Miami releases Piano Boy, McMichael - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Miami releases Piano Boy, McMichael

Moderator: Football Moderators

Miami releases Piano Boy, McMichael

Postby Kilroy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:16 pm

Dolphins Release Harrington, McMichael
Miami Also Deals Welker in Roster Shakeup
AP
MIAMI (March 5) - Quarterback Joey Harrington and tight end Randy McMichael were released Monday by the Miami Dolphins , who swung two other deals in new coach Cam Cameron's roster shakeup.

The Dolphins dealt receiver Wes Welker to the New England Patriots for their second- and seventh-round draft picks in April. New England's second-round pick is No. 60 overall.

Miami also signed tight end David Martin to a three-year contract. Martin had 87 receptions for 766 yards and nine touchdowns in sixseasons with Green Bay . He caught 21 passes last season and scored a touchdown against Miami.

"David is a talented tight end who will be a major contributor to our offense," Cameron said. "He is very athletic with good speed and is a quality receiver."

The release of Harrington had been expected, in part because he was due a $1 million roster bonus. In his only season with Miami, he went 5-6 as a starter filling in for Daunte Culpepper , then was benched the final game in favor of Cleo Lemon.

Cameron has declined to say whether he expects Culpepper to regain the starting job in 2007. Lemon is a restricted free agent.

Harrington was acquired last offseason from Detroit , where he started 55 games in four seasons.

McMichael was due a $3 million roster bonus, and his contract was terminated after Miami was unable to swing a trade for him.

A starter since his rookie season in 2002, McMichael is the Dolphins' career leader among tight ends with 283 catches for 3,096 yards. He had at least 60 receptions each of the past three years.

"Apparently this was an economic decision," agent Drew Rosenhaus said. "He was surprised, but he's looking forward to a great opportunity elsewhere."

Welker was the Dolphins' third receiver last season, but he led them with a career-high 67 catches, and also returned punts and kickoffs.

"Regarding Randy, Wes and Joey, it is always hard to part ways with individuals who have helped you win in the past," Cameron said. "But it's part of the business, and it's the most difficult aspect of this job."


McMichael's a first-rate headcase, but he's also a very good Tight End, so you'd think there will be more than a few teams interested in his services.

Cincy Maybe? :-b
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

Postby moochman » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:26 pm

McWifeBeater sucked last season and showed signs of slowing down. As evidenced by his wife having less bruises than normal. Could be it was a sucky QB situation that soured McWB numbers.
Harrington must have charmed his teammates in Miami as well as he did in Detroit for them to have deemed a million dollar bonus too steep to keep him.
Dont see the logic in dumping Welker.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Postby maddog60 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:47 pm

The only reason I could hope for a team to sign McMichael is so that he can suffer a horrible injury, as he rightly deserves for beating the pregnant mother of his child.

That being said, from a purely NFL aspect, he could be a huge addition, some risk though, to a team lacking that receiving TE presence. NO may take a look, but will probably pass. MicMichael might fit in with the other felons on the Bengals should they choose to add another option to that offense. Honestly, the Bucs could benefit greatly from adding him as well.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 9758
Joined: 18 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kilroy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:48 pm

moochman wrote:McWifeBeater sucked last season and showed signs of slowing down. As evidenced by his wife having less bruises than normal. Could be it was a sucky QB situation that soured McWB numbers.
Harrington must have charmed his teammates in Miami as well as he did in Detroit for them to have deemed a million dollar bonus too steep to keep him.
Dont see the logic in dumping Welker.


H**l, maybe the 'Fins will make a run at Moss, with the thinking being that reuniting him and C-Pepp will return each to glory-days form.

I'm kidding. I think.
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

Postby skibrett15 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:49 pm

Packers are also looking for a TE. And mooch, Miami didn't dump Welker, they got a 2nd rounder and a 7th for him, which I consider a good deal.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 5057
Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: At the Mafia Cafe

Postby VaderFin » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:05 am

Damn, was hoping we could have pulled off another trade involving McMike. See ya.
Image
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 7030
Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: In my Tie Fighter blowing up Rebels

Postby moochman » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:22 am

skibrett15 wrote:Packers are also looking for a TE. And mooch, Miami didn't dump Welker, they got a 2nd rounder and a 7th for him, which I consider a good deal.


A New England 2nd rounder is a *near third rounder and name me a 7th round draft pick that is playing. Welker was versitile and not that expensive, so either he had an injury or other issue perhaps. It's not as if the Phins{ are swimming in receivers.

*(bear in mind that a near 3rd round pick to me, a Lions' fan, is a waste)
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Postby dogthedyslexic » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:45 am

moochman wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:Packers are also looking for a TE. And mooch, Miami didn't dump Welker, they got a 2nd rounder and a 7th for him, which I consider a good deal.


A New England 2nd rounder is a *near third rounder and name me a 7th round draft pick that is playing. Welker was versitile and not that expensive, so either he had an injury or other issue perhaps. It's not as if the Phins{ are swimming in receivers.

*(bear in mind that a near 3rd round pick to me, a Lions' fan, is a waste)


Marques Colston
Image
dogthedyslexic
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 390
Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby D3C4K » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:14 am

moochman wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:Packers are also looking for a TE. And mooch, Miami didn't dump Welker, they got a 2nd rounder and a 7th for him, which I consider a good deal.


A New England 2nd rounder is a *near third rounder and name me a 7th round draft pick that is playing. Welker was versitile and not that expensive, so either he had an injury or other issue perhaps. It's not as if the Phins{ are swimming in receivers.

*(bear in mind that a near 3rd round pick to me, a Lions' fan, is a waste)


I'm not sure a first, second, and a third rounder for Welker would be put to good use for your team, mooch. :-D

By the NFL's twisted logic, guys like Alexander and Edge wouldn't fetch a 2nd rounder, and Terrell Owens only fetched a single 2nd rounder from the Ravens (before the Eagles stepped in with I believe a 5th rounder and Brandon Whiting - someone correct me if I'm wrong). So in NFL terms that's a nice deal. As far as 7th rounders go, Marques Colston, Reynaldo Hill (Dolphins), Shane Olivea (Chargers), Patrick Crayton (Dallas), Josh Brown, David Givens and um...Madison Hedgecock are a few 7th rounders that are contributing now. Not the most impressive list, but you can't forget the number of good undrafted players you have a chance at as well. Guys like Antonio Gates, Willie Parker, Rod Smith, Jake Delhomme, Adewale Ogunleye, Mike Bell, Antonio Pierce, Brian Waters, Adam Vinatieri, Kurt Warner, Priest Holmes, and many more weren't even drafted. So maybe your team could snag a Mack Strong, Pat Williams or Jeff Garcia with their 7th rounder. Then again, knowing the Lions I'd worry more about making the most of their first round pick...
D3C4K
Head Coach
Head Coach


Posts: 1489
Joined: 23 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Chicago, Il.

Postby The Balanced Man » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:12 am

Really surprising. Especially with the head coach. I thought he would really utilize McMichael this next year.
Image
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6209
Joined: 20 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On my Ipod Touch

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 13:58 hours
(and 36 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact