Rumor - Packers interested in trading for Betts - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rumor - Packers interested in trading for Betts

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:41 am

Free Bagel wrote:
dgan wrote:You're telling me Betts is better than Lynch is (or is going to be)? If you were going to trade for a quality starter, you missed your opportunity with McGahee. Betts would not be a full time starter with Morency still here. This deal smells IMO, unless we get him for a steal.

Unless they were trading the 1st rounder for Betts, it's not really as simple as Betts vs. Lynch.

If GB could get Betts for a 3rd round pick, that would allow them to use their first rounder on maybe a safety or WR.

Betts + a first round safety would be better for the packers than Lynch plus a 2nd or 3rd round safety, at least in the short term.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby skibrett15 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:49 am

J_rob_the_ Baller wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:
dgan wrote:You're telling me Betts is better than Lynch is (or is going to be)? If you were going to trade for a quality starter, you missed your opportunity with McGahee. Betts would not be a full time starter with Morency still here. This deal smells IMO, unless we get him for a steal.

Unless they were trading the 1st rounder for Betts, it's not really as simple as Betts vs. Lynch.

If GB could get Betts for a 3rd round pick, that would allow them to use their first rounder on maybe a safety or WR.

Betts + a first round safety would be better for the packers than Lynch plus a 2nd or 3rd round safety, at least in the short term.

yeah, that's what FB is saying. Lynch comes with a 1st round price tag, while Betts probably doesn't. So a direct comparison doesn't make sense.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Axl's Army » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:53 am

If Betts gets traded then does Portis become a better keeper than Westbrook?

Yo Mama is so fat . . .
Axl's Army
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Keyser_WV » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:57 am

Axl's Army wrote:If Betts gets traded then does Portis become a better keeper than Westbrook?

I like Westy more than most but I would say if Betts is gone I would keep Portis over Westbrook in a non ppr league
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:30 am

Axl's Army wrote:If Betts gets traded then does Portis become a better keeper than Westbrook?

NOOOOOOO!

I guess I am a bit biased, but I don't see any way you can keep Portis over Westy IMO.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby whodey#9 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:18 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:

NOOOOOOO!

I guess I am a bit biased, but I don't see any way you can keep Portis over Westy IMO.

In non ppr leagues, if Betts is gone then I would keep CP over Westy
whodey#9
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:43 pm

I don't understand the whole Betts praise. We're talking a 2nd/3rd rounder for the guy, even when players like Mcgahee are fetching the equivalent of a 3rd and a 4th.

Do the math:

Late 3rd, late 7th, 3rd next year (equiv. to 4th this year) =

3rd + 4th rounder value for Mcgahee
---

I don't even know if you could trade those 3 picks and move to GB's mid 2nd rounder this year. So GB's 2nd is worth more than Mcgahee. So realistically we're talking a 3rd rounder for Betts at the maximum. I personally think that is too much for the guy.

Think of the players available in the 3rd round. You could easily grab RB#5 or RB#6 from the draft, and have him at a VERY manageable contract for at least the next 5 years. That is if they don't decide to go elsewhere, and then pickup their RB on the 2nd day.

Hell, they can sign Chris Brown or Corey Dillon for FREE (pick wise), spend their draft picks elsewhere, and form a RBBC with Brown/Dillon/Morency/rookie/etc. and get by just fine. Frank Gore was a 3rd round draft pick. Marion Barber was a 4th round draft pick. Maurice Jones Drew was a late 2nd. Hell everyone's poster boy next "stud RB Michael Turner was a 5th.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:53 pm

Kensat30 wrote:I don't understand the whole Betts praise. We're talking a 2nd/3rd rounder for the guy, even when players like Mcgahee are fetching the equivalent of a 3rd and a 4th.

Do the math:

Late 3rd, late 7th, 3rd next year (equiv. to 4th this year) =

3rd + 4th rounder value for Mcgahee

There's certainly more to it than that. We all know when a player is on his way out and everyone knows the team is looking to ditch a guy that their trade value is nill.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Previous

Return to Football Talk