Seahawks Release Grant Wistrom. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Seattle Seahawks

Seahawks Release Grant Wistrom.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Seahawks Release Grant Wistrom.

Postby Alkaholik » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:34 pm

Seahawks Release DE Grant Wistrom

Posted: Mar 08, 2007 at 06:59 PM (

Source: Fanball.com[ Full Article ]
Defensive end Grant Wistrom was released on Thursday, according to ESPN. Wistrom became expendable when the Seahawks splashed out a fancy new contract for Patrick Kerney. Wistrom has produced like he was expected to since he went to Seattle, but should find a job with a team looking to add a veteran end.

i dont get it, that was going to be our killer set having fischer, tapp, wistrom and kerney, that way we could rotate them in more so they get more rest like indy does. Not only that but what about hamlin or a TE for us? eric johnson signed, randy mcmichael signed and daniel graham signed.....notin freakin left
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Seahawks Release Grant Wistrom.

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:40 pm

Alkaholik wrote:

Defensive end Grant Wistrom was released on Thursday, according to ESPN. Wistrom became expendable when the Seahawks splashed out a fancy new contract for Patrick Kerney. Wistrom has produced like he was expected to since he went to Seattle, but should find a job with a team looking to add a veteran end.

i dont get it, that was going to be our killer set having fischer, tapp, wistrom and kerney, that way we could rotate them in more so they get more rest like indy does. Not only that but what about hamlin or a TE for us? eric johnson signed, randy mcmichael signed and daniel graham signed.....notin freakin left

Nfl Fan is NOT happy about Wistrom getting cut! :-t
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Re: Seahawks Release Grant Wistrom.

Postby SeaWolf » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:50 pm

Alkaholik wrote:

Afte they signed Kerney, they tried to restucture his contract. He refused. He was set to make 3.5 mil this year. I'll find a link and post it.

Edit: I found some info.

Found near the bottom of this article.

Ruskell was evasive when asked about the status of veteran defensive end Grant Wistrom. "We're going to be spending time with Grant's representatives in the near future," Ruskell said. Wistrom is scheduled to make $3.5 million in base salary this year and probably will have to restructure his contract or be released.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Alkaholik » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:49 pm

u got to be kidding me!!!!! wistrom loved seattle, not only playing here but living here, he had his annual halloween party....i'm sure the mrs. had something to do with this.....they always want the man of the house to bring home more bacon!!!!!
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:11 pm

I guess I understand Kerney now, but still... I don't see it making sense unless they need to clear salary to sign an impact DB/OL/TE etc, but there aren't any left. Damn. :-[
Big Pimpin
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Eagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SeaWolf » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:15 pm

Alkaholik wrote:u got to be kidding me!!!!! wistrom loved seattle, not only playing here but living here, he had his annual halloween party....i'm sure the mrs. had something to do with this.....they always want the man of the house to bring home more bacon!!!!!

I agree with you. It would have been nice to rotate Wistrom in, but looks like that is not going to happen. They must be high on Tapp.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SeaWolf » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:12 am

From Kilroy’s post in the leftovers forum.

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=322959

Seahawks release DE Grant Wistrom

By TIM BOOTH
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

SEATTLE -- The Seattle Seahawks released fiery defensive end Grant Wistrom on Thursday after three years of struggling to match the big contract he signed in 2004.

Wistrom was scheduled to make $3.5 million for the 2007 season, part of a six-year, $33 million deal Wistrom signed during the 2004 offseason. His contract included a then-club-record $14 million in guaranteed money, but Wistrom never posted bignumbers with the Seahawks.

Calls to his agent, Tom Condon, were not immediately returned.

Wistrom's release comes a day after the team formally introduced new defensive end Patrick Kerney, who signed a six-year, $39.5 million contract. Coach Mike Holmgren said Kerney wasn't acquired to be "standing next to me on the sidelines."

After Kerney's introduction, general manager Tim Ruskell said Wistrom role with the team would be addressed. Presumably, with Kerney's arrival, the team was seeking to have Wistrom restructure his deal.

"We'll have to talk it through and we'll do that with Grant and his agents and see where it is after that," Ruskell said on Wednesday.

advertising
A day later, Wistrom was released.

With Wistrom's departure, Bryce Fisher will most likely move to right end and Kerney will start on the left side. Darryl Tapp was also used in a rotation last season, and Seattle often lined up linebacker Julian Peterson at defensive end in passing situations.

Wistrom was a favorite of Holmgren's for his intensity and hustle on the field. Despite his energy, Wistrom never produced the same numbers as his first six seasons in St. Louis.

Over the last two years, Wistrom had four sacks in each season, and his tackles fell from 52 in 2005 to 37 last year. Wistrom missed seven games during the 2004 season with injuries - his first in Seattle.

Wistrom played in 41 regular-season games with Seattle and had 11 1/2 sacks.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Alkaholik » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:41 am

I wont lie though, wistrom was the not the player we wanted to get from st loius, in st louie he was a beast and he didnt do much our in d system.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BGbootha » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:43 am

Alkaholik wrote:I wont lie though, wistrom was the not the player we wanted to get from st loius, in st louie he was a beast and he didnt do much our in d system.

yeah never really been a huge Grant guy either. He was a beast on the east coast but never did a whole lot here.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Return to Seattle Seahawks