Deon Grant signs with Seattle - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Deon Grant signs with Seattle

Moderator: Football Moderators

Deon Grant signs with Seattle

Postby SeaWolf » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:34 am

Saw on the local news that Seattle is set to sign Jacksonville Safety Deon Grant. That would mean the end to Ken Hamlin in Seattle.

I could find no link.

Edit: From ESPN

Like any good safety, Deon Grant needed to have the right type of timing and anticipation.

The Jaguars safety traveled to Seattle after they went one for three in the big free agent sweepstakes, landing defensive end Patrick Kerney but losing guard Kris Dielman and tight end Daniel Graham. Unwilling to lose Grant to the New York Giants or other teams, the Seahawks stepped up and made Grant the third highest paid safety in football, giving him a six-year deal in excess of $30 million a year.

To get the deal done, they gave him a signing bonus that topped the $11.1 million to Roy Williams of the Dallas Cowboys. Though the specifics weren't available, Grant is believed to received the biggest signing bonus ever given to an NFL safety.

Grant flew to Seattle Thursday night to sign the deal along with his agent, Mitch Frankel.

Ravens safety Ed Reed, who signed a seven-year, $44,4 million contract, and Roy Williams of the Cowboys, who has a five-year, $30.1 million deal, are the league's highest paid safeties. Grant topped the recent contract signed by Michael Lewis. Lewis got a six-year, $30 million contract to leave the Eagles and go to the 49ers.

The Seahawks wanted Grant for several reasons. They've been having coverage problems at the safety position for the two seasons. Grant can help them with leadership and athletic ability. The 6-2, 210-pound Grant was a second-round choice of the Panthers in 2000. He signed a three-year, $7.2 million contract to go to Jacksonville in 2004. He's made 96 consecutive starts during his six-year career and he played 93 percent of the Jaguars defensive snaps last season.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dgan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:52 am

Hamlin to Green Bay, I would think. Although Ted Thompson must have not paid his cell bill since the Packers have done NOTHING so far...so who knows.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby skibrett15 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:47 am

I was actually hoping Grant would go to GB. But Hamlin will be fine if it actually happens.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:31 am

skibrett15 wrote:I was actually hoping Grant would go to GB. But Hamlin will be fine if it actually happens.

Yeah, i was hoping to see grant in GB to, i heard he either had a visit with them, or was planning one before he went and signed with seattle.

Hamlin will be just fine though.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby eaglesfan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:41 am

Im hoping Hamlin to the Eagles
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby BGbootha » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:38 am

As a seahawks fan I have never really been a huge Hamlin fan. A couple of big hits is all people remember, but the guy was notorious for letting people get over the top of him.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby eman » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:18 pm

This is such an upgrade its not even funny. Were getting an underrated solid coverage S in exchange for inevitably ditching Hamlin, who can hit well but is absolutely awful at coverage. I really like the 2 major moves the Hawks made thus far.
Last edited by eman on Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby SeaWolf » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:45 pm

The Hawks have added another safety. Brian Russell from Cleveland has signed. Ken Hamlin has seen his last day as a Seahawk. Who will win that battle.

Seattle Seahawks: On Friday, a day after making Deon Grant, the third highest paid safety in football, the Seahawks reach an agreement with Browns safety Brian Russell. Terms on the contract weren't available, but Russell becomes the second new safety added to the roster in 24 hours. Russell accepted a five-year deal.

The additions of Grant and Russell means the Seahawks won't re-sign starter Ken Hamlin, a Pro Bowl alternate who is a free agent and recently visited the New Orleans Saints.

The 28-year-old Russell has played with the Vikings and Browns during his six-year NFL career. He was an undrafted acquisition of the Vikings in 2001 and had a nine interception season in 2002 in Minnesota.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:49 am

For the record, you heard it here first!

1) Deon Grant is so overpaid it makes me want to vomit.
2) Brian Russell is a joke.
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Football Talk