Top 10 RB Tandems for 2007 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Top 10 RB Tandems for 2007

Moderator: Football Moderators

Top 10 RB Tandems for 2007

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:57 pm

SportsIllustrated.com recently came out with what they view as the top RB tandems in football for next year. Here it is:

1. Deuce McAllister & Reggie Bush | Saints
The Saints have been lucky so far, because both players are bona fide stars but seem ok with taking a slightly reduced role in the offense. They complement each other well in the Saints offense, since McAllister likes to run inside and Bush does his best work on the edges.

2. Fred Taylor & Maurice Jones Drew | Jaguars
Taylor ran for 1,146 yards last year and Jones-Drew totaled 941 rushing yards and 436 receiving. Taylor just turned 31, but should have at least one more good season in him. Jones-Drew was outstanding as a rookie and should be even better in his second season.

3. Clinton Portis & Ladell Betts | Redskins
With Portis hampered by injuries last season, Betts emerged as a star, gaining 1,154 yards while averaging 4.7 yards per carry. Portis will be back this year and the Redskins are talking as if they plan to use both extensively.

4. Julius Jones & Marion Barber | Cowboys

The Cowboys are reportedly listening to trade offers for Jones so they can feature Barber more. If they can't deal Jones, they'll maintain a pretty potent 1-2 punch. Jones' work in the beginning of games has allowed Dallas to bring in Barber when the defense is a little tired. That strategy has worked well.

5. Thomas Jones & Leon Washington | Jets
The Jets dealt a second-round pick to the Bears for Jones and will likely make him a No.1 running back. But don't expect Washington to disappear. The shifty back ran for 650 yards in part-time duty last year and will be a nice complement to the more straight-forward Jones.

6. Travis Henry & Mike Bell | Broncos
After his big season in Tennessee in 2006, Henry could end up being the primary guy, but don't be surprised if the Broncos also give Bell some significant work next season. Bell rushed for 667 yards and eight touchdowns as a rookie and should help take the pressure of Henry.

7. DeShaun Foster & DeAngelo Williams | Panthers
Foster had 227 carries last year and Williams had 121. Look for Williams to get much more work in 2007. This backfield is a classic example of two rushers who will beneifit from sharing the load. Foster has been injury prone and Williams is on the small side.

8. Warrick Dunn & Jerious Norwood | Falcons
Dunn is one of the NFL's most underrated running backs and Norwood showed promising big-play ability his rookie season. Look for those two to carry most of the burden next year, and for the Falcons to draft a bigger back to help in short-yardage situations.

9. Lamont Jordan & Dominic Rhodes | Raiders
Rhodes leaves the Super Bowl champion Colts to join Jordan on a Raiders offense that scored just 168 points last year. The duo should help improve the running game. Jordan's 2006 campaign was cut short by a knee injury and he should be more effective sharing carries than being the primary guy.

10. Brandon Jacobs & Reuben Droughns | Giants
Jacobs and Droughns could have an interesting training-camp battle for the starting job, but regardless of who wins, both backs will likely get plenty of touches next season. Droughns is much smaller than Jacobs, but he still runs tough inside. Both backs will stay fresher if they share carries.

I thought this was a pretty good list. Portis and Betts probably could've been moved up to #2 and Norwood and Dunn could have maybe moved up one or two places - but since the Atlanta offense is going to be drastically different next year I can see where they are coming from.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:00 pm

Is this fantasy wise or football wise?
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby treat24 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:01 pm

i bet tomlinson/turner outdoes them all!

some of those won't be tandems so i think you have to include tomlinson/turner, LJ/Bennett, and SJAX/whoeverthehelltheyrunwithSJAX
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:03 pm

treat24 wrote:i bet tomlinson/turner outdoes them all!

some of those won't be tandems so i think you have to include tomlinson/turner, LJ/Bennett, and SJAX/whoeverthehelltheyrunwithSJAX

LT and Turner seems more like a starter/backup situation to me then a tandem. That's the only reason I didn't say anything about them.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:04 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Is this fantasy wise or football wise?

They never really specified, so I'd assume that it's football wise.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby treat24 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:11 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:
treat24 wrote:i bet tomlinson/turner outdoes them all!

LT and Turner seems more like a starter/backup situation to me then a tandem. That's the only reason I didn't say anything about them.

oh i know, i just view several of these as starter/backup situations right now... there may be some "rumors" about them being committee or tandems. SI definately suggests that... but they just needed a "top ten" they couldn't say "here are the 7 tandems in order"
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:39 pm

The Broncos should be moved up, but other than that, good list.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:37 pm

LT and me would be the best tandem on that list.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:53 pm

is it still S-Jax and Stephan Davis?

and what is this about Norwood and Dun? I thought it was Norwood and Vick?
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Timbathia » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:53 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:The Broncos should be moved up, but other than that, good list.

At this stage I dont think it will be a committee, same as I dont think that Portis and Betts will be a committee.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk