Falcons to trade Schaub to Houston - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Falcons to trade Schaub to Houston

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Keyser_WV » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:29 pm

dgan wrote:Do you have anything factual that would back up your opinion here? The Texans consistently blow blocking assignments, blitz pickups, and just basically get run over. They also have not had anything more than an average running game. In what way do you contend that the line is underrated?

I think the consensus here is that Carr has never had an opportunity to improve. No one is saying he's the second coming...we're just saying that after getting drilled year after year (including I think 80+ sacks his rookie year), it is in his head now. He needs a new setting where he can start over and grow as a quarterback. He still plays like a rookie because his team has never allowed him to progress past that point.

Not convinced by the Jaworski breakdown?

How about Brad Childress:

Some have thought David Carr might be on the Vikings radar. But coach Brad Childress was candid in his assessment of Carr, the top overall pick in the 2002 draft. "I always struggled with where his release came from," Childress said. "It's kind of a drop-down, three-quarter, not overhand, over the top release. Just in the tape I've watched [since] he's been in the league, he can make some of the throws, he can't make all the throws. He gets some balls batted [down] at the line of scrimmage just because of where that ball comes from. ... "He's a smart guy, he's a decent athlete but when you're buying a quarterback at this level and you kick the tires, there shouldn't be a lot of things that you're trying to straighten out."

The guy is a backup. Nothing more.
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby dgan » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:52 pm

Keyser_WV wrote:
dgan wrote:Do you have anything factual that would back up your opinion here? The Texans consistently blow blocking assignments, blitz pickups, and just basically get run over. They also have not had anything more than an average running game. In what way do you contend that the line is underrated?

I think the consensus here is that Carr has never had an opportunity to improve. No one is saying he's the second coming...we're just saying that after getting drilled year after year (including I think 80+ sacks his rookie year), it is in his head now. He needs a new setting where he can start over and grow as a quarterback. He still plays like a rookie because his team has never allowed him to progress past that point.

Not convinced by the Jaworski breakdown?

How about Brad Childress:

Some have thought David Carr might be on the Vikings radar. But coach Brad Childress was candid in his assessment of Carr, the top overall pick in the 2002 draft. "I always struggled with where his release came from," Childress said. "It's kind of a drop-down, three-quarter, not overhand, over the top release. Just in the tape I've watched [since] he's been in the league, he can make some of the throws, he can't make all the throws. He gets some balls batted [down] at the line of scrimmage just because of where that ball comes from. ... "He's a smart guy, he's a decent athlete but when you're buying a quarterback at this level and you kick the tires, there shouldn't be a lot of things that you're trying to straighten out."

The guy is a backup. Nothing more.

I guess Childress would also pass on Vince Young since that sounds like an identical scouting report of his when he was being drafted.

Carr hasn't been coached or put into a position to succeed...that's the problem. Has it gone to his head? Sure. Can it be corrected? Who knows, but I think he is worth putting on your roster as a backup for a discounted price.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Keyser_WV » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:35 am

dgan wrote:"I always struggled with where his release came from," Childress said. "It's kind of a drop-down, three-quarter, not overhand, over the top release. Just in the tape I've watched [since] he's been in the league, he can make some of the throws, he can't make all the throws. He gets some balls batted [down] at the line of scrimmage just because of where that ball comes from. ... "He's a smart guy, he's a decent athlete but when you're buying a quarterback at this level and you kick the tires, there shouldn't be a lot of things that you're trying to straighten out."I guess Childress would also pass on Vince Young since that sounds like an identical scouting report of his when he was being drafted.

Identical to Vince Young :-? ? Maybe the release part but everything else is the exact opposite. Everyone said Young was dumb but an exceptional athlete.

Sure Carr will be given a chance somewhere else. Nobody here said he wouldn't. What people like Dream, Kensat, and I are saying is that it was Carr and not the Texans line that was the problem.

We'll definately get a chance to see because he will get a shot at some point.

I am of the belief that he will be a career backup after he fails in his next starting job.
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby dgan » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:07 pm

Keyser_WV wrote:
dgan wrote:"I always struggled with where his release came from," Childress said. "It's kind of a drop-down, three-quarter, not overhand, over the top release. Just in the tape I've watched [since] he's been in the league, he can make some of the throws, he can't make all the throws. He gets some balls batted [down] at the line of scrimmage just because of where that ball comes from. ... "He's a smart guy, he's a decent athlete but when you're buying a quarterback at this level and you kick the tires, there shouldn't be a lot of things that you're trying to straighten out."I guess Childress would also pass on Vince Young since that sounds like an identical scouting report of his when he was being drafted.

Identical to Vince Young :-? ? Maybe the release part but everything else is the exact opposite. Everyone said Young was dumb but an exceptional athlete.

Sure Carr will be given a chance somewhere else. Nobody here said he wouldn't. What people like Dream, Kensat, and I are saying is that it was Carr and not the Texans line that was the problem.

We'll definately get a chance to see because he will get a shot at some point.

I am of the belief that he will be a career backup after he fails in his next starting job.

I agree he'll fail if thrown into another starting job right away. My argument is that IF a team puts him on the bench behind a good QB and allows him time to get his head straight, he could be coached into the type of QB people thought he was going to be. I think the Carr vs. Oline argument is a self-fulfilling prophecy...it is because the Oline was so bad for so long, that it messed with his head and made him what he is today. Maybe the Oline is better than it was, but by that time it was too late.

I guess we'll find out.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Previous

Return to Football Talk