Deal to Bring QB Trent Green to Miami Dolphins - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Deal to Bring QB Trent Green to Miami Dolphins

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Thu May 24, 2007 11:35 am

Until Chiefs management decides to trade for Green, Herm has to assume they won't...
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dgan » Thu May 24, 2007 10:39 pm

I saw on NFL Live today that the Chiefs says they can keep Green and stay under the cap...this is not what I had understood before. I thought they had to cut him June 1st if he didn't restructure/take a pay cut.

Does anyone know for sure if the Chiefs can keep Green on the roster?
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Kensat30 » Thu May 24, 2007 11:14 pm

The way the Chief's have been pawning off players for picks this offseason, they would have to be downright stupid not to get what they can for Green while they still can. Either that or they are stubborn buttholes. Probably a combination of both.

Watch Edwards run the team into the ground for the next several years and then they are starting over from scratch again. That's what I would call justice.

Mod edit
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Metroid » Thu May 24, 2007 11:21 pm

Kensat30 wrote:The way the Chief's have been pawning off players for picks this offseason, they would have to be downright stupid not to get what they can for Green while they still can. Either that or they are stubborn buttholes. Probably a combination of both.

Watch Edwards run the team into the ground for the next several years and then they are starting over from scratch again. That's what I would call justice.

fixed that for ya, you may wanna also. :-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby dnyce18 » Fri May 25, 2007 2:02 am

Hey folks - thanks for the support of my first - controversial - first post. There's a lot of love in here (now stop it with the group intervention hugs and feel free to really have at me :-D ). I saw some training camp tape of C-Pep the other day and did not like what I saw. He looked just like he did last year - like a shadow of the scary athlete he used to be. I hate to think it, but I hope we are not watching, in real-time, the slow-motion retirement of a great quarterback and Florida son. Saddens me as I write.
On the Trent Green note, saw a bit on the NFL Network that briefly interviewed old Trent and he said talks had slowed but like others said, the Chiefs are looking for a 4 and Miami a 6 so maybe a 5. Looks like it might be a 5 and some money. Personally, I the Miami team with Trent at the helm for however long it takes to develop the 30-something? rookie.
dnyce18
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby dgan » Fri May 25, 2007 2:42 am

dnyce18 wrote:Hey folks - thanks for the support of my first - controversial - first post. There's a lot of love in here (now stop it with the group intervention hugs and feel free to really have at me :-D ). I saw some training camp tape of C-Pep the other day and did not like what I saw. He looked just like he did last year - like a shadow of the scary athlete he used to be. I hate to think it, but I hope we are not watching, in real-time, the slow-motion retirement of a great quarterback and Florida son. Saddens me as I write.
On the Trent Green note, saw a bit on the NFL Network that briefly interviewed old Trent and he said talks had slowed but like others said, the Chiefs are looking for a 4 and Miami a 6 so maybe a 5. Looks like it might be a 5 and some money. Personally, I the Miami team with Trent at the helm for however long it takes to develop the 30-something? rookie.

Alright, the gloves are off... :-b

Calling C-pep a "great quarterback" is giving him more credit than he deserves IMO. Most of his career involved chucking it up to Moss or indiscriminately running over defensive backs with his 270 lb frame, which ultimately led to this injury and his demise. He had one great season and a couple really good ones, but otherwise has been average and inconsistent. He is not a hard worker or particularly bright, which is probably why he has not been able to recover or compensate for his injury, and he is not a good leader.

Plus, he once was put on the spot during a PR speech and gave his really expensive gold necklace to a handicap kid...once the cameras were off, he asked for it back and gave the kid an autographed jersey or something. Niiice.

C-pep was alright for fantasy leaguers, but as an NFL QB, he was anything but great. Could have been great, but wasn't.

As for Green and Miami...I sort of agree with you. I think he could do surprisingly well and get some production out of Chambers, Brown and company. But this team just frankly isn't very good and in a tough division...I don't think a .500 season is a possibility with or without Green.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Deathwarmedover » Fri May 25, 2007 9:02 am

From SI.com

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- The agent for quarterback Trent Green said Thursday the Miami Dolphins have indicated "some flexibility" in their offer to Kansas City, but that he can't get the Chiefs to respond.

A Chiefs spokesman said later, however, that the Dolphins remain inflexible in offering only a supplemental sixth-round draft pick for the two-time Pro Bowl quarterback. The Chiefs are believed to be asking for a fourth-rounder.

"Last Friday I made a call to the Chiefs to let them know I thought there was some flexibility (on Miami's end), that we discussed what that might be, and if they were interested that I would carry that back to the Dolphins and see if we could put something together," agent Jim Steiner told The Associated Press on Thursday.

"And I've yet to get an answer from the Chiefs."

But Chiefs spokesman Bob Moore said the Dolphins had not budged.

"Miami's made no offer. The last offer they made was a sixth-round pick," Moore said. "It has nothing to do with Jim Steiner. Miami hasn't changed anything. We haven't talked to Miami in weeks. Miami has to cut the deal. Miami has to call the Chiefs. If Miami's interested, they can call Denny (Thum, Chiefs' executive vice president)."

Green turns 37 in July and is due $7.2 million if he stays with Kansas City this year. He asked permission to seek a trade when coach Herm Edwards said he wanted to reduce the overall age of the roster and indicated second-year man Brodie Croyle would be given every opportunity to win the job.

Steiner and Green have negotiated a contract with Miami, but the deal has been held up while the two sides argue over compensation.

Although Edwards said this week that Green would be given the same chance as everyone else to compete for the starting position, Green believes he would be at a disadvantage because of his age and salary.

"I talked to Denny Thum on Monday," Steiner said. "But I've placed calls to them on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and haven't heard back yet. So I don't know where they stand."

Chiefs General Manager Carl Peterson is in Scotland, where his daughter is about to give birth. Steiner said he did not know why the Chiefs were not responding.

"The mysterious thing now is the lack of communication. I think the communication process needs to continue for anything to happen," Steiner said. "The whole thing is very mysterious."

Steiner declined to say how the Dolphins had modified their offer.

He also denied that the Dolphins were losing interest in Green, whose play declined last year after he came back from a severe concussion.

"That's propaganda that the Chiefs are offering," he said. "A deal will get done eventually. The timing is something we can't predict."
Deathwarmedover
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby stomperrob » Fri May 25, 2007 1:09 pm

Dolphins have modified the offer by making the 6th round pick conditional, otherwise they're not budging from a 6th rounder and will sit and wait for KC to drop Green:

Posted on Fri, May. 25, 2007
DOLPHINS NOTEBOOK

Green's agent offers to mediate

BY JEFF DARLINGTON
mailto:jdarlington@MiamiHerald.com

The Dolphins aren't calling the Chiefs. The Chiefs aren't calling the Dolphins. And now, even attempts by quarterback Trent Green's agent to serve as a mediator have failed.

Indeed, this figurative game of chess remains as boring and strategic as the real thing. Maybe agent Jim Steiner's latest comments will help spice up talks once more.

Steiner said Thursday night he believes the Dolphins are willing to slightly increase the worth of their offer, turning the sixth-round pick on the table into a conditional pick.

''I think they'd be willing to conditionalize the sixth-round pick,'' said Steiner, who spoke to the Dolphins as recently as Thursday afternoon. ``They could make it higher based on performance [during the 2007 season].''

Steiner would not elaborate on specific conditions -- and he would not say what the more valuable pick would be -- but his recent conversations with Miami were enough to convince him of the possibility.

Problem is, the Dolphins don't feel the need to call the Chiefs, since they are just as content waiting for Green to be released. And the Chiefs believe Miami general manager Randy Mueller should be the one to increase the offer -- not Steiner.

That's why Steiner's attempts to serve as the mediator have fallen on deaf ears.

''Miami's made no offer,'' Chiefs representative Bob Moore told The AP on Thursday. ``The last offer they made was a sixth-round pick. It has nothing to do with Jim Steiner. Miami hasn't changed anything. We haven't talked to Miami in weeks. Miami has to cut the deal. Miami has to call the Chiefs.

``If Miami's interested, they can call Denny [ Thum, Chiefs executive vice president].''

But since Mueller is just as content waiting until the Chiefs are forced to cut him, he doesn't necessarily see a need to pick up the phone.

So since both teams remain stubborn in their stance, Steiner said he believes his ability to communicate is more important than the Chiefs are suggesting.

''I think it does matter,'' said Steiner, who added a deal eventually will get done. ``I think I can help communicate a message. If we can get some response to what I'm communicating, it will be a lot easier to get this thing done.''

source:
http://www.miamiherald.com/588/story/118121.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby eaglesfan » Fri May 25, 2007 1:52 pm

I don't get the holdup.....is it just for a 6th round pick?
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby dnyce18 » Sat May 26, 2007 7:10 am

dgan wrote: (In response to dnyce18, my, comment) ...Calling C-pep a "great quarterback" is giving him more credit than he deserves IMO. Most of his career involved chucking it up to Moss or indiscriminately running over defensive backs with his 270 lb frame, which ultimately led to this injury and his demise. He had one great season and a couple really good ones, but otherwise has been average and inconsistent. He is not a hard worker or particularly bright, which is probably why he has not been able to recover or compensate for his injury, and he is not a good leader.

Plus, he once was put on the spot during a PR speech and gave his really expensive gold necklace to a handicap kid...once the cameras were off, he asked for it back and gave the kid an autographed jersey or something. Niiice.

C-pep was alright for fantasy leaguers, but as an NFL QB, he was anything but great. Could have been great, but wasn't....

I'd like this opportunity to pull a Marvin Lewis and say that I regret the way my exact words did not reflect my thoughts and I in no way meant what my words sounded like I meant - to the general public - about my opinions, about the actions of other players, teams, organizations :-o ...
I should have said that I hope we are not watching the demise of career and quarterback that has clearly showed the potential for more consistent greatness. He has had very good seasons and some great flashes. It is my opinion that if a player shows great potential then he has it in him to be great consistently in the future.
We all try to mitigate the success he had in the past because of what we consider to be circumstances that were optimal (eg. a dominant Randy Moss, etc.). However, I do not believe that an NFL quarterback stumbles into that type of success without much credit to himself. Sure, he is attackable, vulnerable and maybe not Peyton Manning, but health permitting, it is not a stretch to think that he could have had stellar career. Then again, so do tons of players...
Wrapping it up and on an indirectly related topic - why is everybody head over heels about Jamarcus Russell (a similarly-sized and similarly talented quarterback as C-Pep with much less offensive talent surrounding him). I know hope is the gas that fuels NFL teams but there is currently no evidence to suggest that there is any more in Oakland's tank this year as compared to last.
dnyce18
Monday Morning Quarterback

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk