Seahawks Release Wistrom

Moderator: Football Moderators

Seahawks Release Wistrom

Postby Kilroy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:25 pm

From the Seattle Post-Intelligencer:

Seahawks release DE Grant Wistrom

By TIM BOOTH
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

SEATTLE -- The Seattle Seahawks released fiery defensive end Grant Wistrom on Thursday after three years of struggling to match the big contract he signed in 2004.

Wistrom was scheduled to make $3.5 million for the 2007 season, part of a six-year, $33 million deal Wistrom signed during the 2004 offseason. His contract included a then-club-record $14 million in guaranteed money, but Wistrom never posted bignumbers with the Seahawks.

Calls to his agent, Tom Condon, were not immediately returned.

Wistrom's release comes a day after the team formally introduced new defensive end Patrick Kerney, who signed a six-year, $39.5 million contract. Coach Mike Holmgren said Kerney wasn't acquired to be "standing next to me on the sidelines."

After Kerney's introduction, general manager Tim Ruskell said Wistrom role with the team would be addressed. Presumably, with Kerney's arrival, the team was seeking to have Wistrom restructure his deal.

"We'll have to talk it through and we'll do that with Grant and his agents and see where it is after that," Ruskell said on Wednesday.

advertising
A day later, Wistrom was released.

With Wistrom's departure, Bryce Fisher will most likely move to right end and Kerney will start on the left side. Darryl Tapp was also used in a rotation last season, and Seattle often lined up linebacker Julian Peterson at defensive end in passing situations.

Wistrom was a favorite of Holmgren's for his intensity and hustle on the field. Despite his energy, Wistrom never produced the same numbers as his first six seasons in St. Louis.

Over the last two years, Wistrom had four sacks in each season, and his tackles fell from 52 in 2005 to 37 last year. Wistrom missed seven games during the 2004 season with injuries - his first in Seattle.

Wistrom played in 41 regular-season games with Seattle and had 11 1/2 sacks.

Hardly a surprise after the Kerney signing. Any theories on where he'll end up?

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Munboy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:55 pm

Shocker! 8-o

;-7
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby dgan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:20 am

Why not San Francisco? They must have some change still in their pocket they haven't spent yet. :-b
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:28 am

Yeah, this was easy to see coming. I would love to see a player like him on the Cowboys, but that is definitely not where we need help, soooo...

...I don't know where he would go. :-?

I just hope he doesn't go to anybody else in the NFC East. 8-o
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mystykoekaki » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:04 am

Roll em dice baby, SNAKE EYES! ...come to Vikes! :D
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dgan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:18 am

I don't see him in a 3-4. I mean, he's talented enough, but it just seems like he is the ideal 4-3 end.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:22 am

dgan wrote:I don't see him in a 3-4. I mean, he's talented enough, but it just seems like he is the ideal 4-3 end.

Yeah, you are probably right. Most 3-4 systems would probably be a lot more reluctant to give him another shot than the 4-3 systems.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk