Texans cut Carr and Domanick Williams - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Texans cut Carr and Domanick Williams

Moderator: Football Moderators

Texans cut Carr and Domanick Williams

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:01 pm

From ProfootballTalk.com

TEXANS CUT DAVE AND DOMANICK

A year ago, the Houston Texans passed on quarterback Vince Young and running back Reggie Bush with the first overall pick in the draft because quarterback David Carr and running back Domanick Davis were the franchise's choices at those positions for 2006 and, presumably, beyond.

A year later, none of the four players in question are under contract with the Texans.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Texans have cut Carr and Davis (who is now known as Domanick Williams).

It is, in our view, a stunning turn of events. Carr was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2002 draft, and Williams/Davis was regarded not long ago as a rising star after rushing for more than 1,000 in each of his first two NFL seasons.

Williams/Davis missed all of the 2006 season due to a knee injury, and Carr was generally ineffective in 2006, despite leading the league for a while in passer rating.

Carr's fate was sealed when the team traded for quarterback Matt Schaub and named him the starter. But the Texans were expected to at least trade him for a low-round draft pick.

The team paid an $8 million option bonus not long after the 2005 season ended to secure the rights to Carr for three more seasons. The decision to keep Carr took them out of the running for Young, a Houston native who won the NFL offensive rookie of the year award and who became the first rookie quarterback to play in a Pro Bowl.

I assume Carr will get a backup role with some other team before too long, but what are the chances that Domanick Williams signs with another team and gets a shot.

I've got to believe that Domanick still has a chance in this leauge. Unless his knee is in absolute shambles, he will be able to pass a physical for someone and will be given a shot. He is such a talent when healthy that it seems like someone will be willing to take a chance on him.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:04 pm

For those of you PFT.com haters, this is also being reported on Rotoworld.com

David Carr-QB- Texans

Texans released QB David Carr and RB Domanick Williams.

Carr will find work soon as long as he's willing to settle for a deal similar to the one Joey Harrington signed last offseason with the Dolphins. Williams needs more knee surgery and his career is in jeopardy.
Mar. 23 - 3:57 pm et
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby BlueBandit24 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:09 pm

Surprising move, at least with Carr. I thought they would at least see what they could get in a deal for him, but maybe they weren't many offers. Williams is a little less surprising given his injury troubles but I still think he can be productive somewhere.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheRawDAWG » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:15 pm

Wow, them passing on Bush and Young/Leinart last year is getting more and more painful.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:16 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:Surprising move, at least with Carr. I thought they would at least see what they could get in a deal for him, but maybe they weren't many offers. Williams is a little less surprising given his injury troubles but I still think he can be productive somewhere.

The problem with carr is that everyone knew he would be released anyway, so why bother giving something away for him

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mrblitz » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:17 pm

I believe that both players will find new homes for sure. Carr would be a pretty good backup. And Domanick, could surely still produce well in this league.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Kilroy » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:18 pm

From the Texans' Website:

Carr and Williams released
March 23, 2007
By Carmine Pirone
HoustonTexans.com

In a move that only amplifies the Texans' desire to move forward instead of looking back, the team announced Friday the release of quarterback David Carr and running back Domanick Williams.

The duo’s days in Houston were numbered. Carr, when the Texans traded for quarterback Matt Schaub Thursday and Williams when he had yet another setback in an attempted comeback from knee surgery a few weeks back.

An era has ended and with it the careers of Houston ’s all-time leading passer and rusher. Carr passed for more than 13,000 yards in his five-year career while Williams has amassed over 3,000 on the ground.

Carr passed for 59 touchdowns, setting a franchise mark that likely won’t be challenged for years. Williams’ 28 total touchdowns will likely last a while as well.

As rare as it is for a team to release a tandem of players so decorated in franchise history, Friday’s move is not really surprising.

Thanks to debilitating knee injury, Williams did not play a down during the 2006 campaign and with yet another setback on the road to recovery this offseason, his career in the NFL could be over.

Carr is nothing if not durable, but a change in direction by the front office had Carr looking for a new home this offseason. Since a trading partner could not be found, Carr will spend the next weeks and months looking for another home.

The former number one overall pick has plenty of football left in him. At 27, his best day’s in the NFL could be ahead. Whether or not a team will give him a chance to start for them in 2007 is anyone’s best guess, but considering Carr’s raw athleticism he will certainly find a home somewhere before this season begins, but for the first time in his career he’ll be taking snaps in a uniform other then the Texans.

There are a few teams in the league that Carr might be able to land a starting gig with (or at least the opportunity to compete for the starting job), and I'm sure someone will give Williams a chance if he can pass a physical.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:27 pm

J_rob_the_ Baller wrote:
BlueBandit24 wrote:Surprising move, at least with Carr. I thought they would at least see what they could get in a deal for him, but maybe they weren't many offers. Williams is a little less surprising given his injury troubles but I still think he can be productive somewhere.

The problem with carr is that everyone knew he would be released anyway, so why bother giving something away for him

Exactly they had no leverage with anyone so just let him go. He should get some looks from some teams and also used as leverage from Miami to get Trent Green to take less money if he gets traded
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby sox 06 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:30 pm

I think Carr could start somewhere. I think the Texans o-line had a bit to do with his struggles. He'll at least make a good backup somewhere if he doesn't get the starting job.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Kilroy » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:49 pm

It wasn't just the Texans' O-Line. Carr's developed a case of the yips. He's ready to be sacked the instant the ball's snapped. Maybe a change of scenery will help, but I'd temper any expectations where he's concerned.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Next

Return to Football Talk