McGahee Officially Traded to Ravens - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

McGahee Officially Traded to Ravens

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Humpback » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:11 pm

Anybody who thinks that this is very :-t :-t for the Bills must not understand the situation. McGahee was going to be a free agent after this season. His agent is Drew Rosenhaus. He's been a bad influence in the locker room and has made comments about wanting to leave. There is no way that he was going to be a Bill beyond this season. Their choices were, play out the year with a mediocre team, hoping to go .500, then lose him to FA and get nothing, or try and deal him now. The fact that no one would give up a second rounder for Edge or SA in the past, and T. Jones was just traded to move up in the second round, shows that the trade market for RB's isn't great. With all of that said, getting 2 #3's and a #7 isn't a bad deal at all. Yes, his talent will be missed, but they weren't going very far this year with or without him. They made the best decision for their future that they could've.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LJ's Crush » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:14 pm

well thats it bengals are screwed mcgahee is gonna be a beast
LJ's Crush
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:43 pm

Humpback wrote:Anybody who thinks that this is very :-t :-t for the Bills must not understand the situation. McGahee was going to be a free agent after this season. His agent is Drew Rosenhaus. He's been a bad influence in the locker room and has made comments about wanting to leave. There is no way that he was going to be a Bill beyond this season. Their choices were, play out the year with a mediocre team, hoping to go .500, then lose him to FA and get nothing, or try and deal him now. The fact that no one would give up a second rounder for Edge or SA in the past, and T. Jones was just traded to move up in the second round, shows that the trade market for RB's isn't great. With all of that said, getting 2 #3's and a #7 isn't a bad deal at all. Yes, his talent will be missed, but they weren't going very far this year with or without him. They made the best decision for their future that they could've.

He still got traded for less than Wes Welker ;)
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby aaawall91 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:44 pm

hum, our run defense keeps going downhill..and now its not even our fault....
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby CC » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:06 pm

Humpback wrote:Anybody who thinks that this is very :-t :-t for the Bills must not understand the situation. McGahee was going to be a free agent after this season. His agent is Drew Rosenhaus. He's been a bad influence in the locker room and has made comments about wanting to leave. There is no way that he was going to be a Bill beyond this season. Their choices were, play out the year with a mediocre team, hoping to go .500, then lose him to FA and get nothing, or try and deal him now. The fact that no one would give up a second rounder for Edge or SA in the past, and T. Jones was just traded to move up in the second round, shows that the trade market for RB's isn't great. With all of that said, getting 2 #3's and a #7 isn't a bad deal at all. Yes, his talent will be missed, but they weren't going very far this year with or without him. They made the best decision for their future that they could've.

It's more the fact that the best players on the team consist of Aaron Schoebel, Lee Evans, and Derrick Dockery. Who wants to go and watch the Bills now?
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:19 pm

i was very happy to say the least when i heard the news that we signed willis.... takes away a bit of the sting of losing j-lew. ive always been a fan of mcgahee, it will be nice to see him sporting the purple. also nice to see we locked him up for a longterm.

as for the deal....sweet. :-) :-B

i actually had been hearing rumors that we were giving up our second and 7th picks for him, and even that was ok for me...since i know it is unlikely we could draft any RB late second round that could be productive out of the gate...much less questions down the road. we locked up a sure thing in mcgahee for what i consider next to nothing.

as for the ravens offseason...losing AT was a huge hit..the other positions we have pretty deep talent at, so that doesnt bother me so much. im glad to see the team taking a turn and making strides to improve the offensive side of the ball. if we draft some strong OL...this offense has some serious potential. mcnair/(mcgahee and musa)/(heap/clayton/mason/d. williams) looks pretty good to me ;-D

next order of buisness..trading anderson.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Humpback » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:03 am

It's more the fact that the best players on the team consist of Aaron Schoebel, Lee Evans, and Derrick Dockery. Who wants to go and watch the Bills now?

Do you think people were going to come out in droves to watch a guy with less than 4 ypc. that spent the offseason bad mouthing the city? Again, I'm not saying this is a great trade for the Bills, I'm saying they did the best they could given the circumstances.

As for Welker, I think that they overpaid for him, but he at least is a good kick returner as well. Also, he's not a bad guy in the locker room like McGahee is. You can't really compare the deals since they play different positions, and Miami wasn't forced to deal him so they could hold out for more. Miami held the upper hand in their deal, the Bills did not.

McGahee will be missed, but the only game you can make an argument that he won for the Bills last year was the Jax game, and even that's debatable. You could even argue that they would've won another game or two if he or another RB had played better. The Bills actually had a better record with Thomas as the starter (2-1, and the one loss was by a point at Indy). I'm not saying Thomas is nearly as good as McGahee, just pointing out that the Bills won't miss McGahee as much as people think. He's a bigger pick up for the Ravens then he is a loss for the Bills.
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby CC » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:52 am

Humpback wrote:

Do you think people were going to come out in droves to watch a guy with less than 4 ypc. that spent the offseason bad mouthing the city? Again, I'm not saying this is a great trade for the Bills, I'm saying they did the best they could given the circumstances.

As for Welker, I think that they overpaid for him, but he at least is a good kick returner as well. Also, he's not a bad guy in the locker room like McGahee is. You can't really compare the deals since they play different positions, and Miami wasn't forced to deal him so they could hold out for more. Miami held the upper hand in their deal, the Bills did not.

McGahee will be missed, but the only game you can make an argument that he won for the Bills last year was the Jax game, and even that's debatable. You could even argue that they would've won another game or two if he or another RB had played better. The Bills actually had a better record with Thomas as the starter (2-1, and the one loss was by a point at Indy). I'm not saying Thomas is nearly as good as McGahee, just pointing out that the Bills won't miss McGahee as much as people think. He's a bigger pick up for the Ravens then he is a loss for the Bills.

As somebody who lives close to the border and has gone to 5 Bills games in the last 2 years, McGahee was the main reason the Bills were even tolerable. I went last year mostly to watch the other teams, this year when I go it will be purely to watch the other teams.

Buffalo is a graveyard, they should move the team to Toronto.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Humpback » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:50 pm

As somebody who lives close to the border and has gone to 5 Bills games in the last 2 years, McGahee was the main reason the Bills were even tolerable. I went last year mostly to watch the other teams, this year when I go it will be purely to watch the other teams.

So you went to a whopping 5 games over 2 seasons, mostly to watch the other teams, and now you'll still go to watch the other teams. And your point is? They should've kept McGahee for this season so you would go to maybe 1 more game, then lose him to FA next year? Brilliant!!!
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby CC » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:49 pm

Humpback wrote:

So you went to a whopping 5 games over 2 seasons, mostly to watch the other teams, and now you'll still go to watch the other teams. And your point is? They should've kept McGahee for this season so you would go to maybe 1 more game, then lose him to FA next year? Brilliant!!!

I guess if you are trying to argue that no matter how shoddy a product the Bills put on the field, people will go watch, then yes, I will concede that people are always going to be willing to go to games.

But when you look at what the Bills got to replace their top draw and one of their best players, 2 3rd round picks and a 7th, which in all likelihood will never produce more than one servicable starter, was a good trade for the team you are dead wrong.

He may be a locker room cancer, but he is still a very good player and you should be able to get a lot more than that for him.
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk