Browns Trade Droughns to NYG (merged) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Browns Trade Droughns to NYG (merged)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Browns Trade Droughns to NYG (merged)

Postby sox 06 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:52 pm

In an active tailback market, where three starters have already changed teams via trades in the past week, there figure to be even more deals in coming days.

And the player most likely to be traded next is Reuben Droughns of Clevelend, who has been made expendable by the Browns' signing of unrestricted free agent Jamal Lewis to a one-year contract Wednesday night.

League and team sources confirmed to ESPN.com that the Browns are actively shopping Droughns, their starter the past two seasons, in trade talks.

If Cleveland is unable to reach a trade accommodation, Droughns could be released.

Three starting tailbacks from 2006 -- Tatum Bell (from Denver to Detroit), Thomas Jones (from Chicago to the New York Jets) and Willis McGahee (from Buffalo to Baltimore) -- have been traded in the past week.

Droughns, 28, is due a $1.75 million roster bonus March 17, and the Browns almost certainly want to avoid paying it, especially after acquiring Lewis, who has already been penciled in as the starter. Droughns is scheduled to have a base salary of $1.25 million for 2007.

He is due base salaries of $1.75 million for 2008 and $2.75 million for '09.

A seven-year veteran, Droughns, 28, came to the Browns from Denver in a 2005 trade, after rushing for 1,240 yards in 2004. He gained 1,232 yards in 2005, his first year in Cleveland, and the Browns rewarded him with a three-year contract extension worth $12 million. But Droughns slumped to 758 yards in 2006 and there have been some off-field problems in the past year.

When Lewis became available, the Browns moved quickly to sign him, and there is also a chance Cleveland will use its first-round choice in the 2007 draft to take Oklahoma tailback Adrian Peterson.

LINK
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby aaawall91 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:54 pm

You think if Denver can work out a good price he goes back? yeah I know they have Bell, Cobbs, and Henry right now, but Bell and Cobbs may not be ready yet anyways...
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flux » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:56 pm

aaawall91 wrote:You think if Denver can work out a good price he goes back? yeah I know they have Bell, Cobbs, and Henry right now, but Bell and Cobbs may not be ready yet anyways...

Dont forget that Droughns was initially a Fullback. He could be moved back.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Balanced Man » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:03 pm

This has been swirling around C-town too. I expect no trade to be found and for him to be released, and Peterson drafted.
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:05 pm

This would certainly seem to indicate that Cleveland is planning on taking Peterson at 3. I don't think they'd be quite so eager to unload Reuben otherwise.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:06 pm

The Balanced Man wrote:This has been swirling around C-town too. I expect no trade to be found and for him to be released, and Peterson drafted.

That's exactly what I expect to happen as well. Droughns is due something like $1.75 million next week and the Browns are unlikely to be willing to pay that. Jamal Lewis' one year deal is basically composed of the money that Droughns was supposed to get.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby sox 06 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:06 pm

He's had some off the field issues and he had a down year last season but I think he can still help some team. Whether he's a starter or a #2 back, if he is released I think he'll be signed by some team.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Felix the Cat » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:09 pm

Who might be interested in Droughns?

Buffalo, to replace McGahee?
Green Bay, to (presumably) share time with Marshawn Lynch?
New England, to share time with Maroney?
Chicago, to split with Cedric Benson?
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby sox 06 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:13 pm

Felix the Cat wrote:Who might be interested in Droughns?

I would say Buffalo, Green Bay, Chicago then New England for his possible destinations out of those.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby The Balanced Man » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:16 pm

Felix the Cat wrote:Who might be interested in Droughns?

Dillon will be a Bill.

Betts will be a packer.

The Pats have already signed Morris to back up Maroney.

Chicago has Peterson.

I think none of them.
Last edited by The Balanced Man on Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk