Falcons to trade Schaub to Houston - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Falcons to trade Schaub to Houston

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby robnestrick » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:10 pm

I truly don't understand how Schaub will be the savior for the Texans. They aren't a good team, with poor line play, one good WR, and an aging RB who just came over. You could put Dan Marino behind that line and it wouldn't matter.

Carr may or may not have something to offer another team. He played on a bad team, was sucked a gazillion times, but he at least got up and kept going. Every year was going to be the year that he "broke out" but its tough to do when defensive lineman were on him with less than two seconds gone.

The only passes they can throw with such poor line play are the short dink and dunks. I for one will not be the guy who overpays for Schaub, because really, what has he done? He was so good that ATL traded him and everyone bashes Vick. Obviously, Vick was a better QB than Schaub.

So, enjoy Schaub in Texas, he should be massacred by the third game when he has already been sacked 15 times, and people will begin to wonder, is it the QB or the line.. come on guys, we all know its the line...
robnestrick
Head Coach
Head Coach


Posts: 2020
Joined: 3 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Rush, New York

Postby BigBadBrawler » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:30 pm

robnestrick wrote:I truly don't understand how Schaub will be the savior for the Texans. They aren't a good team, with poor line play, one good WR, and an aging RB who just came over. You could put Dan Marino behind that line and it wouldn't matter.

Carr may or may not have something to offer another team. He played on a bad team, was sucked a gazillion times, but he at least got up and kept going. Every year was going to be the year that he "broke out" but its tough to do when defensive lineman were on him with less than two seconds gone.

The only passes they can throw with such poor line play are the short dink and dunks. I for one will not be the guy who overpays for Schaub, because really, what has he done? He was so good that ATL traded him and everyone bashes Vick. Obviously, Vick was a better QB than Schaub.

So, enjoy Schaub in Texas, he should be massacred by the third game when he has already been sacked 15 times, and people will begin to wonder, is it the QB or the line.. come on guys, we all know its the line...


Well I think Marino might do alright. ;-) Think they can trade a couple draft picks for him? :-) But yeah, I do remember reading how HOU had to basically get rid of anything that was more than a 3 step drop from the offense because they're simply wasn't gonna be time to use any of those other plays. Whether it was Carr or the line (or probably a combination of both), that's pretty sick when you know ahead of time that you can't call a 5 or 7 step drop because you're QB's gonna be on his @$$ by that point already...
BigBadBrawler
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 6582
Joined: 1 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The largest Media Market in the country without an NFL Franchise

Postby beanoX3 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:34 pm

dream_017 wrote:I find it very funny that everyone is sticking up for Carr and Harrington did nothing right. They had very similar situations. Drafted 1 and 2. Both with bad offensive lines, young RB(DD/KJ), young WRs(AJ/Roy). The stats are:
David -- 75 starts -- 60% -- 59 TDs -- 65 INT
Joey -- 66 starts -- 55.2% -- 72 TDs -- 77 INT

I'm not saying Joey was a great QB but the difference in opinion on these guys really varies and I just don't see it.

Yea, I find the two had pretty similar situations too. The only thing I can think of, of why Carr gets a pass, is because Houston was an expansion team and expected to go through some troubles. And I suppose the unnaturally high sacked numbers probably evokes some sympathy at least.
There's no Matt Millen in Houston either. :-b


But just like Harrington, the best move for Carr would be to leave Houston IMO. Get far away and hope that a new city and coaching staff can fix your career. In any case, I don't expect the Texans to be significantly better with Schaub behind center instead of Carr. Like many have said, Houston's problems are not singular. Changing QBs is nothing more than a cosmetic change if the o-line isn't fixed.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5971
Joined: 14 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:35 pm

The thing that I come away with from reading this thread, actually two things are:

#1 The Houston O-line is terribly underrated

#2 David Carr is terribly overrated


Carr quite possibly has been the single worst QB in the NFL the past 3 years. People who are comparing him now to Joey Harrington are right to do so. That is not because Joey Harrington is decent and has taken an undue trashing in the press, oh no. Rather Carr hasn't taken his fair share of critisim from the press. His line gets so much blame it is ridiculous. It's like blaming the hand for getting itself burnt lighting a candle with no wax versus blaming the brain for trying to light the candle in the first place.

Harrington will be out of the NFL in 3 years and by then so will Carr. If you want a more detailed explanation behind why Carr sucks, go back and read my posts from two years ago.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 6427
Joined: 2 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jdogg_ffc » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:19 pm

From what I've seen the line is real bad.

They should have got Vick instead, they need a QB who can run VY comes to mind.

PS the Lion's need a QB who can run also, our line sucks too.
First the Shock, then the Pistons can the Lions be next?

Well maybe next yr.

PS I didn't lose a paper bag challenge but somehow as a Lion's fan it just feels right.
jdogg_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1090
Joined: 9 Oct 2002
Home Cafe: Football
Location: G.R. Mi.

Postby dgan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:38 pm

Kensat30 wrote:The thing that I come away with from reading this thread, actually two things are:

#1 The Houston O-line is terribly underrated

#2 David Carr is terribly overrated


Carr quite possibly has been the single worst QB in the NFL the past 3 years. People who are comparing him now to Joey Harrington are right to do so. That is not because Joey Harrington is decent and has taken an undue trashing in the press, oh no. Rather Carr hasn't taken his fair share of critisim from the press. His line gets so much blame it is ridiculous. It's like blaming the hand for getting itself burnt lighting a candle with no wax versus blaming the brain for trying to light the candle in the first place.

Harrington will be out of the NFL in 3 years and by then so will Carr. If you want a more detailed explanation behind why Carr sucks, go back and read my posts from two years ago.


Do you have anything factual that would back up your opinion here? The Texans consistently blow blocking assignments, blitz pickups, and just basically get run over. They also have not had anything more than an average running game. In what way do you contend that the line is underrated?

I think the consensus here is that Carr has never had an opportunity to improve. No one is saying he's the second coming...we're just saying that after getting drilled year after year (including I think 80+ sacks his rookie year), it is in his head now. He needs a new setting where he can start over and grow as a quarterback. He still plays like a rookie because his team has never allowed him to progress past that point.

And for the record, I do say the same thing about Harrington, though with less conviction because his team wasn't quite as bad as Carr's.
Image
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 2941
Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The frozen tundra of Lambeau Field

Postby TommyZND » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:38 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:
TommyZND wrote:And dream_017, How many complete bust like Ryan Leaf have been in the last 10 years? Very few, and Matt Schaub has done nothing to be in the same sentence as him.

There have been many complete busts at QB in the last ten years. 1st round QBs bust all the time, Schaub wasn't taken until the end of the third round. QB prospects probably bust more then any other position in football. Saying that it doesn't happen very often, just isn't very accurate IMO.


IMHO this is getting a little off topic, but most of those QB's who were busts may have been prevented. It usually works alot better if you give your QB a year in the league before starting him he does better. Tim Couch will never get rid of the habit of throwing off of his back foot because he was instantly started and instantly sacked. Akili Smith was fed to the wolves his rookie year and has been a nervous wreck in the pocket ever since. I think if they had been given a year to see the dramatic change from college to NFL they would have been much better QB's. And Matt Schaub has been given much more then a year....
Image
MY TEAMS:
NCAA- Fighting Irish
NFL- Steelers
MLB- Pirates
NBA- Knicks
TommyZND
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 213
Joined: 16 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Popcynical » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:48 am

:-D :-D :-D ;-D ;-D ;-D

((Owns AJ in his dynasty league))
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 3076
Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:10 am

Trade was horrible for Houston (WAY too many high picks) and that contract is even worse. :-t :-?
Image

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 17169
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 12 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New York State Of Mind: 18-1

Postby Kilroy » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:18 am

Popcynical wrote::-D :-D :-D ;-D ;-D ;-D

((Owns AJ in his dynasty league))


I really don't think this trade affects AJ's value much, if at all. I'd be more concerned about who Houston is going to line up as the #2 WR now that Moulds is gone.
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 7:47 hours
(and 42 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact