McGahee Officially Traded to Ravens - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

McGahee Officially Traded to Ravens

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby chris.carp » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:03 pm

I tend to agree. The Bills had more blacked out games this year than most teams in the league. It doesnt help with the population in the area but I have to say its a result of the poor product they are putting on the field week in and week out.

I am just glad I have the NFL network so I dont have to miss my guy's beat up on the Bills.

They did get a good deal in terms of the picks but this franchise is in desperate need of a major signing to turn things around and draw some fans.

Its not easy to rebuild such a broken team. Ask the Raiders or Lions
chris.carp
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby chris.carp » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:06 pm

I tend to agree. The Bills had more blacked out games this year than most teams in the league. It doesnt help with the population in the area but I have to say its a result of the poor product they are putting on the field week in and week out.

I am just glad I have the NFL network so I dont have to miss my guy's beat up on the Bills.

They did get a good deal in terms of the picks but this franchise is in desperate need of a major signing to turn things around and draw some fans.

Its not easy to rebuild such a broken team. Ask the Raiders or Lions
chris.carp
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby eaglesfan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:08 pm

CC wrote:
Humpback wrote:
As somebody who lives close to the border and has gone to 5 Bills games in the last 2 years, McGahee was the main reason the Bills were even tolerable. I went last year mostly to watch the other teams, this year when I go it will be purely to watch the other teams.

Buffalo is a graveyard, they should move the team to Toronto.

So you went to a whopping 5 games over 2 seasons, mostly to watch the other teams, and now you'll still go to watch the other teams. And your point is? They should've kept McGahee for this season so you would go to maybe 1 more game, then lose him to FA next year? Brilliant!!!

I guess if you are trying to argue that no matter how shoddy a product the Bills put on the field, people will go watch, then yes, I will concede that people are always going to be willing to go to games.

But when you look at what the Bills got to replace their top draw and one of their best players, 2 3rd round picks and a 7th, which in all likelihood will never produce more than one servicable starter, was a good trade for the team you are dead wrong.

He may be a locker room cancer, but he is still a very good player and you should be able to get a lot more than that for him.

;-D Well Said
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby moochman » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:09 pm

It should be interesting to see how well he fits in in Baltimore. A lot of strong personalities there that might keep him in line better. This is a good trade for the Raves as they fill a hole at RB with a better quality RB than Lewis is at this stage, and who's running style fits their system better. The Raves also get a guy with a chip on his shoulder and playing in a contract year. Willis could really put all he has into having a great season.
I don't know what the Bills are doing but the word rebuilding comes to mind. Rumors were that Willis had worn out his welcome in Buffalo so I suppose they had to get whatever they could for him.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Humpback » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:50 pm

I guess if you are trying to argue that no matter how shoddy a product the Bills put on the field, people will go watch, then yes, I will concede that people are always going to be willing to go to games.

But when you look at what the Bills got to replace their top draw and one of their best players, 2 3rd round picks and a 7th, which in all likelihood will never produce more than one servicable starter, was a good trade for the team you are dead wrong.

He may be a locker room cancer, but he is still a very good player and you should be able to get a lot more than that for him.

Part of my point is that McGahee wasn't going to be their top draw, not next year. He had worn out his welcome with the fans and the city. Most fans are happy he's gone. You're right, the draft picks are a complete crapshoot, but maybe they'll turn into something- there have been plenty of pro bowlers drafted in the 3rd round and beyond. But my bigger point is that McGahee didn't get them anywhere- how much worse off will they be without him this year? Not much. They would've been lucky to be .500 with him, they'll probably be lucky to win 7 games without them- not much of a difference.

Guys like Edge and SA couldn't even get a 2nd rounder. T. Jones just went to move up in the second round. RB's don't have much trade value. Who else that was in a similar situation has been traded recently for much more than they got? It just doesn't happen much. Not only did Baltimore have to give up those picks, they had to pay him his extension as well. The business side of the NFL is a lot different from the fans perspective. It's not like he was signed for 3 more years at a reasonable rate- he was done after this season. It would've been a horrible move to not trade him, go 7-9 or 8-8 this season, and then get nothing for him next year. Now, at least they have a little head start on the rebuilding process. They still have the #12 pick, which they may spend on Lynch, or possible use some of their extra picks to move up and try and grab AP. Those guys would get fans excited again, and at least they haven't worn out their welcome (yet).

I didn't say it was a great deal, but when you factor in the off field and financial issues, it was the smart move. I would love to sit here and say "the Bills were going to go all the way", but the fact is, they weren't.

Moochman, he got an extension, so he's not in a contract year anymore. It wouldn't surprise me if he was motivated, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he was a lazy pain in the a$$.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby BlueBandit24 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:41 pm

moochman wrote:It should be interesting to see how well he fits in in Baltimore. A lot of strong personalities there that might keep him in line better. This is a good trade for the Raves as they fill a hole at RB with a better quality RB than Lewis is at this stage, and who's running style fits their system better. The Raves also get a guy with a chip on his shoulder and playing in a contract year. Willis could really put all he has into having a great season.
I don't know what the Bills are doing but the word rebuilding comes to mind. Rumors were that Willis had worn out his welcome in Buffalo so I suppose they had to get whatever they could for him.

I think Willis is the type of guy who will behave if he is in the right sitatuation, being on a winning team and getting his. If all those things aren't in place for him, he seems like a guy who will pout and complain until he gets his way. I think Baltimore is a good fit because they have good veteran leadership and is a place for him to succeed. If he causes unrest in the Ravens locker room, then you can label him a cancer.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:10 am

Humpback wrote:Moochman, he got an extension, so he's not in a contract year anymore. It wouldn't surprise me if he was motivated, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he was a lazy pain in the a$$.

I'm really off my game of late, didnt' know about the extention. I don't think that lazyness will be allowed in the Raven lockerroom though. It's a pretty good environment for McGahee to be in: enough players there who will be on him if he gets out of line.

What will this do to Evans value I wonder? If they don't field a competent running game Lee could suffer greatly.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby CC » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:14 am

moochman wrote:
Humpback wrote:Moochman, he got an extension, so he's not in a contract year anymore. It wouldn't surprise me if he was motivated, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he was a lazy pain in the a$$.

I'm really off my game of late, didnt' know about the extention. I don't think that lazyness will be allowed in the Raven lockerroom though. It's a pretty good environment for McGahee to be in: enough players there who will be on him if he gets out of line.

What will this do to Evans value I wonder? If they don't field a competent running game Lee could suffer greatly.

Lee Evans isn't even really reliable as a #1 WR on an NFL team, much less a #1 option. I think he will really fall off this year.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigGAME101 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:03 pm

I will add my 2 cents to a conversation that has been beaten to death:

I, like CC (and even with CC) have gone to Bills games and will admit (even as a huge BIlls fan), that I was more excited to see the other teams play over the past couple of seasons. Regardless of whether McGahee was a locker-room cancer, he was the show for the Bills. He was their biggest star and probably thier biggest marketed player. But so what? It wouldn't have meant anything after this season. There was no way McGahee was going to sign an extension, much less play for the Bills in '08. I think that CC's point is well taken. He should have commanded more in a trade. Unlike Edge and Alexander, Willis is a young talent who has many years left on his legs. But let's be honest, he didn't do much to help his case in Buffalo. I watched every Bills game this year, and I will be true when I say Anthony Thomas looked better than McGahee when he was in. It doesn't mean he is a better back, but with such an atrocious O-line they needed a guy who could get them the tough yards and fall forward. Getting 2 3rd rounders for Willis was probably not the best they could have done, but it was better than nothing. I just don't think Willurs had the heart to play for the Bills, and hopefully this will give him a second chance. Did the Bills get taken in that trade? Probably, but regardless of how much we all think Willis should have commanded, his production does not warrant a high round pick.

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Fantasy feud: McGahee to Baltimore

Postby The Lung » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:36 pm

Put two fantasy football experts into a room, and you can typically get three opinions on a given topic. Our experts will try to avoid that, but no promises!

One day after Jamal Lewis signed a deal with division-rival Cleveland, the Ravens filled a void at running back by landing Willis McGahee in exchange for a few draft picks.

Roger Rotter thinks Willis McGahee will make a solid impact in Baltimore, but John Juhasz isn't quite as convinced after looking at some stats. See? Those two can't even agree on that, so we need your help to decide who's right.
Roger Rotter wrote:
The expected move to Baltimore boosts Willis McGahee's fantasy stock to a solid first-round pick in fantasy drafts.

He offers the breakaway ability to score on a long touchdown run that the departed Jamal Lewis had failed to offer in the past couple seasons.

McGahee joins a Ravens' run-heavy offense that offers considerable more promise than Buffalo's recent stagnant offense and underwhelming line.

While it may be unreasonable to expect McGahee to achieve Jamal Lewis' career-high 2,066 yards in 2003, McGahee has the talent to be one of the league's top rushers and rush for 100-yard games on a consistent basis.

LaDainian Tomlinson stands apart in a class of his own as fantasy's top running back. Next, Steven Jackson, Larry Johnson, Frank Gore and Brian Westbrook offer unparalleled all-around skills in achieving high rushing and receiving yards.

Yet McGahee is poised to join the next tier of runners that includes Pittsburgh's Willie Parker, Denver's Travis Henry and Cincinnati's Rudi Johnson.
John Juhasz wrote:The Ravens have already lost half of the left side of their offensive line, and they may lose the other.

Left guard Edwin Mulitalo was released earlier this week, and LT Jonathan Ogden may ride off into the retirement sunset because he seems tired of the weekly grind. Ogden is one of the premier LTs in the game, meaning the Ravens are not going to get the same level of production from a plug-in.

And I realize McGahee didn't exactly have a stellar line blocking for him in Buffalo either, but he'll continue to be a mediocre RB2 for fantasy purposes.

His biggest problem was scoring TDs on the ground; he has a total of 11 of them in the past two seasons (with no receiving TDs in his career), and he doesn't exactly have the world's greatest work ethic.

And by the way, Baltimore's entire offense rushed for a total of only 11 TDs in 2006.

If you think two uncertains can come together and magically prosper (three if you count Baltimore's impending OL shuffling), then you must have a direct connection to a psychic hotline.

Roger Rotter deserves the verbal smack-down John Juhasz gives him. No way McGahee is a first-round pick now, especially considering the status of the Baltimore offensive line, whose shakiness was news to me.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk