Need Gym Tips - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Need Gym Tips

Moderator: Football Moderators

Need Gym Tips

Postby sox 06 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:30 pm

I'm going to start going to the gym because I need to get stronger for golf. I don't want to get jacked and I don't need to lose any weight. I just need to get overall stronger for golf. I've never been to the gym so what should first, how often should I go, how long do I go for? Any tips would be good. Note: I'm 16 years old and in pretty good shape if that helps at all.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joshyboy72 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:34 pm

It sounds like you want to tone your muscles instead of jack up :-D ...so whenever you are doing weights, go for less weight, more reps. I really don't know any golf specific workouts or even what parts of your body need to be in shape to be good at golf, so if someone told me that I might be able to help you out a bit more.

good luck this season ;-D
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby treat24 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:35 pm

if your just looking to get a little stronger and not get super big you really don't have to go more than 3 times a week. and you really don't need to do a ton.

I would recommend 3 half hour workouts per week but really work... 60-70% to max... enough to tear the muscle... and make sure to eat afterward. If you are looking for an actual workout plan I might not be the best help as I've never trained with golfers. I've trained with boxers and football players.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby treat24 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:42 pm

joshyboy72 wrote:It sounds like you want to tone your muscles instead of jack up :-D ...so whenever you are doing weights, go for less weight, more reps. I really don't know any golf specific workouts or even what parts of your body need to be in shape to be good at golf, so if someone told me that I might be able to help you out a bit more.

good luck this season ;-D

doing low weights less reps isn't gonna get you a ton stronger, it will seriously tone you up and help your endurance... which would definately be good for swinging the club a lot.

the thing is that if he is in fairly good shape as it is and golf season is in a month he needs to work on strength training, not toning and conditioning... unless i misunderstood the OP
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby sox 06 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:45 pm

The most important thing about golf is flexibility and I'm pretty flexible right now, that's why I don't really want to get jacked. I just want to get stronger (shoulders/arms and possibly legs) and endurance would be good too.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby mrblitz » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:45 pm

As a 16 year old kid. You should be pretty fit for that reason alone. However, you may want to work on your flexibility of your upper body, and waist. Get a body bar, they come in different weights. But the bar across your shoulders with your arms up over it, and do twisting motions. Should be the perfect excercise for golf. If and when you need weight training tips, just ask. I've been lifting weights for most of my adult life.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby sox 06 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:50 pm

mrblitz wrote:As a 16 year old kid. You should be pretty fit for that reason alone. However, you may want to work on your flexibility of your upper body, and waist. Get a body bar, they come in different weights. But the bar across your shoulders with your arms up over it, and do twisting motions. Should be the perfect excercise for golf. If and when you need weight training tips, just ask. I've been lifting weights for most of my adult life.

That sounds good. I think I'm just about as flexible as I'm going to get right now. My main concern right now is getting a bit stronger.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby treat24 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:53 pm

sox 06 wrote:
mrblitz wrote:As a 16 year old kid. You should be pretty fit for that reason alone. However, you may want to work on your flexibility of your upper body, and waist. Get a body bar, they come in different weights. But the bar across your shoulders with your arms up over it, and do twisting motions. Should be the perfect excercise for golf. If and when you need weight training tips, just ask. I've been lifting weights for most of my adult life.

That sounds good. I think I'm just about as flexible as I'm going to get right now. My main concern right now is getting a bit stronger.

yeah, that is kinda what i thought in my post. I figured at 16 you are already fairly tone and flexible. like Mr. Blitz I've been doing boxing and football my whole high school and college years and then just continued weight lifting. If you wanna just get stronger. Lift heavy a couple days a week and not for too long. enough to really feel it. These guys had great suggestions for flexibility and toning though...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:57 pm

Like was said before, I would suggest 60-70% of your max for weight. That will build up on your muscles, but will keep you from stacking up really big.

STREEEEEEETCH
Before you work out, after you work our, during your workout. That will help you to keep your flexibility as you build your muscle. If you work out for 45 minutes on a monday, then I would suggest a 10-minutes "workout" on Tuesday where you stretch really good and use some of the stuff that Mr. Blitz suggested.

My personal experience has shown that when I work out my muscles tend to get tighter as well unless I stretch out a lot. This could really be a problem if you are working out during your golf season too much, so for more info on that I would consult your coach. ;-D

And ALWAYS remember, google is your best friend:

http://www.golfdigest.com/instruction/i ... tness.html

http://www.golfdigest.com/instruction/i ... rkout.html

http://www.muchomuscle.com/golf_workout.htm
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mrblitz » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:58 pm

I don't play golf. But I do know that as far as driving a ball, it's more speed than power. The only thing I can suggest is grab a fairly heavy dumbbell, and hold it with both hands, and swing it as you would a golf club. This should definitely develop swing speed.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to General Talk