Falcons to trade Schaub to Houston - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Falcons to trade Schaub to Houston

Moderator: Football Moderators

Falcons to trade Schaub to Houston

Postby Kilroy » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:31 pm

From nfl.com:

Falcons to trade QB Schaub to Texans

By Adam Schefter
NFL Analyst

(March 21, 2007) -- A trade that has been speculated on for over a year is now completed.

By day's end, the Atlanta Falcons will trade backup quarterback Matt Schaub to the Houston Texans, according to NFL sources. The Texans will surrender a second-round draft pick, and there could be other compensation involved.

The trade has massive ramifications. The Texans have their quarterback of the future, which David Carr no longer is. The Falcons are reaffirming their faith in Michael Vick, who now also needs a new backup. And the Texans are out of the Brady Quinn derby, leaving the Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns, Minnesota Vikings and Miami Dolphins as possible landing spots.

The trade, once officially completed, validates the Falcons' commitment to Vick, whom new Atlanta head coach Bobby Petrino told the first time they met, "You're my guy."

Since then, Petrino and Vick have been working together closely on an almost daily basis, prepping for the coming season.

The Falcons, who quietly had been entertaining offers for Schaub this offseason, had tendered their backup quarterback a $2 million offer, meaning that any team that signed him to an offer sheet would have to surrender first- and third-round draft choices to the Falcons. Of course, the Falcons also could always trade Schaub, and that is the course of action the team has pursued.

The Texans will be acquiring a quarterback that has thrown only 161 career passes, 81 of which were completed, with six touchdown passes and six interceptions. But Schaub long has been considered a quarterback worthy of starting, and he was the top bargaining chip the Falcons have.

Now they've decided to cash it in.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:37 pm

wow. Somehow, i feel that Atlanta will end up regretting this decision.

Big question now is, where does david carr end up? I really believe that he was not the cause of Houston's problems, and could do well somewhere else.

I wonder what they will be asking for him

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby WessWackos » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:39 pm

Sounds like my dynasty team just got another starting QB. Albeit for the mighty Texans :(

How do you guys predict Schaub will do in Houston?
WessWackos
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:42 pm

WessWackos wrote:Sounds like my dynasty team just got another starting QB. Albeit for the mighty Texans :(

How do you guys predict Schaub will do in Houston?

it depends on the O Line. If they dont improve from last season, Schuab will spend as much time on his back as david carr did, and wont fair much better. If they block better, he could do well

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The Balanced Man » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:44 pm

I have a feeling Carr will be a draft day move.

Probably for a 3rd rounder.

Possibly to Cleveland.
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby killiansjmd » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:44 pm

J_rob_the_ Baller wrote:wow. Somehow, i feel that Atlanta will end up regretting this decision.

Big question now is, where does david carr end up? I really believe that he was not the cause of Houston's problems, and could do well somewhere else.

I agree Houston will be shopping Carr now once this trade is complete. I also never thought Carr was the problem in Houston. Their O-line has been horrible snce Day 1 of this franchise and they never provided adequate protection for Carr.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:55 pm

killiansjmd wrote:
J_rob_the_ Baller wrote:wow. Somehow, i feel that Atlanta will end up regretting this decision.

I agree Houston will be shopping Carr now once this trade is complete. I also never thought Carr was the problem in Houston. Their O-line has been horrible snce Day 1 of this franchise and they never provided adequate protection for Carr.

I think Minnesota will and should go after Carr. The Vikings feel that Tavaris Jackson can be the guy so they will give him a shot next year. However, they will need someone like Carr that they could fall back on should he not pan out. Obviously they have a shot to get Quinn in the draft, but that would completely rule out Jackson and would be admittance of the mistake to draft him in the first place - which in my mind, they would be unwillling to do.

IMO if they have a chance to draft Quinn 7th overall they will trade that pick to someone who really needs a QB, because it would have a lot of value to many teams and would stil allow the Vikings to grab a WR in the first round - which is after all, their most pressing need.
Last edited by jake_twothousandfive on Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kilroy » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:56 pm

Carr's problem now is that he's shellshocked from being sacked 1,392,785 times as QB of the Texans. It's in his head at this point. A change of scenery would likely benefit him quite a bit.

As to this trade it's a good deal for Houston, and I realize the Falcons are trying to get something for Schaub as opposed to his just walking as a FA (and a high 2nd rounder is something), but I dunno how much I like the idea of placing all their eggs in Mr. Mexico's basket.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby knapplc » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:05 pm

I find it absolutely mind-boggling that the Texans would even consider trading for another QB when they have never fixed their O-Line problem. What a joke of a front office!
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby thriftyrocker » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:07 pm

Does this mean Plummer is really retired?
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Football Talk