Fins Looking to Trade Up? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fins Looking to Trade Up?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Fins Looking to Trade Up?

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:07 am

Fom PFT:

FINS FIXIN' TO MOVE UP?

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reports that the Dolphins might be bringing in quarterbacks JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn for pre-draft visits.

Though there's a chance (albeit slim) that Quinn will still be on the board when the Fins use the No. 9 overall pick, it's unlikely that Russell will fall that far.

Thus, Salguero suggests (and we agree) that Miami could be plotting a move up in round one.

There are rumors of talks between the Lions and other teams about the No. 2 overall pick, which Detroit currently owns. Indeed, we've caught wind of a trade that almost went down on Wednesday, which would have dropped Detroit deep into round one.

Under the trade value chart, the Fins would have to come up with 1,250 points in order to bridge the gap from No. 9 (which is worth 1,350 points) to No. 2 (which is worth 2,600 points). Alternatively, they'd be required to pony up an acceptable pack of players, possibly including quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

If healthy, Culpepper could be an intriguing fit in the Mike Martz offense. Some of Culpepper's best throws have come when he acts decisively in response to his first read. If Martz could get him to make quick decisions in a fast-paced offense, Culpepper might perform far better than when he stands in the pocket like a moose in the headlights.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Fins Looking to Trade Up?

Postby knapplc » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:10 am

deerayfan072 wrote:Fom PFT:

If healthy, Culpepper could be an intriguing fit in the Mike Martz offense. Some of Culpepper's best throws have come when he acts decisively in response to his first read. If Martz could get him to make quick decisions in a fast-paced offense, Culpepper might perform far better than when he stands in the pocket like a moose in the headlights.

I heartily agree here. CPepp could be very interesting with those WRs. Have to keep an eye on this one...
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:11 am

knapplc wrote:

I heartily agree here. CPepp could be very interesting with those WRs. Have to keep an eye on this one...

i just wonder if he will ever be healthy. He had a devastating knee injury that he tried to come back from too early and i think he re-injured it
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:13 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
knapplc wrote:

i just wonder if he will ever be healthy. He had a devastating knee injury that he tried to come back from too early and i think he re-injured it

That certainly is the key question. Plus he wouldn't exactly be moving into a division with slow defenses. If he's immobile he'd be a dead man in that division. However, if he can regain some mobility - and if Detroit can provide him with 4-5 seconds of protection (the other key question) - he could have a career year with those WRs.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:15 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
knapplc wrote:

Meaning this is the CPep we get....
he stands in the pocket like a moose in the headlights.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:15 am

knapplc wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
knapplc wrote:

That certainly is the key question. Plus he wouldn't exactly be moving into a division with slow defenses. If he's immobile he'd be a dead man in that division. However, if he can regain some mobility - and if Detroit can provide him with 4-5 seconds of protection (the other key question) - he could have a career year with those WRs.

Def agree, i guess DET has to think about do they gamble on those IF's. It would make sense to me b/c Rod could move down and grab defense like i think he wants and get a QB plus picks
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:48 am

I agree with that author. Culpepper would be an intriguing fit in that Detroit Martz offense.

Early last year, Culpepper made some pretty decent first reads and got rid of the ball quickly. Anyone remember Wes Welker averaging like 5 catches a game with those underneath routes? Chris Chambers down the sideline? Reminds me a lot of Williams and Furrey last year.

In the Martz O there really isn't time to think, you have a couple reads and you pick the best one, or you pull it down and try to make something happen. Culpepper's size and playmaking ability (if it returned) could help him to break out of some sacks and make time for Roy to get into single coverage for some big plays. I'm 100% under the belief that Culpepper would be more productive than Kitna in that o.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby moochman » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:49 pm

C Pep wouldn't work out in Detroit. For one thing he isn't an ex-Ram or Buc (sorry Lions inside humor, very poor like their team) and he would get pressured way too much in a Martz system. Martz believes that his receivers will be open before a pass rush can get to his QB and so doesn't protect the QB at all. Reality dictates that a pass rush will get to the QB from time to time and with no help a Martz QB gets sacked a ton. This leads to bad habits, like Kitan creating more turnovers than a backery, for example.

C Pep would have a hard time not reverting back to those annoying habits of fumbling and throwing to ball recklessly down field.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby beanoX3 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:31 pm

moochman wrote:C Pep wouldn't work out in Detroit. For one thing he isn't an ex-Ram or Buc (sorry Lions inside humor, very poor like their team) and he would get pressured way too much in a Martz system. Martz believes that his receivers will be open before a pass rush can get to his QB and so doesn't protect the QB at all. Reality dictates that a pass rush will get to the QB from time to time and with no help a Martz QB gets sacked a ton. This leads to bad habits, like Kitan creating more turnovers than a backery, for example.

C Pep would have a hard time not reverting back to those annoying habits of fumbling and throwing to ball recklessly down field.

I agree. Martz's system tends to leave the QB open to a lot of hits. Just look at how often Warner and Bulger got hit/sacked during his tenure with the Rams.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Football Talk