Need Gym Tips - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Need Gym Tips

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:59 pm

Oh yeah, and never neglect your cardio. Even if you don't think you need it, you will wish you did someday, so make sure you do some cardio workout for at least 15 minutes when you go in to work out. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sox 06 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:01 pm

Thanks for the links joelamosobadiah ;-D
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sox 06 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:04 pm

I have a weight that I screw onto my golf club and I take swings with it before range time / a round of golf. I want to get longer but I also need to get stronger so hitting balls out of the rough and tougher lies will be easier.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Jimboozie » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:05 pm

Put yourself on the Boozie diet: McDonalds in the morning, Taco Bell at night. Smoke at least a pack of cigarettes per day and drink 4+ beers a night. You should be super buff in no time. ;-D ;-7
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:11 pm

Jimboozie wrote:Put yourself on the Boozie diet: McDonalds in the morning, Taco Bell at night. Smoke at least a pack of cigarettes per day and drink 4+ beers a night. You should be super buff in no time. ;-D ;-7

Yeah, as long as you lift weights for about 2 hours a day, you will be REALLY super buff. :-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:38 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:
Jimboozie wrote:Put yourself on the Boozie diet: McDonalds in the morning, Taco Bell at night. Smoke at least a pack of cigarettes per day and drink 4+ beers a night. You should be super buff in no time. ;-D ;-7

Yeah, as long as you lift weights for about 2 hours a day, you will be REALLY super buff. :-D

but don't expect a 6 pack of anything except beer
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby sox 06 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:58 pm

Thanks for the tips ;-D So it looks like I should do this:

3 times a week for roughly 30 minutes each
Stretch a lot
Lift about 60-70% of max weight
Include some cardio

One more question, should I do machines, barbells, dumbbell. What should I use and what should I start out on?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby treat24 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:06 pm

sox 06 wrote:Thanks for the tips ;-D So it looks like I should do this:

3 times a week for roughly 30 minutes each
Stretch a lot
Lift about 60-70% of max weight
Include some cardio

One more question, should I do machines, barbells, dumbbell. What should I use and what should I start out on?

in all honesty you won't see many young guys or body builders using machines... they limit muscle potential.

using a dumbbell (say for any type of bicep curl) you focus on one muscle but the muscles around it chime in to help lift thus making your whole arm strong, not just the bicep. guys using machines tend to get a large bump but because the arm is restricted to that motion that one muscle is stronger, where a guy using dumbbells will get stronger arms.

in high school i used machines, once i hit college and post college i started using free weights. i got a LOT stronger using free weights.

dumbbells are the best place to start IMHO... barbells are free weights too so of course i love them. many things you do with them are great for your body as a whole. use both of those more...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:12 pm

working out is like a second job for me...part of my life...so i know quite a bit about it. the people suggesting to lift fairly light for higher reps are correct for what you are wanting. i wouldnt go more than 4 times a week, and since you arent trying to build mass, working out all the muscles you want to improve frequently wont hurt you. as for what you should lift...mix it up. a lot of people do the same excercises over and over, dont do this...changing it up shocks your body into strengthening and will tend to work different parts of the same muscle groups. also, if you know someone that has experience lifting, have them show you some core lifts and proper form so you dont do any damage to your joints and such. of course, lifting lighter decreases the chance of injury, but better safe than sorry.

make sure you eat some protein...you dont need a ton like body builders, but your muscles still need to repair and protein is the key. also drink a lot of water not only when you lift, but throughout the day. these are the basics, and should get you in the right direction.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:26 pm

Well just to add to the already solid advice, I would try working out with a ball. I'm thinking in golf you want a lot of core body strength, and doing exercises on the ball (I can't remember it's proper name) really helps out the core muscles.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk