SportsCenter's On the Clock: Ravens - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Baltimore Ravens

SportsCenter's On the Clock: Ravens

Moderator: Football Moderators

SportsCenter's On the Clock: Ravens

Postby madaslives911 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:04 am

Over the next month, "SportsCenter" will put every NFL team "On The Clock." Scouts Inc. will break down each team and look at what questions still need answering.

----------------------------------
Baltimore had a very strong -- and sometimes dominating -- 2006 season, but a lot has changed with its roster since then. The Ravens also are an aging team that lacks a lot of depth. They were fortunate with injuries in 2006 and will need similar luck this year. That being said, the Ravens have a flat-out nasty defense that keeps them in just about every game. The Ravens have a veteran winner at quarterback, some offensive weapons and strong special teams. They are not going away easily, and if it were not for a simply awful playoff performance at home against the Colts, this team very well could have been hoisting the trophy in Miami instead of Indianapolis.

Key additions
The Ravens have yet to sign a prominent free agent from another team, but did trade for RB Willis McGahee, who was disgruntled in Buffalo. McGahee should be an excellent fit in Baltimore. McGahee is a more dynamic and explosive runner than his predecessor, Jamal Lewis. While McGahee has taken quite a pounding over the past few seasons and is becoming more and more of a durability concern, he still has fresher legs than Lewis. Baltimore needed more production from this position and it looks to have found it with McGahee. The Ravens were also wise to re-sign Musa Smith. When Smith is healthy -- which is rare -- he could provide a fine backup to McGahee and help lighten his load.

Key losses
Baltimore has had its share of key losses recently in free agency, but none was bigger than OLB Adalius Thomas. Former starting RT Tony Pashos isn't a household name to most fans, but he is a big, nasty run blocker who is coming into his own. Lewis is nowhere near the player he once was, and although it cost the Ravens some draft picks, they are now stronger at running back with McGahee instead of Lewis. The Falcons made FB Ovie Mughelli the highest-paid fullback in history. He will be missed without question in Baltimore's downhill rushing attack. DT Aubrayo Franklin is sure to see more playing time with his new team, San Francisco, than he did in his backup/rotational role with the Ravens. The depth he provided was valuable to the Ravens' great defense. G Edwin Mulitalo was also let go and will be difficult to replace.

Remaining questions
Baltimore now has a substantial list of positions that need attention, but most of them will have to be addressed in the draft. Starting CB Samari Rolle began to show his age and had a poor 2006 season. He is no longer starting material and the Ravens don't have a player on their roster to replace him with. The Ravens also need offensive line help with the loss of Pashos, Mulitalo and the possible retirement of star LT Jonathan Ogden. They will replace Thomas with Dan Cody and Jarret Johnson, whom they re-signed, but their linebacker depth is minimal. Adding a young quarterback and fullback in the middle rounds also makes a lot of sense.

Mock draft: Ravens
The Pick (No. 29 overall):
DE/OLB Charles Johnson, Georgia

Todd McShay: The Ravens' biggest needs exist at outside linebacker, offensive tackle and cornerback. Of those three spots, Johnson is the highest-rated prospect and he fits in the team's 3-4 defensive scheme.
Visit My Sigs Gallery

2008 Champion - Cafeholics Anonymous
2008 Champion - No Press Allowed
madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:40 am

pretty accurate writeup. ill be very interested to see how much losing AT is going to hurt us and how well mcgahee will do. time will tell. i think we need a tackle more than an OLB, but im probably the minority.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aerodan » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:40 pm

what do you think of drafting Troy Smith late in the first round? The Ravens need a young QB and he seems to be the perfect fit behind McNair for a couple years.
aerodan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BooksRnot4U » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:03 pm

If the ravens want Smith they can get him 3 rounds later
BooksRnot4U
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby aerodan » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:52 pm

you really think he will last that long? There are not alot of excellent QB's to chose from in this draft, and they always go before they should. I think they'd be lucky to get him in the 2nd.
aerodan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby aerodan » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:58 pm

IF the Ravens don't go with smith in Rd 1...who do you think would be available at that spot... CB? OL?
aerodan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:09 pm

i am pretty certain they will try to get blalock in the first round. i wouldnt be surprised to see them target a QB in the 2nd and a CB in the 3rd. smith in tyhe first isnt going to happen though..he is projected to go in about the third round.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BooksRnot4U » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:07 am

3rd round for smith

if you want a better QB go for Stanton in the 2nd or maybe 3rd, other needs that are more pressing IMO
BooksRnot4U
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PACKman1144 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:56 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:pretty accurate writeup. ill be very interested to see how much losing AT is going to hurt us and how well mcgahee will do. time will tell. i think we need a tackle more than an OLB, but im probably the minority.

I'm right there with ya D ;-D I think that line is a pressing need as it is getting real old real quick. Yeah it hurt losing AD but we still have plenty of talent spilling over on defense. That line could become a major liability very soon if we don't start bringing in some young talent there. I want to go OL in the first.

And if we truly want Smith, which I don't think would be a good idea... Anything earlier than the 3rd is moronic.
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Return to Baltimore Ravens