Offseason thoughts so far... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Green Bay Packers

Offseason thoughts so far...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Offseason thoughts so far...

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:16 am

Is anyone else at least a bit frustrated that the packers have not done anything so far this off season?

I know they don't want to overpay someone, but they have some needs that need filling. They need a TE, and with grahm gone, not much is left out there. They defiantly need a RB, and its not a sure thing that lynch will be there at #16. They could use another WR, someone with experience.

It just seems that all the decent players are being signed, and the packers are just sitting by watching, hopeing that they will just naturally get better from last year.

They have plenty of money to spend, they need to spend it.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:44 am

I dont have a link, but in the leftovers section, there is a thread about rumors of the pack being interested in trading for Ladell Betts

That would be an interesting move, he would make a very capable #1 back.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GreenBay4Life » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:21 pm

RB) I a big fan of them sitting out but right now im alittle nervous with Green signed else where. I honestly didnt think he was going to get big money and he would come back for another season with the pack. With that said he is older and he has injury concerns so im glad we didnt offer him that kind of contract. The Mcgahee deal scares me now bc I thinking buffalo is going to defintely take a back in the 1st rd. Now they pick ahead of the packers so the packers can get screwed if they take lynch and the pack have no other options. I think they should have offered some money to henry and im kind of curious to understand why they didnt even bring him in for a visit he is young and he is a good player doesnt have alot of miles and can run and catch the ball well. All the other FA backs pretty much have flaws so I dont know what they are going to do. i just read the Betts post and it would a solid trade if they could swing it but TT doesnt like giving up picks and Betts isnt a sure thing bc he only played that well in 7 games. We need to pay attention to the bills pick at 12 bc that will dictate on who the packers pick on 16. hopefully levy will take another big 1st rd gample and pick some other back that was suppose to go later in the draft im guessing Michael Bush.

TE) As far as TE is concerned I dont know why they never brought in graham for a visit of even Eric Johnson but with the lose of Martin they need someone that can strecth the field. I would really like them to sign mcmichael but i dont know if they even have him on there radar. The guy can catch the ball and would be a nice fit with bubba.

WR) A third wr opition would be nice and the only thing i ever heard was horn coming in for a visit but he obviously went and signed with the falcons so that is squashed. They need to add someone i dont see it ever being moss he just makes to much money for the packers to take on the cap. Im guessing look for them to wait till june 1st cuts to scap a guy up. Bobby Wade just went to the vikes for 5yr 15mil so im in no rush to get a 3rd wr right now people are still over paying.

S) Im hearing Deon Grant is coming in for a visit and he would be a solid fit on the 2ndary just wondering what his price would be. These guys think bc a few dumb teams that throw around huge amount of money that they are all of a sudden pro bowl type players. The market needs a serious correction. I guess inking up Harris before FA hit was smart bc look at contract clements signed.

If TT is able to swing a decent RB before the draft we will be all right. If he doesnt then we will be hurting this yr. All the other positions can be filled with draft picks but if we have to waste a 1st on a rb then we will be filling needs with subpar players. IE: if we get Betts we can pick a TE or S in first then take the other position in the 2nd. But if we have no RB then thats where we have to go in the 1st and then fill from the 2nd on. Sorry about ranting so much.

2004: 2 League's 2 Championships
2005: 2 League's 2nd place and 6th place
2006: 1 league 2nd place
GreenBay4Life
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby skibrett15 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:26 pm

I'm on the same page with y'all, but I think there's still some time to find an appropriate match for our team. Antonio Bryant is someone we could take a look at. Stallworth is still available, and Ladell Betts seems like a really good option to me, even if it means giving up a 3rd or even higher. Two safety options are Deon Grant and Ken Hamiln. Signing one of them would be a boost, althoug this draft is chock full of S prospects. As far as TE goes, we might just have to wait until the draft, or consider sticking with the options we have. I feel ya, but it's no reason to panic this early in the process.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby GreenBay4Life » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:28 pm

mcmichael just signed so X him out of the list.

2004: 2 League's 2 Championships
2005: 2 League's 2nd place and 6th place
2006: 1 league 2nd place
GreenBay4Life
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Teck » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:46 pm

I still want us to pick up moss, or atleast someone with experiance to go along side driver, like moulds or keenen or anyone like that. TE i would have loved to see us take a grab at randy or graham, but soo much for that.
Thanks Wicked for the sig!
Teck
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby dgan » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:47 pm

Teck wrote:I still want us to pick up moss, or atleast someone with experiance to go along side driver, like moulds or keenen or anyone like that. TE i would have loved to see us take a grab at randy or graham, but soo much for that.

I disagree about the WR bit. I think Jennings could be the next Javon Walker. All we need is a reliable third WR and we're usually pretty good at grooming those. At least when compared to our other needs at RB, TE, and S, I think WR is pretty low on the list.

Honestly, can someone explain why you never heard the Packers come up in rumors with McGahee, McMichael, or anywhere else for that matter? It's one thing to not overpay...it's another when it appears you're not even trying. Are they even talking to these players and teams?

Betts would just split time with Morency. That may not be a bad thing, but I don't think he's the answer. Just a stop-gap for a couple years. In fact, I read an article in the local paper that the Packers actually are pretty high on Morency and are comfortable if he is the starter this season. :-o

And who are we going to get at TE now? We're paying Bubba Franks a crapload of money, and he's probably one of the worst starting TEs in the league right now.

This sucks. I am one POd Packer fan about now. IMO, the Ravens got a good deal for McGahee. It is essentially a 4th round pick this year and next since they're all the way toward the bottom of the third.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Return to Green Bay Packers