Seahawks sign Kerney

Moderator: Football Moderators

Seahawks sign Kerney

Postby Kilroy » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:39 am

From ESPN:

Seahawks reach six-year agreement with DE Kerney
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

After two days of negotiations, the Seattle Seahawks reached an agreement with Atlanta Falcons defensive end Patrick Kerney, considered the best remaining free agent on the market.

Kerney, 29, got a six-year, $39.5 million contract that included $19.5 million in guarantees. He was involved in a two-way negotiating battle with the Seahawks and Denver Broncos. The decision was going to be a tough one, but it required a deadline. Kerney and his agents used the length of a flight to make his decision.

Kerney and his agents, Tony Agnone and Rich Rosa, got on a Paul Allen private plane that was taking them to Seattle. They spent the time in the plane deciding the best options. When he left Seattle, Kerney informed the Broncos and Seahawks he would have an answer by the time the plane touched down in Atlanta.

The winner was Seattle, but now another battle brews. The Seahawks and Broncos enter into negotiations Tuesday with New England Patriots tight end Daniel Graham.

Kerney is expected to give the Seahawks a much-needed pass rush. The 6-foot-5, 273-pound defensive end has had three double-digit sack seasons and a trip to the Pro Bowl in 2004. Though hurt by injuries last season, Kerney is still expected to play at a Pro Bowl level.

It probably helped that Kerney got to know Seahawks general manager Tim Ruskell when Ruskell worked in Atlanta. Also, Seattle assistant head coach Jim Mora was Kerney's head coach for three seasons in Atlanta.

Nice signing by Seattle, as their pass-rush could use the boost.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mystykoekaki » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:41 am

Dang, we really could of used that guy. Oh well.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby maddog60 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:44 am

Not making many splashes, but they made a big one. Great signing.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby SeaWolf » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:53 am

Nice! ;-D :-D

Bye, bye Wistrom? :-?
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigGAME101 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:56 am

Very nice siging by the 'Hawks. Kerney is a very solid end and Seattle can use some help on the outside. It was a decent contract too; I don't think they overpaid like some of the other teams out there who have been paying ridiculous money for pseudo-elite talent.

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Munboy » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:58 am

Nice signing for the Blue Footed Boobies
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby terpfan » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:08 am

I guess I'm in the minority, but I think Kerney's best years are behind him. And unfortunately you have to overpay this year if you want ANYBODY. I dont see why this will work out any better than Wistrom did. But I wont fault the Hawks for trying.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:14 am

terpfan wrote:I guess I'm in the minority, but I think Kerney's best years are behind him. And unfortunately you have to overpay this year if you want ANYBODY. I dont see why this will work out any better than Wistrom did. But I wont fault the Hawks for trying.

I'm with ya. Almost $20 mil guaranteed 8-o A lot to pay, they'd better hope he can give them similar results as he had in ATL.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby eman » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:19 am

Great signing. The Hawks have money to spend and this is a great use of it. I hope they manage to pick up Graham over the Broncs too. If they do then theyd be set for next year as far as Im concerned.
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The Balanced Man » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:11 am

WOW. Didn't see this coming. I thought for sure he was headed to denver. Nice pickup by the Hawks.
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk