay. On top of that, they would've signed a player that would've provided some competition for carries, rather than a Sammy Morris who is a role player at best.
gtgrad95
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 276
Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:50 pm

mattb47 wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Did I just read that Edge is being considered as a #1 RB above Maroney? Lunacy.


PS- Tiki Barber is retired, what's that about.


Yea, it's just idiotic to think that a proven RB like Edge with a new coaching staff that came from a run heavy team who will likely help the offensive line almost instantly will be a better choice than an unproven entity like Maroney. He has potential, but you don't draft a guy in the 1st round because he has potential, lots of players have potential and good skillsets, but that doesn't make them 1st round quality.

Feel free to take Maroney in the 1st round if you want, maybe it will work out, maybe it wont. But saying that considering taking Edge ahead of an unproven RB is far from Lunacy.


Sorry you just lost me here. How can you argue for Edge as a 1st round pick after the '06 season? You're jumping to wild conclusions here just because Maroney is "unproven". That's like saying that grass is green, therefore the sky is purple. Maroney is an unproven RB, therefore Edge is worth a 1st rounder. Huh??? Your argument is that Arizona just signed up a new head coach, who will likely improve the o-line, therefore Edge is worth a first rounder.

Edge was HORRIBLE last year, because he is in Arizona. And last time I checked, yup, he's still in Zona. It's painfully obvious that Arizona is a bad situation for a RB, and even if they improve by leaps and bounds in 2007, it still won't be a "good" situation.. Even if I knew for a fact that Arizona would lead the league in rushing in 2007, I STILL wouldn't touch Edge in the 1st round because you don't have to! Only a lunatic grabs Edge in round 1!

Fact is, the only RB in recent memory that did less than Edge with that many carries is Troy Hambrick, Kevan Barlow a close second. Those two guys don't even have jobs right now. I'm not saying Edge is either of those guys, just that Arizona is BAD.

Situation means a lot for a RB in fantasy football, and Arizona vs. New England is a no brainer for me, just like it should be for everyone else. New England already is a "good" situation, and it has been for several years. If there was a change at head coach in NE, I can assure you no one would actually be spinning that as a positive for fantasy purposes.

Bottomline, if you pick Arizona above New England, and Edge above Maroney, I think you're crazy. If you pick Edge in the 1st round, you are a lunatic.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 6427
Joined: 2 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mattb47 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:02 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
mattb47 wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Did I just read that Edge is being considered as a #1 RB above Maroney? Lunacy.


PS- Tiki Barber is retired, what's that about.


Yea, it's just idiotic to think that a proven RB like Edge with a new coaching staff that came from a run heavy team who will likely help the offensive line almost instantly will be a better choice than an unproven entity like Maroney. He has potential, but you don't draft a guy in the 1st round because he has potential, lots of players have potential and good skillsets, but that doesn't make them 1st round quality.

Feel free to take Maroney in the 1st round if you want, maybe it will work out, maybe it wont. But saying that considering taking Edge ahead of an unproven RB is far from Lunacy.


Sorry you just lost me here. How can you argue for Edge as a 1st round pick after the '06 season? You're jumping to wild conclusions here just because Maroney is "unproven". That's like saying that grass is green, therefore the sky is purple. Maroney is an unproven RB, therefore Edge is worth a 1st rounder. Huh??? Your argument is that Arizona just signed up a new head coach, who will likely improve the o-line, therefore Edge is worth a first rounder.

Edge was HORRIBLE last year, because he is in Arizona. And last time I checked, yup, he's still in Zona. It's painfully obvious that Arizona is a bad situation for a RB, and even if they improve by leaps and bounds in 2007, it still won't be a "good" situation.. Even if I knew for a fact that Arizona would lead the league in rushing in 2007, I STILL wouldn't touch Edge in the 1st round because you don't have to! Only a lunatic grabs Edge in round 1!

Fact is, the only RB in recent memory that did less than Edge with that many carries is Troy Hambrick, Kevan Barlow a close second. Those two guys don't even have jobs right now. I'm not saying Edge is either of those guys, just that Arizona is BAD.

Situation means a lot for a RB in fantasy football, and Arizona vs. New England is a no brainer for me, just like it should be for everyone else. New England already is a "good" situation, and it has been for several years. If there was a change at head coach in NE, I can assure you no one would actually be spinning that as a positive for fantasy purposes.

Bottomline, if you pick Arizona above New England, and Edge above Maroney, I think you're crazy. If you pick Edge in the 1st round, you are a lunatic.


Ok, well, I think we both know that I was not trying to point to Maroney being unproven as evidence that Edge should be a first rounder or anything like that. In fact, I'm pretty sure all I was saying is that Edge is a guy I would consider taking over Maroney. So that rant you went on to ridicule me...not only unecessary but also completely wrong in your assumptions.

You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion, but calling me a lunatic for saying that Edge should be considered ahead of Maroney and possibly a late first round pick is a little over the top. In an absolutely awful year, with a coach who honestly had no idea how to use a talented back like Edge and a terrible offensive line, James still managed to get 1376 total yards and 6 TDs. Although this isn't amazing by any means, his situation only gets better next year and you are very much underestimating how much of an impact a new coaching staff (especially one with a run-first mentality) can have on a player of his talent.

Situation only means so much. Would you rather have a guy that will likely get you solid numbers next year and play the whole season, or someone who will put up big numbers for half the season and then break down? Not saying for sure that Maroney will break down, but what has he done to prove that he wont? The coaching staff next year in Arizona will get that line in better shape without a doubt and unlike Green, they know a bit better how to use a RB than he did. He seemed absolutely clueless at times, running when it was most obvious they were going to run.

You can continue to berate me with your attitude that what I'm saying is absolutely ridiculous, but in all honesty, you are the one being ridiculous saying that it's idiotic to choose someone who I know can carry the load in this league and who I think will have a much better year next year in Edge over someone who has never proved he can fully carry the load and stay healthy. Maybe you think that people will be more inclined to believe you if you act like what I'm saying is ridiculous? I don't know, but really, the basis of your argument against Edge is that Arizona sucks...maybe, just maybe, the horrible coaching staff from last year had a part in that. Guess we'll see wont we.
Image
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14238
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 3:46 hours
(and 37 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact