Broncos may trade MLB Al Wilson to Giants - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Broncos may trade MLB Al Wilson to Giants

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby sox 06 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:23 am

LINK

A much-discussed trade that would have sent Denver Broncos star middle linebacker Al Wilson to the New York Giants was severely jeopardized Friday, and perhaps scuttled entirely, when the five-time Pro Bowl performer failed a physical examination.

Two league sources familiar with the trade discussions said that Giants team physicians and front office personnel were concerned by a neck problem discerned during the examination.

Trade talks had progressed to the point where Wilson traveled east to meet with the Giants, and the expectation was that a deal would have been consummated had he passed the exam. It is believed the teams had agreed to most of the principle elements of the trade, with the deal contingent on Wilson's health. Clubs typically include a physical examination in trade agreements.

It is not known what the Giants would have surrendered in the deal. Some reports indicated New York would part with third-year defensive end Justin Tuck, but they were unfounded.

It is doubtful, sources said, that the trade talks will be revived.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beanoX3 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:52 pm

I guess the price to acquire Wilson just dropped like a stone. And things could get a bit awkward for the Broncos if they decide to keep him after trying to trade him, since Wilson is a defensive captain and all.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Football

Wilson failed Physical

Postby madaslives911 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:12 am

Latest Update on Wilson as of Sunday

Al Wilson failed a physical with the Giants, eliminating the chance for a trade.

Wilson had a neck problem during the season and underwent surgery on his thumb in January. The Broncos basically have to get rid of him now - it's an awkward situation to try to trade your defensive captain, then take him back.

Full Story on ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2810188
Visit My Sigs Gallery

2008 Champion - Cafeholics Anonymous
2008 Champion - No Press Allowed
madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby smackthefirst » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:32 am

Slightly on and slightly off topic. Takeo Spikes is on the block as per Rotoworld. Also Keith Adams met with the Giants as per KFFL. Either of these two could be the Giants replacement to Wilson.

Adams has met with the Giants already whereas Spikes is purely conjecture in regards to the Giants.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby beanoX3 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:39 am

According to Rotoworld, the Bills are close to trading Spikes to an unnamed team. Which confuses me. I don't see how the Bills defense is supposed to raise much confidence with the losses of both Fletcher and Spikes at LB.

And apparently, MLive.com is disputing a NFL Network report that Detroit is interested in Al Wilson.

Al Wilson-LB-Broncos Mar. 25 - 9:56 am et

MLive.com's Tom Kowalski disputes an NFL Network report that the Lions are interested in Broncos MLB Al Wilson.
Wilson, 30 soon, isn't going to the Giants after failing a physical Friday and the Lions reportedly believe he's simply not the player he once was. The NFL Network named Philadelphia as another team in the mix.
Source: MLive.com

Takeo Spikes-LB-Bills Mar. 25 - 9:05 am et

The Bills are reportedly close to trading strong-side linebacker Takeo Spikes to an unnamed team.
Spikes, 30, is coming off a mediocre 2006 campaign and entering the final two years of his deal but should be healthy now a full year removed from his torn Achilles'. Keith Ellison, a sixth-round pick last year, will pick up one outside linebacker position when Spikes departs.
Source: Buffalo News
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby smackthefirst » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:42 am

beanoX3 wrote:According to Rotoworld, the Bills are close to trading Spikes to an unnamed team. Which confuses me. I don't see how the Bills defense is supposed to raise much confidence with the losses of both Fletcher and Spikes at LB.

Again off topic, does anyone find it odd that the Bills seem to be quietly selling off their team? Mcgahee - gone. Clements - Gone. Flethcher - Gone. Spikes - Soon to be gone.

I'd be a little concerned if I were a Bills fan.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Previous

Return to Football Talk