Roto style fantasy football... why wouldn't it work? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Roto style fantasy football... why wouldn't it work?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:13 pm

Yeah, let's all start playing Roto football. Also let's extend the NFL season an extra 4 months and have games every day of the week! And eliminate the salary cap while we're at it. And also, I propose that one player on the defense is allowed to carry a stick with which he can bat down a pass or a field goal attempt.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 6427
Joined: 2 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:23 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Yeah, let's all start playing Roto football. Also let's extend the NFL season an extra 4 months and have games every day of the week! And eliminate the salary cap while we're at it. And also, I propose that one player on the defense is allowed to carry a stick with which he can bat down a pass or a field goal attempt.


Only if the stick is a hockey stick and we add in hoops through which the players can throw the football to score either two or three points. ;)
The Loveable Losers Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant


Posts: 482
Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ivesaidway2much » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:26 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Yeah, let's all start playing Roto football. Also let's extend the NFL season an extra 4 months and have games every day of the week! And eliminate the salary cap while we're at it. And also, I propose that one player on the defense is allowed to carry a stick with which he can bat down a pass or a field goal attempt.
I love the idea of extending to football season. But I think the bats would be more effective against other players. I mean, what's the point of all that padding if you're not going to put it to good use.

But on a completely unrelated matter, you do realize lots of people play H2H baseball, right?
ivesaidway2much
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 482
Joined: 24 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ivesaidway2much » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:30 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:Only if the stick is a hockey stick and we add in hoops through which the players can throw the football to score either two or three points. ;)
Hockey sticks an even better idea. We could call it Basekethockeyfootball (TM (c) patent pending).
ivesaidway2much
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 482
Joined: 24 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:09 pm

I'm sure it's possible to do Rotisserie fantasy football. However, I think it would get very "stat-sy" though...sort of boring (like fantasy baseball does for me after about 4 months :-/), and it doesn't mimic the style of football at all.

Football is all about winning each game that you have in order to make the playoffs...the best football teams win 85% of their games - the best baseball teams only win 60% of theirs. Taking the "must win" attitude out of fantasy football and adding the "stats are all that matter" factor would really sap out the spirit of football for me.

But hey...it's all in what you and your leaguemates like. If you can deal with football in a baseball mode, be my guest. ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 12045
Joined: 22 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New Castle, PA

Postby Pedantic » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:06 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:I'm sure it's possible to do Rotisserie fantasy football. However, I think it would get very "stat-sy" though...sort of boring (like fantasy baseball does for me after about 4 months :-/), and it doesn't mimic the style of football at all.


Wait, a game played with numbers might get stat-sy? Inconceivable!
Image
Pedantic Beginner
Monday Morning Quarterback

User avatar

Posts: 1
Joined: 4 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Manja » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:32 am

Pedantic wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:I'm sure it's possible to do Rotisserie fantasy football. However, I think it would get very "stat-sy" though...sort of boring (like fantasy baseball does for me after about 4 months :-/), and it doesn't mimic the style of football at all.


Wait, a game played with numbers might get stat-sy? Inconceivable!


I don't think that word means what you think it does... (reference to Princess Bride before another one of my jokes falls flat).

But, really.. in this subject... To each their own. It just really depends on what you find fun. If you prefer eliminating most of the luck and and.. how to put it... Making it the most stat-sy it can possibly be, then you can go right ahead.
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1736
Joined: 6 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:34 am

the thing is, one of the the things that makes both games fun is their differences. I LOVE football way more than baseball, but I like fantasy baseball much more.

That said, in fantasy baseball, the fun thing is that your advances are by definition, at someone else's expense. For example you can trade for SAVES or Steals in fantasy baseball. In fact, if you can't gain there, you can trade yours to a team that can knock down your competition.

But roto football, how would you trade for cats? I mean you aren't going to give up td's, because most of the time, those are the guys with the yards anyway.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2843
Joined: 3 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ivesaidway2much » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:46 am

eaglesrule wrote:But roto football, how would you trade for cats? I mean you aren't going to give up td's, because most of the time, those are the guys with the yards anyway.
It's nothing more than a matter of creativity. You just have to figure out a way to balance out all the cats so it is possible.
ivesaidway2much
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 482
Joined: 24 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:58 am

well let's agree to disagree. There aren't as many divergent stats in football as there are in baseball.

The creativity you speak of almost by definition necessitates making some things elevated to the level of yards, td's etc. But the nature of roto is all cats are created equal. It's a balancing act that isn't worth it.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2843
Joined: 3 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 15:49 hours
(and 45 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact