Chiefs release Sammy Knight - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Chiefs release Sammy Knight

Moderator: Football Moderators

Chiefs release Sammy Knight

Postby sox 06 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:17 pm

Ten-year veteran strong safety Sammy Knight, a one-time Pro Bowl performer who ranks third in interceptions among active players, was released by the Kansas City Chiefs on Wednesday, ESPN.com has learned.

The release came after the sides could not agree on a reworked contract.

Knight, 31, becomes an unrestricted free agent and figures to draw considerable interest from other teams, even in a market where more than two dozen safeties remain unsigned. One of the league's top ballhawks in his prime, Knight probably has lost a step over the past couple of seasons, but he remained productive in 2006.

In 16 games last season, all starts, Knight posted 83 tackles, two sacks, one interception and three passes defended.

Knight's departure takes away experience and leadership at safety but allows Kansas City to move younger players, like second-year veterans Bernard Pollard and Jarrad Page, up the depth chart at the position. Pollard, A second-round draft choice in 2006 and a physical defender who performed well as a situational player in his rookie year, is expected to take over as the starter.

Knight was scheduled to have a base salary of $2 million in 2007, but the sides could not come to an accommodation that met their mutual needs. His base salaries for subsequent seasons were $1.75 million for 2008 and $1.5 million in 2009.

In 10 seasons, Knight has 939 tackles, 38 interceptions, 43 passes defended, nine sacks, 12 forced fumbles and 13 fumble recoveries. He has appeared in 158 games.

Originally signed by the New Orleans Saints as an undrafted free agent in 1997, the former Southern California standout began his career as a special teams player, but he quickly emerged as one of the NFL's premier playmakers at safety.

With an uncanny knack for authoring the timely takeaway, Knight has registered five or more interceptions in five different seasons. He has four interception returns for touchdowns.

The Chiefs also released offensive tackle Kyle Turley on Wednesday, and he will consider retirement. Turley returned to the NFL in 2006 after missing the previous two seasons, but he appeared in only seven games.

Turley, 31, started in all but one of 96 games with New Orleans (1998-2002) and St. Louis (2003) at the outset of his career, but he then was sidelined for two years by back problems.

LINK
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Flux » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:30 pm

Wow, Knights salaries werent that ridiculous to absorb, Im surprised they let him go.

It was obvious that Turley couldnt handle the o-line anymore, at least at his current size, so that one wasnt surprising.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:43 pm

Flux wrote:Wow, Knights salaries werent that ridiculous to absorb, Im surprised they let him go.

It was obvious that Turley couldnt handle the o-line anymore, at least at his current size, so that one wasnt surprising.

c'mon dan snyder. now that archuletta is gone, i'd like to see the mighty midget over pay for sammy. ;-D
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:52 pm

This hurts. Not only does it seem like Knight was still producing, worth the money, but only two years ago they gave up a 2nd rounder to acquire Knight. Yet another reason this team is still falling, bad management.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby logan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:37 pm

pollard and page are at this point together are better than knight and cost probably about the same. they both showed they could play last year coming up with some big plays.there is still a lot of veteran leadership on the defense and in the secondary that it's really not all that big of a loss in my mind. wesley is still back there at safety and i think page will get most of the snaps. in his limited action last year he put up 35 tackles ,3 picks ,a sack and 5 defensed passes. not bad for a guy splitting time with two other safeties in his first year of playing.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Kilroy » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:51 pm

Redskins Win wrote:
Flux wrote:Wow, Knights salaries werent that ridiculous to absorb, Im surprised they let him go.

c'mon dan snyder. now that archuletta is gone, i'd like to see the mighty midget over pay for sammy. ;-D

I doubt it considering they just signed Stoutmire.

I don't think Knight will have any trouble landing another gig.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Kilroy » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:03 am

Redskins Win wrote:

I doubt it considering they just signed Stoutmire.

I don't think Knight will have any trouble landing another gig.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby dgan » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:20 am

C'mon Pack -- Here is your opportunity to do SOMETHING in free agency! :-P
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:05 am

I would like to see the Bucs go after him, we need a safety and if we aren't going after Doss go get Knight or Hamlin
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk