Texans May Be Forced to Cut DAVID CARR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Texans May Be Forced to Cut DAVID CARR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby bdrotoronto » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:00 pm

robnestrick wrote:Not a bad QB draft.. bad teams drafting QBs. Houston overpaid for a guy that has little NFL experience. He will get sacked just like Carr did, he'll fumble just like Carr did, and he'll lose just like Carr did..

Wait a minute.. the top 10 QB's drafted that year were:

1. David Carr
2. Joey Harrington
3. Patrick Ramsey
4. Josh McCown
5. David Garrard
6. Rohan Davey
7. Randy Fasani
8. Kurt Kittner
9. Brandon Doman
10. Craig Nall

I think you can objectively say that was pretty bad.. :-? :-o Five years later there literally may not be a single starter among them..

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/years/2002
bdrotoronto
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby madaslives911 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:08 am

Flux wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:They just announced Schaub as the starter for next year! 8-o

Yikes...what a turnaround for the Texans. I really don't think Carr was that bad...he's never had much of a chance to prove himself thanks to getting sacked every other down.

I wonder where he'll end up if he gets cut...plenty of teams who still need a good starting QB. Problem is that most of those teams also have cruddy lines... :-o

I think Carr is very servicable in the right offense. He doesnt have a huge arm though, and that will hurt him.

MIN could be a landing spot, but they have more of a "go deep" offense and I dont know if he would fair any better there. CLE maybe?

Not to MIN after reports state that Brad Childress trashed him on the radio Thursday. O:-) Count the Dolphins out too.

From Rotoworld:
The Dolphins have reportedly not expressed interest in David Carr.

NFL Network called Minnesota the most likely landing spot for Carr, but we doubt the Vikes have any interest after coach Brad Childress trashed him on the radio Thursday. At this point, Carr looks likely to be released.

Source: Houston Chronicle
Carr destined to go elsewhere thanks to signing
If Texans can't make trade, QB will be released

By JOHN McCLAIN
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

If general manager Rick Smith is unable to trade quarterback David Carr, the Texans will release him.

Carr could be released or traded before the weekend is over. Neither side wants to drag it out.

"David's done right by us, and we want to do right by him," Texans owner Bob McNair said Thursday.

Coach Gary Kubiak went through a similar experience when he was the offensive coordinator at Denver. Brian Griese was the heir apparent to John Elway, but when Griese struggled and Kubiak and head coach Mike Shanahan thought he needed a change of scenery, the Broncos dumped Griese and acquired Jake Plummer.

"And Brian's still playing in this league," Kubiak said about Griese, the backup quarterback at Chicago.

Kubiak coached Carr for one season, and the Texans improved to 6-10 from 2-14. But Kubiak and Smith believe Carr needs a change of scenery.

"David did everything I asked him to do," Kubiak said. "He worked hard. I have nothing but good things to say about him. We appreciate everything David's done for this organization. He's going to be fine."

The NFL spring meetings start Sunday in Phoenix. The Texans would like to move on, and Carr would like to know where his new home will be.

Several teams are interested in signing Carr, but they don't want to surrender a draft pick. Nor do they want to take on his base salaries of $5.5 million this year and $6 million next year.

Minnesota, Oakland and Miami are possibilities, even though one wouldn't know the Vikings are interested based on what coach Brad Childress told their flagship radio station, KFAN in Minneapolis.

Childress told the station the Vikings aren't interested in trading for Carr, and he explained why.

"I always struggled with where his release came from," Childress said. "It's kind of a drop-down, three-quarter, not overhand, over-the-top release.

"Just in the tape I've watched in the (five) years he's been in the league, he can make some of the throws, (but) he can't make all the throws. He gets some balls batted at the line of scrimmage just because of where that ball comes from.

"(It's) a little more difficult to throw in-the-seam throws because it doesn't come from over the top. He can't get a ball to get out of his hand, get up and get down.

"He's a smart guy; he's a decent athlete. But when you're buying a quarterback at this level and you kick the tires, there shouldn't be a lot of things that you're trying to straighten out. You pick a Carr, you pick a quarterback because you like all the things about him. ... You don't want to feel like there are any perceived flaws."

At their news conference Thursday introducing Carr's replacement, Matt Schaub, the Texans said publicly for the first time that Carr would not return.

"David is a class guy who's been an outstanding role model for us," McNair said. "I'm disappointed that he didn't have the success on the field like we all hoped he would."

Before the Texans could make the change at their most important position, McNair had to give the go-ahead.

"This has been very difficult," McNair said about the Carr decision. "David's meant a lot to this franchise. I'm hoping a new environment will work out well for him."
Visit My Sigs Gallery

2008 Champion - Cafeholics Anonymous
2008 Champion - No Press Allowed
madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby madaslives911 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:41 am

Latest Update on David Carr:

The Vikings informed the agent for David Carr that they aren't interested in the former Texan quarterback.

Kicking a man when's down. Minnesota says they are set on Tarvaris Jackson and Brooks Bollinger competing for the starting job, although Brady Quinn remains a possibility. Oakland and Miami seem to be the two best spots for Carr.

poor Carr. :-/
Visit My Sigs Gallery

madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:00 am

madaslives911 wrote:Latest Update on David Carr:

The Vikings informed the agent for David Carr that they aren't interested in the former Texan quarterback.

Kicking a man when's down. Minnesota says they are set on Tarvaris Jackson and Brooks Bollinger competing for the starting job, although Brady Quinn remains a possibility. Oakland and Miami seem to be the two best spots for Carr.

poor Carr. :-/

it is weird but i do feel bad for carr but could care less about joey. there is a ton of brady quinn buzz around minnesota but nobody seems to want russell (probably because he reminds us of cpepp). I'm sure that dollars to donuts Carr'll find a backup spot.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby TommyZND » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:56 am

espn insider rumor central:
Dolphins Carr shopping
<Mar. 23> The Texans released Carr on Friday, possibly paving the way for the 27-year-old quarterback to head to Miami. The Dolphins spent part of Thursday speaking with the Texans about a trade for Carr, according to the Miami Herald. Carr became expendable in Houston when the team traded for QB Matt Schaub on Wednesday.
The Raiders and Vikings have also shown interest in Carr, according to the newspaper.

Carr, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2002 draft, is a career 60 percent passer. His best season came in 2004, when he threw for 3,531 yards with 16 touchdowns and 14 interceptions (83.5 QB rating).
MY TEAMS:
NCAA- Fighting Irish
NFL- Steelers
MLB- Pirates
NBA- Knicks
TommyZND
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

What they Say About Carr

Postby madaslives911 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:55 am

Move was Overdue, Pastorini Says

"To tell you the truth," said another former Oiler, Dan Pastorini, the only quarterback in Houston history to lead teams to the brink of the Super Bowl, which he did in 1978 and 1979. "I'm surprised it took them as long as it did. I was really pulling for Carr, but it's a sad reality of the game. He's a great kid, but you have to deliver in the NFL.

"A lot of what happened to him was his fault. He struggled with his mechanics and not picking things up. He has that sidearm delivery, and he had more balls batted down than any quarterback I've seen."

"Leadership is the most important thing in the world," Pastorini said. "The quarterback has to go out of his way to build camaraderie with his teammates. He has to make an effort, to sacrifice, to find out what they want and what they need. The quarterback has to spend time with them after practice in the regular season and after practice in training camp. He's got to know that when he steps into the huddle there are 11 minds thinking the same thing."

"He's been hit so much," said Pastorini, who knows a good bit about the subject because he was similarly tortured at the outset of his career, "I think he's damaged goods."

"If you see signs of a guy getting better year to year that's one thing. But he didn't. In some games, yes, he looked like a legitimate NFL quarterback. But he didn't do it in enough games. Most quarterbacks find certain things — special plays, a particular receiver — to fall back on when they need to. David never really established any of that."

"At the end of the day, David just didn't show enough in all the areas for Gary (Kubiak) to have justified hitching his wagon to him."

"Man," Pastorini said, "to think we could have had one of them ... But I hope the Texans have turned the corner. I want to see them win. What (the Oilers) experienced in 1978 and 1979 was worth all the injuries, pain and losses I had. I wouldn't trade those two seasons for anything.

"This (Carr's release) should have happened a long time ago. When (Sage) Rosenfels got to play, he showed a lot of promise. And I like Schaub's mechanics a lot better than I liked Carr's. But he's got to prove himself."

Something the man Schaub supplants never was able to do.

"Carr got sacked so much and (the Texans) committed so many blunders that he just didn't get any better," Moon said. "Watching him last season you could tell he's lost a lot of confidence. He needs a change of scenery. I think a new environment will do him good."
Visit My Sigs Gallery

madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Football Talk