Jets looking to acquire the second pick from Detroit - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jets looking to acquire the second pick from Detroit

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kilroy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:49 pm

I don't see this happening, but I think that the trading Vilma would be a huge mistake by the Jets'

Doesn't fit the defensive scheme? Why? Is he too good?

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VaderFin » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:19 pm

At first I was thinking...Nooooo don't let the Jets hoodwink the Lions and move up that high. Then I saw it might involve Vilma? Trade away Jets trade away!!
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:11 pm

maddog60 wrote:Why would the Jets want the #2 pick?

Joe Thomas? They have D'Brickshaw Ferguson.
Brady Quinn? Is he really #2 material?
Adrian Peterson? They could land Lynch or Bush where they are, is he worth it?
Calvin Johnson? Perhaps the only possible reason, but with Coles and Cotchery coming off such good years, all things considered, I dont see the need being great enough to warrant this.

Vilma is pretty much the only player on that team that should be untradeable. His age and ability dictate that. If he's not a natural 3-4 ILB, you adjust, you dont get rid of a player of his caliber in his prime, this guy is the kind of player you hope you're drafting. If they are trading off any other defensive player, as much as I think Rhodes is a great safety, I could see it happening, but not Vilma. That would be a downright idiotic move on their behalf.

What maddog said. ;-D

I'll be VERY upset if they trade Vilma. I don't care who they get in return and trading him for a draft pick would be totally insane. :-t :-o

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

Postby RenT » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:33 pm

Yeah, I heard this rumor last week... thought it had died down a bit. As a Jets fan, I'd hate to see Vilma go because not only is he a talented player, but he is an upstanding individual (seems hard to come by in today's NFL). Unfortunately, until he adds some weight to that frame, he won't work out in the 3-4. He was manhandled last season by blockers. I thought about this trade when I first heard the rumor and wrote it off immediately. However, I came back and thought about it a bit more...

The trade would be for Calvin Johnson. He is arguably (maybe not so much of an arguement anymore) the best draft prospect since Orlando Pace. I will agree that the Jets WRs each had a very nice season last year. But, Coles came out right after the season and said that he isn't sure how much more his body can take - the guy gets punished out there. I am definitely on the Cotchery bandwagon too, but really, you can't tell me you'd like to have him as your number 1 option out there for the future. Say they take Calvin. Cotchery can always shine as the number 2 option, and the addition of an immediate impact WR may help add some extra years to Coles' playing time.

As for the trade itself... I guess it would be Vilma, 25, and one of the 2nds. According to this year's pick value chart, the 2nd pick is 2600 points. The 25th pick is 720 points, and the Jets second rounders are roughly 300 points each (one a little higher, one a little lower). So that would peg Vilma at about 1500-1600 points which would be the 6 or 7 pick. I'd put him at a top 10 pick value for most teams in the league, and for Detroit he is probably worth closer to pick 5. He is absolutely perfect for the defense that they run, and he would definitely flourish in that situation. As selfish as I would like to be and keep Vilma on the Jets, he just isn't really a good fit for the 3-4 at this point in time.

But hey, this trade would never happen so we won't have to worry about giving up such an outstanding individual such as Vilma. But pleeeeease please please please fellow Jets fans... don't come out here and tell me you're comfortable with the wide receiver situation. While it is definitely NOT the biggest need that should be address (hello run D...), it is probably top 3. And if you're given an option to take possibly the best WR prospect ever and trade away a linebacker that doesn't fit a coach's defensive philosophy, you at least have to think about it.

Anyways, I am already psyched for next season... great things are on the horizon ;-D
RenT
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dgan » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:54 pm

RenT wrote:Yeah, I heard this rumor last week... thought it had died down a bit. As a Jets fan, I'd hate to see Vilma go because not only is he a talented player, but he is an upstanding individual (seems hard to come by in today's NFL). Unfortunately, until he adds some weight to that frame, he won't work out in the 3-4. He was manhandled last season by blockers. I thought about this trade when I first heard the rumor and wrote it off immediately. However, I came back and thought about it a bit more...

The trade would be for Calvin Johnson. He is arguably (maybe not so much of an arguement anymore) the best draft prospect since Orlando Pace. I will agree that the Jets WRs each had a very nice season last year. But, Coles came out right after the season and said that he isn't sure how much more his body can take - the guy gets punished out there. I am definitely on the Cotchery bandwagon too, but really, you can't tell me you'd like to have him as your number 1 option out there for the future. Say they take Calvin. Cotchery can always shine as the number 2 option, and the addition of an immediate impact WR may help add some extra years to Coles' playing time.

As for the trade itself... I guess it would be Vilma, 25, and one of the 2nds. According to this year's pick value chart, the 2nd pick is 2600 points. The 25th pick is 720 points, and the Jets second rounders are roughly 300 points each (one a little higher, one a little lower). So that would peg Vilma at about 1500-1600 points which would be the 6 or 7 pick. I'd put him at a top 10 pick value for most teams in the league, and for Detroit he is probably worth closer to pick 5. He is absolutely perfect for the defense that they run, and he would definitely flourish in that situation. As selfish as I would like to be and keep Vilma on the Jets, he just isn't really a good fit for the 3-4 at this point in time.

But hey, this trade would never happen so we won't have to worry about giving up such an outstanding individual such as Vilma. But pleeeeease please please please fellow Jets fans... don't come out here and tell me you're comfortable with the wide receiver situation. While it is definitely NOT the biggest need that should be address (hello run D...), it is probably top 3. And if you're given an option to take possibly the best WR prospect ever and trade away a linebacker that doesn't fit a coach's defensive philosophy, you at least have to think about it.

Anyways, I am already psyched for next season... great things are on the horizon ;-D

Great post. ;-D I don't know enough about the Jets to agree or disagree, but you made a convincing enough of an argument that I'll agree with you.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Dawinner127 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:16 am

RenT wrote:Yeah, I heard this rumor last week... thought it had died down a bit. As a Jets fan, I'd hate to see Vilma go because not only is he a talented player, but he is an upstanding individual (seems hard to come by in today's NFL). Unfortunately, until he adds some weight to that frame, he won't work out in the 3-4. He was manhandled last season by blockers. I thought about this trade when I first heard the rumor and wrote it off immediately. However, I came back and thought about it a bit more...

Wow!! That's a hell of a post right there. I somewhat agree, that our WR situation isn't the greatest, but is it really worth giving up a Defensive stud and more for CJ, who could end up just being a bust?? I really wouldn't want to take that risk and end up losing Vilma who is going to win defensive player of the year, sooner or later. I just don't want to take that risk. I think Brad Smith can be a solid #2 WR once Coles is done aswell.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby bagobonez » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:37 am

Vilma's a perfect fit in a 4-3 or Tampa 2 defense. Unfortunately he just doesn't play as well in a 3-4, and if the Jets are adamant in sticking to a 3-4 defense, then it would make alot of sense to trade him away, especially if they can land a stud like Calvin Johnson. I think the smartest thing to do, however, would be to stay with the 4-3. Dewayne Robertson and Vilma do not fit the 3-4.
Last edited by bagobonez on Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dawinner127 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:41 am

Also, one thing I forgot to add to my previous post was that, it would be a killer to see Vilma get traded. I love going to the games and watch the guy run all over the field and being in every play. But if the Jets GM and front office must, I hope they get something decent for him ;-D
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:21 am

I can't see this happening. I think it would be a bad move by the Jets though, so if they are wanting to do it, I can definitely see the Lions getting on board. :-/
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:23 pm

I wouldn't mind if this trade went down. I don't see it happening becuase it would make too much sense for the Lions. The Lions have so many holes that they need the picks more than they need the number two pick. Vilma and a late number one who could be turned into a CB/OL/DL player they need so badly? Nah, makes too much sense.

As for the Jets, Johnson should be a beast and could be one of the top WR for the next decade. But will that get them to a Super Bowl? WR might be one of the most over-rated positions in football.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk