Why Overpay for Just OK? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to New York Giants

Why Overpay for Just OK?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Why Overpay for Just OK?

Postby madaslives911 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:37 am

Why overpay for just OK?
Mar 17, 2007

This off-season the Giants have let free agents come and go. Maybe that's the way GM Jerry Reese wants it. It doesn't appear that he's willing to pay for play. Maybe he's looking for inexperienced guys, maybe he's willing to take his chances in the draft. It's not a bad philosophy. After all, would you pay Kevin Curtis $9 million up front?. He has been productive - catching over 100 passes over the last 2 years - but I'm not sure Curtis will ever be a no.1 receiver, though Philadelphia is certainly paying him like one.

This is a year in which Tom Coughlin needs as much help as he can get. There are some holes, there is a lack of playmakers and Reese doesn't seem to be at a rush to fill those needs. I say be patient and see what Jerry comes up with in the draft.

He knows all too well that it's a good year for wide receivers, maybe not senior wide receivers, but underclassmen that have a lot of talent and a lot of speed. He also knows it's a good year for linebackers and with the 20th pick, the Giants will be in position to take one.

Jerry Reese is clearly pointing the Giants toward the draft to fill their needs.

I would think that they would like to have another playmaker on the field someone with speed from either position. It looks like the Giants will be able to fill both needs with their early picks, meaning linebacker first, receiver in the second round or receiver first and linebacker second. The Giants have Plaxico Burress, but Eli Manning needs another target.

Sinorice Moss I still think could be a very good player in the National Football League. Last year’s hamstring injury kept him out for most of the year and we didn't get to see his explosiveness and what he could do for the Giants in the slot. Not sure they can count on him contributing until he’s on the field.

Now I didn't count Armani Toomer as that dependable no. 2 because he's going to be 33 years old and he's coming off an injury. As professional as Toomer has been, one can only wonder if he can still do it.

I’d like to think he can, but with the receivers in this draft such as Robert Meachem from Tennessee who's 6-foot-2 and can run a 4.38 40-yard dash, or even New Brunswick native Dwayne Jarrett from Southern Cal, who is 6-foot-4 and 219 pounds with a terrific body. Jarrett doesn't have great speed; rather he’s more of a Burress-type player. But the talented Jersey kid would be hard for the Giants to pass up.

They can also look at Ted Ginn Jr., a dynamic wideout from Ohio St. Ginn is another speed guy who didn't workout in the combine, but everyone knows when that kid is on the field, good things will happen. Not as big - only 5-foot-11 - and not as strong - only about 178 pounds - but Ginn is another guy that you can put on the field for Manning who will catch passes.

To me, linebacker is a position that has suffered for years. When was the last time the Giants had a Pro Bowl outside linebacker? Congratulations to Antonio Pierce and his accolades this year, but that's in the middle. The Giants need a guy that can run, rush the passer and someone who is an intimidator on the field. They thought they was getting that in LaVar Arrington only it was 2-3 years too late.

There are some guys out there that might fit that bill, some undersized guys, maybe the next Jesse Armstead (where have you gone Jesse?) Jon Beason out of Miami could fit that bill. He’s undersized at 6-foot and 237 pounds, but he can run and he comes from a good defensive program.

They could be in position to draft Florida State’s Lawrence Timmons, an underclassman with tremendous upside. If Timmons is there, the junior, who's raw and inexperienced but has great athleticism, may be too good for the Giants to pass up.

I told you the Giants were going to get a pretty good player. In the past I wasn't too sure that they would pick a good player. It's Jerry’s turn now. He may have had a slow start in free agency - maybe he has his eyes set on 2008 - but he doesn't seem to want to overspend for mediocre players. He's looking for a star, a playmaker, and maybe he can find one in this year draft.
Visit My Sigs Gallery

2008 Champion - Cafeholics Anonymous
2008 Champion - No Press Allowed
madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to New York Giants