Jets looking to acquire the second pick from Detroit - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jets looking to acquire the second pick from Detroit

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jets looking to acquire the second pick from Detroit

Postby Dawinner127 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:51 pm

Jets consider acquiring Lions pick
The Journal News is reporting there were unconfirmed rumors that the Jets were thinking of swapping their first pick, 25th overall, and a defensive starter, to the Lions for the second overall pick.

We have to assume the 'defensive starter' is linebacker Jonathan Vilma as his name has been the subject of many trade rumors the last few weeks.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/news/200 ... -pick.html

What are your thought's on this? I personally think the Jets have no reason to trade up and get the 2nd pick of the draft. They don't need another WR. They have Coles and just signed Cotchery to an extension. They also just traded and signed Thomas Jones.

What are your thoughts?

I also think the defensive player is probably going to be Vilma. I think that this trade is awful. Vilma and Rhodes are going to be the face of this franchise on defense for years.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 71)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RocketsDWM » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:53 pm

As a Pats fan, that would be a great trade if Vilma is involved.
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Balanced Man » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:54 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/n ... id=2410670

The jump from 25 to 2 is too substantial... 1900 points.

I would say that will 99% not happen.
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dawinner127 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:55 pm

The Balanced Man wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/n ... id=2410670

The jump from 25 to 2 is too substantial... 1900 points.

I would say that will 99% not happen.

How do they rank a player at Vilma's stats though?
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Flux » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:57 pm

Vilma is one of the best LBs in football.

Wasnt there some talk last offseason that they were trying to move Vilma then?

Interesting ;-7
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dawinner127 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:59 pm

Flux wrote:Vilma is one of the best LBs in football.

Wasnt there some talk last offseason that they were trying to move Vilma then?

Interesting ;-7

Yeah, I believe they were talking of moving him last year aswell. I don't see why though. He is just a monster on the field :-b I think him and Rhodes would could end up leading a very talented defense for years to come, so I don't see the point. Also, who would the Jets draft at 1.2? I really wouldn't want them taking a Defensive player at 1.2 ;-7
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby beanoX3 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:14 pm

As someone who isn't too familiar with the Jets, the only thing I can think of as to why they'd want to trade Vilma away is because he doesn't fit with Mangini's defensive scheme too well. Doesn't Mangini want to fully switch the defense into something the Pats run? A version of the 3-4?

Anyways, since this is the Lions we're talking about, maybe the Jets can acquire the 2nd overall pick by dangling a WR instead of Vilma. :-b
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby maddog60 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:30 pm

Why would the Jets want the #2 pick?

Joe Thomas? They have D'Brickshaw Ferguson.
Brady Quinn? Is he really #2 material?
Adrian Peterson? They could land Lynch or Bush where they are, is he worth it?
Calvin Johnson? Perhaps the only possible reason, but with Coles and Cotchery coming off such good years, all things considered, I dont see the need being great enough to warrant this.

Vilma is pretty much the only player on that team that should be untradeable. His age and ability dictate that. If he's not a natural 3-4 ILB, you adjust, you dont get rid of a player of his caliber in his prime, this guy is the kind of player you hope you're drafting. If they are trading off any other defensive player, as much as I think Rhodes is a great safety, I could see it happening, but not Vilma. That would be a downright idiotic move on their behalf.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CC » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:37 pm

Vilma will be the best defensive player in football within the next two years, this would be a terrible trade for the Jets.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby skibrett15 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:46 pm

CC wrote:Vilma will be the best defensive player in football within the next two years, this would be a terrible trade for the Jets.

that's a rediculous statement. Yes, he's good. But as of right now, I see no reason why Champ Bailey will be any worse. Plus it's two years. A lot of things can go right or wrong in two years. Still, not a good move in my opinion.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk