Browns Trade Droughns to NYG (merged) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Browns Trade Droughns to NYG (merged)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:29 pm

The Balanced Man wrote:
Felix the Cat wrote:Who might be interested in Droughns?

Buffalo, to replace McGahee?
Green Bay, to (presumably) share time with Marshawn Lynch?
New England, to share time with Maroney?
Chicago, to split with Cedric Benson?

Dillon will be a Bill.

Betts will be a packer.

The Pats have already signed Morris to back up Maroney.

Chicago has Peterson.

I think none of them.

What about the Giants? They are going to need someone to pair up with Jacobs.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Balanced Man » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:35 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:
The Balanced Man wrote:
Felix the Cat wrote:Who might be interested in Droughns?

Buffalo, to replace McGahee?
Green Bay, to (presumably) share time with Marshawn Lynch?
New England, to share time with Maroney?
Chicago, to split with Cedric Benson?

Dillon will be a Bill.

Betts will be a packer.

The Pats have already signed Morris to back up Maroney.

Chicago has Peterson.

I think none of them.

What about the Giants? They are going to need someone to pair up with Jacobs.

I think Rhodes will be a Giant.

Point of the whole thing is that the RB market is saturated, and Droughns won't gander much interest.
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kilroy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:36 pm

In think Green Bay may be a possibility, if only because I can't see why the 'Skins would want to "sell low" on Betts, which they'd likely have to do given the glut of Running Backs available.

If Droughns leaves Cleveland it will be by being released though, as I agree with TBM that trade interest in him will likely be virtually non-existent given the market.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby kyguy78 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:31 pm

I don't think Cleveland will be able to get anything for him. They've got Lewis, they'll draft AP, and they know he's either gonna sit the pine or be released, so why would a team give up much for a guy they know has very little value to his current team?

"Just when you think you know the answers, I change the questions!"
kyguy78
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby maddog60 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:59 pm

kyguy78 wrote:I don't think Cleveland will be able to get anything for him. They've got Lewis, they'll draft AP, and they know he's either gonna sit the pine or be released, so why would a team give up much for a guy they know has very little value to his current team?

The only reason a team would give them anything is to insure they are the ones signing him. 5th round pick I say.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Shock Wave » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:41 pm

Looks like the Giants got him for Carter, I like the trade and think hes a good fit.
Shock Wave
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Amazinz » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:25 pm

I'd have taken a 6-pack for Carter at this point. Guess it's a good thing I'm not GM. :*)
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby sox 06 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:31 pm

Here is the story:

Filling their need for a proven running back to team with youngster Brandon Jacobs, the New York Giants on Friday acquired Reuben Droughns from the Cleveland Browns in exchange for wide receiver Tim Carter, ESPN.com has learned.

Cleveland has been shopping Droughns in trade talks since signing unrestricted free agent tailback Jamal Lewis to a one-year contract earlier this week. The Giants were seeking a tailback to replace the retired Tiki Barber.

Droughns, 28, should provide the Giants a solid insurance policy and a veteran and tested back who can share the ball-carrying chores with Jacobs, a two-year veteran. Jacobs has been the complementary back to Barber, playing mostly in short-yardage and goal-line situations in his two NFL seasons.

A fourth-round pick in the 2005 draft, Jacobs has logged only 134 career carries for 522 yards, but has scored 16 touchdowns. Last season, the former Southern Illinois standout rushed for 423 yards and nine TDs on 96 attempts.

Droughns came to the Browns from Denver in a 2005 trade after rushing for 1,240 yards in 2004. He gained 1,232 yards in 2005, his first year in Cleveland, and the Browns rewarded him with a three-year contract extension worth $12 million. But Droughns slumped to 758 yards in 2006 and there have been some off-field problems in the past year.

He was due a $1.75 million roster bonus on March 17 but the Browns wanted to avoid paying it, especially after acquiring Lewis, who has already been penciled in as the starter. Droughns is scheduled to have a base salary of $1.25 million for 2007 and is due base salaries of $1.75 million for '08 and $2.75 million for '09 under his Cleveland contract. It was not immediately known if he reworked his contract to help accommodate the trade.

For Carter, the deal represents a chance for a fresh start after five injury-marred seasons with the Giants.

"Tim is absolutely excited about this opportunity," agent Pat Dye Jr. said on Friday afternoon. "In discussing Tim's situation with the Giants, we wanted to identify some teams who might be a good fit for him if New York decided to deal him. Obviously the Browns, who were looking for the kind of deep-threat dimension he brings to the table, were the most proactive."

Carter, 27, was a second-round choice of the Giants in 2002. The former Auburn standout possesses sprinter's speed, but a series of injuries have kept him from fulfilling his potential. He has 72 career receptions for 967 yards and three touchdowns in 33 games, including 11 starts. Last season, Carter started eight games and had 22 catches for 253 yards and two touchdowns.

In an active market, Droughns is the fourth starting-caliber tailback to be traded in the past week. The other tailbacks to be traded were Tatum Bell (from Denver to Detroit), Thomas Jones (from Chicago to the New York Jets) and Willis McGahee (from Buffalo to Baltimore).
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Kilroy » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:32 pm

From The Giant Insider:

Giants trade for RB

By Ken Palmer

Posted Mar 9, 2007

TGI has learned that the Giants have opted to go the trade route to add a running back to complement Brandon Jacobs. The Giants and Browns have finalized details of a trade that would send disappointing receiver Tim Carter to Cleveland and bring Big Blue back Reuben Droughns.

Giants GM Jerry Reese confirmed to TGI that the trade was “done, pending physicals.”

Droughns, a seven-year vet, is coming off a 758-yard campaign in Cleveland, his second season with the Browns. Droughns surpassed the magical 1,000-yard mark in both his final season in Denver (2004, when he had 1,240 yards) and his first season with the Browns (1,232 yards). The 5-11, 220-pounder has a 3.9-yards per carry average on 844 career totes. The Oregon product has also caught 116 passes for 940 yards in his career.

As for the injury-prone Carter, he’s been nothing short of an enigma in New York, as he was never able to harness his incredible speed and athletic ability. In five seasons with the Giants, Carter only caught 72 passes with a season high of 26 in 2003.

I think it's safe to assume at this point the Browns will be drafting Peterson.

As a Browns fan I guess I'm OK with this, if for no other reason than we at least got something for Droughns. Maybe the change of scenery will serve Carter well.

So, what effect does this, in your esteemed opinions, have on Jacobs' value?

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Amazinz » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:43 pm

Not really sure but I think that Reese's behavior this off-season suggests that it's Jacobs job to lose. Droughns isn't really anything special. I think it's nice insurance for the Giants but I don't see the situation changing all the much. Also, as far as Carter is concerned, if the guy could ever stop dropping the damn ball he could be an excellent WR.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk