Browns Trade Droughns to NYG (merged) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Browns Trade Droughns to NYG (merged)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby FF Newbie » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:14 pm

treat24 wrote:
FF Newbie wrote:Good signing by the Giants. Droughns is a strong runner and a surprisingly good pass-catcher. He'll fit in well in that offense. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 15-20 carries/game with Jacobs getting the goalline work and occassionally spelling Droughns for a series or two.


IS THAT A JOKE! Jacobs will start over droughns... no question... I will put big money on that. Accorsi just said last week that Jacobs will get 80% of the carries and they were looking for a back to lighten his load... NOT take his job...

I think the effect this trade has is that the brwns (sic) are showing that they are targeting AP...

No, it's not a joke. I'd be willing to bet big money that Jacobes DOESN'T get 80% of the carries. But since this is a fantasy football forum and not a casino, how about a sig bet? If Jacbos gets 80% of the carries in New York next year, I'll use whatever sig you choose for an entire year. If not, you use whatever sig I choose for an entire year. Let me know.
Image
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 2990
Joined: 13 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby treat24 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:24 pm

FF Newbie wrote:
treat24 wrote:
FF Newbie wrote:Good signing by the Giants. Droughns is a strong runner and a surprisingly good pass-catcher. He'll fit in well in that offense. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 15-20 carries/game with Jacobs getting the goalline work and occassionally spelling Droughns for a series or two.


IS THAT A JOKE! Jacobs will start over droughns... no question... I will put big money on that. Accorsi just said last week that Jacobs will get 80% of the carries and they were looking for a back to lighten his load... NOT take his job...

I think the effect this trade has is that the brwns (sic) are showing that they are targeting AP...

No, it's not a joke. I'd be willing to bet big money that Jacobes DOESN'T get 80% of the carries. But since this is a fantasy football forum and not a casino, how about a sig bet? If Jacbos gets 80% of the carries in New York next year, I'll use whatever sig you choose for an entire year. If not, you use whatever sig I choose for an entire year. Let me know.


I'm not willing to bet on 80%... that is what ernie accorsi said... not me...

but I will make a bet with you... I've seen your posts and know you to be a knowledgeable fantasy football guy and you definately are a guy whose opinion I respect on here...

I just don't agree with you on this one...

All I said is that I see Jacobs as the starter... I believe droughns to be the change of pace or "spell jacobs" guy...

as a sidenote: I plan on staying away from both unless they are cheap...

If you wanna make a bet I will... but I know 80% is a ridiculous estimate by accorsi
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18188
Joined: 6 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby FF Newbie » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:52 pm

treat24 wrote:
FF Newbie wrote:
treat24 wrote:
FF Newbie wrote:Good signing by the Giants. Droughns is a strong runner and a surprisingly good pass-catcher. He'll fit in well in that offense. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 15-20 carries/game with Jacobs getting the goalline work and occassionally spelling Droughns for a series or two.


IS THAT A JOKE! Jacobs will start over droughns... no question... I will put big money on that. Accorsi just said last week that Jacobs will get 80% of the carries and they were looking for a back to lighten his load... NOT take his job...

I think the effect this trade has is that the brwns (sic) are showing that they are targeting AP...

No, it's not a joke. I'd be willing to bet big money that Jacobes DOESN'T get 80% of the carries. But since this is a fantasy football forum and not a casino, how about a sig bet? If Jacbos gets 80% of the carries in New York next year, I'll use whatever sig you choose for an entire year. If not, you use whatever sig I choose for an entire year. Let me know.


I'm not willing to bet on 80%... that is what ernie accorsi said... not me...

but I will make a bet with you... I've seen your posts and know you to be a knowledgeable fantasy football guy and you definately are a guy whose opinion I respect on here...

I just don't agree with you on this one...

All I said is that I see Jacobs as the starter... I believe droughns to be the change of pace or "spell jacobs" guy...

as a sidenote: I plan on staying away from both unless they are cheap...

If you wanna make a bet I will... but I know 80% is a ridiculous estimate by accorsi

Haha. Yeah, 80% is ridiculous, even if Jacobs is the feature back. But you're the one who quoted it! ;-) I'm not sure a bet is necessary. Jacobs might be the starter, but I see about an even split on carries. Droughns may get a few more, but Jacobs will still get the goalline totes. Overall, his workload will probably be a little higher than last year, but he won't be getting 300 carries.
Image
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 2990
Joined: 13 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:55 pm

It was Reese who said it (Accorsi is retired) and if you want to figure the percentage he said approximately 60%. What he really said was that the Giants were planning on ~ 20 carries per game from Jacobs and 10-15 from the backup. Tiki took 71% of the carries last year (looking at all rush attempts) so I definitely would not bet on 80%.
Image
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 2552
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby treat24 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:09 pm

Amazinz wrote:It was Reese who said it (Accorsi is retired) and if you want to figure the percentage he said approximately 60%. What he really said was that the Giants were planning on ~ 20 carries per game from Jacobs and 10-15 from the backup. Tiki took 71% of the carries last year (looking at all rush attempts) so I definitely would not bet on 80%.


i will trust the guy with the giants sig... i musta misread the article... it was a week ago and there has been a lot of movement and spec since then... plus my memory isn't what it used to be

yeah 80 % is ridiculous for any back...

I still don't see droughns taking the starting job at all unless there is an injury... I don't like either as an RB1 or RB2 right now
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18188
Joined: 6 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Humpback » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:14 pm

I'm not sure why so many people say Droughns stinks. He had a bad year this past year, but the entire Cleveland offense stunk. The prior two years, he was actually very good. Didn't score many TD's, but that's more a function of the lack of opportunities than his performance- his yardage was pretty darn good. I think this is a good move for the Giants- gives them a guy who can keep Jacobs fresh, and he can step in and carry the load if something happens to Jacobs. He's not great, but the price was right.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 3333
Joined: 19 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby WessWackos » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:03 am

I believe Jacobs will be the GO TO back if there is such a thing in the Giants offense this year. I bet he receives 60% of the carries. I think Droughns and Derrick Ward (3rd down back) will share the rest.

Ward has been hurt, but I think the Giants have expectations that he will fill in and play Tiki's roll (albeit only 10-15% of the carries). I have Jacobs in a dynasty league so I've read up on this subject a bit.

In the end...it's anyone's guess however.
WessWackos
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant


Posts: 561
Joined: 16 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Timbathia » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:58 pm

Droughns is a fullback, plain and simple. He has very little ability as a tail back. His upside is that he plays like a guy that is living his dream of playing in the NFL and knows he has to prove himself with every carry. That worked in Denver, but lets face it, Denver got rid of him because they knew how low his upside was. He is a great guy to spell your running back as he doesnt need carries to warm up, he goes hard from the first one. If Jacobs isnt the answer in NY, then they are screwed because Droughns wont win them any games.

This decision by NY either means that they think Jacobs can be the man provided he gets 10 carries a game of help from someone, or else they have essentially realised that they cant compete this year.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 975
Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Geelong, Australia

Postby Humpback » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:23 pm

Timbathia wrote:Droughns is a fullback, plain and simple. He has very little ability as a tail back. His upside is that he plays like a guy that is living his dream of playing in the NFL and knows he has to prove himself with every carry. That worked in Denver, but lets face it, Denver got rid of him because they knew how low his upside was. He is a great guy to spell your running back as he doesnt need carries to warm up, he goes hard from the first one. If Jacobs isnt the answer in NY, then they are screwed because Droughns wont win them any games.

This decision by NY either means that they think Jacobs can be the man provided he gets 10 carries a game of help from someone, or else they have essentially realised that they cant compete this year.


And what about the 1600 total yards he had his first season in Cleveland, when he became the first RB to rush for over 1000 yds. for the Browns in 20 years? I'm not saying the guy's great, but people are writing him off like he's complete garbage and he's not. He averaged 4 ypc. behind a horrendous O-line and overall bad offense.

The Giants obviously think Jacobs can be the man, that's why this move makes a lot of sense for them. It's just a cheap insurance policy.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 3333
Joined: 19 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Timbathia » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:12 pm

The dude had 2 rushing TDs that year despite 310 carries. Yes, he played on a terrible offense, but I stand behind my comment in that he wont win you any games. He wont make anyone miss and doesnt have the ability to break out big runs (unless the defense breaks down).

I dont think he is complete garbage. He runs hard into the gap prescribed by the called play. Effort-wise he is one of the best RBs in the game, but talent-wise he is about the worst (compared to other starters).
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 975
Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Geelong, Australia

Previous

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 18:04 hours
(and 45 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact