Henry to the Broncos - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Henry to the Broncos

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mattb47 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:19 pm

Lucky7 wrote:While I like the Henry signing for the Broncos, I would temper Henry's FFL value somewhat considering that, for at least the last 2 years, Shanny has often gone to a change of backs at the goalline. Granted, Tatum Ball was usually the one being replaced and Henry is a more powerful runner, but I'm not sold on the idea that Shanny won't put MBell in at the goalline. During the 2d half of 06, MBell had some success at the goalline.

Henry is more of a powerful runner himself though than Mike Bell is. It would surprise me greatly to see someone other than Henry get the goal line carries this year. But....this is Shanahan we're talking about....
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lucky7 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:38 pm

mattb47 wrote:
Lucky7 wrote:While I like the Henry signing for the Broncos, I would temper Henry's FFL value somewhat considering that, for at least the last 2 years, Shanny has often gone to a change of backs at the goalline. Granted, Tatum Ball was usually the one being replaced and Henry is a more powerful runner, but I'm not sold on the idea that Shanny won't put MBell in at the goalline. During the 2d half of 06, MBell had some success at the goalline.

Henry is more of a powerful runner himself though than Mike Bell is. It would surprise me greatly to see someone other than Henry get the goal line carries this year. But....this is Shanahan we're talking about....

That's precisely what I'm concerned about. With Shanny, I would not be at all surprised if MBell gets the goalline carries. For me, that concern (plus the general concern that Shanny could do anything with the RB situation at any given time) is enough to take Henry out of the 1st round and perhaps even the 2d. With that said, Henry does have significant upside.
Lucky7
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby mattb47 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:40 pm

Lucky7 wrote:
mattb47 wrote:

That's precisely what I'm concerned about. With Shanny, I would not be at all surprised if MBell gets the goalline carries. For me, that concern (plus the general concern that Shanny could do anything with the RB situation at any given time) is enough to take Henry out of the 1st round and perhaps even the 2d. With that said, Henry does have significant upside.

Yea, the smart thing to do would be to give Henry a majority of the carries + goal line carries but the Shanahan thing to do would be to give enough carries to Bell to render Henry ineffective. I think this is a fantastic time to sell Henry high in keeper leagues.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:32 pm

Shanahan has been doing RBBC for years...I doubt it changes now. One way or another, Henry will not get all the yards and/or TD's. Denver's offensive stars are changing like crazy right now...it might be a little too much change for me to want to worry about spending high picks on for next year. :-/
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:35 pm

Kilroy1872 wrote:
CC wrote:I traded Henry two days ago in my dynasty league.

For curiousity's sake what'd you get for him CC?

I moved Henry and Chester Taylor for Donald Driver and the 5th overall pick in our upcoming draft (12 keepers). This is a 0.5 PPR and I needed a 3rd WR and I have Alexander, Willis, and Deuce. I then converted the 5th pick in conjuction with my 3rd pick into the 1st pick which I will use to take AD.

I am happy with the trade.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:34 pm

If the draft was today and Henry was the No. 1 I'd probably take him in the 3rd round. FF is mostly about potential and less about being safe. But there's a long way to go until September.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Lucky7 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:58 am

CC wrote:
Kilroy1872 wrote:

I moved Henry and Chester Taylor for Donald Driver and the 5th overall pick in our upcoming draft (12 keepers). This is a 0.5 PPR and I needed a 3rd WR and I have Alexander, Willis, and Deuce. I then converted the 5th pick in conjuction with my 3rd pick into the 1st pick which I will use to take AD.

Who is "AD"???
Lucky7
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby killiansjmd » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:59 am

Lucky7 wrote:
CC wrote:
Kilroy1872 wrote:

Who is "AD"???

AD = Adrian Peterson from Oklahoma. His nickname is ALL DAY (AD).
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Lucky7 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:02 am

killiansjmd wrote:
Lucky7 wrote:
CC wrote:
Kilroy1872 wrote:

Who is "AD"???

AD = Adrian Peterson from Oklahoma. His nickname is ALL DAY (AD).

Ahh. Thanks, Killians ;-D
Lucky7
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Lung » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:27 pm

Roger Rotter is infamous for some dubious fantasy advice, but even by his standards, I'm shocked to see that he has Travis Henry as his #6 RB (and possibly #6 overall pick)

From http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/RogerRotter

Impact of Travis Henry in Denver
Mar 05, 2007 | 2:02PM

Whoever is Denver's featured back deserves serious consideration for being one of the top fantasy backs entering the season. Travis Henry is no exception.

After struggling in 2004 and 2005 by averaging just 331 yards at 3.6 yards per carry for Buffalo and Tennessee, Henry rebounded to post his first 1,000-yard season since 2003. He ran for 1,211 yards at 4.5 yards per carry, and scored seven times after scoring zero in the previous two seasons. He also registered six 100-yard rushing games last season on a team with a minimal passing threat.

Henry's regained his shiftiness and speed, along with the ability to break tackles inside. This blend of power and quickness will help Henry become Denver's best running back. If he's made the full-time featured back, Herny will be a contender for the NFL rushing title. He also can serve as the goal-line back with his low center of gravity and strong inside running.

Henry vaults into my list of the top 10 fantasy running backs.

1. LaDainian Tomlinson, San Diego

2. Steven Jackson, St. Louis

3. Larry Johnson, Kansas City

4. Frank Gore, San Francisco

5. Brian Westbrook, Philadelphia

6. Travis Henry, Denver

7. Willie Parker, Pittsburgh

8. Rudi Johnson, Cincinnati

9. Joseph Addai, Indianapolis

10. Laurence Maroney, New England

11. Edgerrin James, Arizona

12. Adrian Peterson, TBD (likely Cleveland)

I think Henry has the potential to put up top 6 numbers, but you will likely be able to draft him in the late 2nd or early 3rd round and drafting him at the #6 position is an awful waste of value.

Additionally, no Shaun Alexander or Clinton Portis in the top 10? Adrian Peterson #12 no matter where he is drafted, and ahead of the likes of Maurice Jones-Drew, Reggie Bush, Willis McGahee, Deuce McAllister, Chester Taylor, and Ronnie Brown? Good gravy you suck, Rotter. :-t
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk