Deal to Bring QB Trent Green to Miami Dolphins - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Deal to Bring QB Trent Green to Miami Dolphins

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby JStein » Sat May 26, 2007 9:48 am

Cummon - ever since Herm came along, it seems like personnel management at Kansas City just took a nose dive. I'm not saying that Dick Vermeil was ever a master personnel man (Carl Peterson over-rode him many times, like with Larry Johnson), but this is just pathetic. You're dealing with a very respected, hard-working quarterback who has asked very kindly to be traded. And what does Herm/Peterson do? They dangle his carrot out in front of the only team who will trade for him and ask for the world. Sure, sixth round pick is low for a pro-bowl one year removed. But granted, he's old, he's nowhere near the offensively deadly QB that Saunders used to perfection, and he's coming off a rather serious injury.

I'm really questioning this. Maybe it's time for Schottenheimer's second run as a Chief, with chief personnel powers?
JStein
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby VHawk15 » Tue May 29, 2007 12:04 am

So are the Chiefs really that content with Croyle? Seems like he was injured for the bulk of his college career.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby stomperrob » Thu May 31, 2007 1:48 pm

Still no movement - apparently rumors are starting to fly that the Falcons are now interested in Green as likelihood of Vick being suspended increases!

Posted on Wed, May. 30

Green sees little progress on trade

By JASON KING
The Kansas City Star

Quarterback Trent Green said his agent, Jim Steiner, spoke with Chiefs executive vice president Denny Thum over the weekend about a possible trade to Miami. Green said no progress has been made.

“There has been some communication,” Green said. “At least they returned the call and are trying to move forward.”

Green said he still felt strongly that he would no longer be a Chief by the time training camp opens in late July. Asked if he thought the Chiefs would make him the starter if he were the best candidate, Green said: “I’d like to think that’s the truth. For a certain amount of time that would be the case. But I do know that at some point in time Brodie (Croyle) is going to play. They want him to get reps. They’ve made that very clear.”

One popular theory Wednesday was that Green could end up in Atlanta, where the Falcons are unsure about the future of starter Michael Vick.

“That’s the national speculation,” Green said, “but I haven’t received any word from them and as far as I know my agent hasn’t either. That’s just the speculation because of what’s happened here the last few weeks and the situation that’s unfolded in Michael Vick’s life.”

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Munboy » Thu May 31, 2007 1:57 pm

KC should just dump Green for whatever and get it over with. All this bickering is silly, and KC players have admitted that it is a bit of a distraction to have Green there taking snaps and to see what the organization is doing to one of their faces of the team for the past several year. :-t
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby spodog » Thu May 31, 2007 3:04 pm

Bob Moore can say that all the Dolphins need to do is pick up the phone and call Denny Thum, but the ultimate deal has to cross Carl Petersen's desk.

If history is a guide, Peterson will not mind letting this thing grind on until deep into training camp, as he feels he has a hand to play and he is going to play it to the end, regardless of the impact on the Chiefs offseason program.

To Peterson, it is more about winning the personal negotiation (as he sees it) then it is about finding a workable solution that is good for Green, Miami and the Chiefs overall.

He doesn't consider a 6th round pick "winning", and I doubt that he will consider a conditional 6th round pick that could move to a 5th winning either.

I've negotiated with people like this before. Miami's best shot is to back away and start to bring in other QB's, since Culpepper looks to be damaged goods.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Dolphins sort of up Green offer ...

Postby mrblitz » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:08 pm

06/02 Chiefs: Dolphins sort of up Green offer
Source: Fanball
The Dolphins have upped their offer to the Chiefs for Trent Green. A sixth-round pick had been on the table, but the Dolphins are willing to make it a fifth-rounder if Green meets certain incentives next season, according to the KC Star.

Our View
Considering the Chiefs have been looking for a fourth-round pick, the new offer isn't likely to make them jump.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby maddog60 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:23 pm

Considering Green is no better than Huard at this point, and they drafted Croyle in the first day for a reason I figure, take the offer and run. Its not going to get better, and Green isn't winning KC a superbowl.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby smackthefirst » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:37 pm

maddog60 wrote:Considering Green is no better than Huard at this point, and they drafted Croyle in the first day for a reason I figure, take the offer and run. Its not going to get better, and Green isn't winning KC a superbowl.

Agreed. KC needs to stop thinking they are going to win this and get a 4th for Green. Earlier I heard reports KC couldn't afford to resign Green, but now reports are out there that they may be able to afford him. Regardless, Green has not intention of playing for KC next year. As I see it, KC has the following options. One, they trade Green now and get something for him. Two, they don't trade him and don't sign him and KC gets nothing for him. Three, KC manages to afford him and Green is furious. It's already becoming clear that KC hopes to have Croyle as their starter, so they end up wasting money on Green to have hit sit the bench and Green would obviously not be happy about this. Four, KC affords Green and he retires.

So as I can tell, there's pretty much zero chance Green takes a snap for KC next year. If that's the case, why on Earth would KC not move him now? Everyone in the NFL knows their situation and KC doesn't have the upper hand on any other team but yet they are acting like they do.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby DraftDodger » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:32 am

smackthefirst wrote:So as I can tell, there's pretty much zero chance Green takes a snap for KC next year. If that's the case, why on Earth would KC not move him now? Everyone in the NFL knows their situation and KC doesn't have the upper hand on any other team but yet they are acting like they do.

Do you really think Miami wants Lemon or any of their other roster QBs under center? Neither does KC. Green is worth the asking price. KC may take this offer because they will look bad if they don't, but if they continue to sit tight the offer will get better.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby kyguy78 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:12 am

Yeah, I think KC is being smart by not moving Green just yet. Miami's QB situation is scary and as training camp gets closer and closer, they're going to be more and more needy for Green to get into camp.

"Just when you think you know the answers, I change the questions!"
kyguy78
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk