Need Gym Tips - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Need Gym Tips

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:52 pm

Jimboozie wrote:Put yourself on the Boozie diet: McDonalds in the morning, Taco Bell at night. Smoke at least a pack of cigarettes per day and drink 4+ beers a night. You should be super buff in no time. ;-D ;-7

I thought that was the John Daly diet. :,-(

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:50 pm

WOW, looks like we have a lot of people here who work out.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tiki » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:10 pm

If you don't want to get jacked, do more repitions with less weight. Someone probably said that but that's all you need to do to get stronger and not jacked. ;-D
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sox 06 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:45 pm

I've been thinking, would it be a better idea to buy some dumbbells and just focus on using those? If I were to do that, what size dumbbells should I get (pound wise)?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:09 pm

sox 06 wrote:I've been thinking, would it be a better idea to buy some dumbbells and just focus on using those? If I were to do that, what size dumbbells should I get (pound wise)?

If you were to do that, you owuld definitely want to either get a whole set of dumbbells or get some where you could change the weight. One weight probably wouldn't do what you are needing. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:21 pm

former golf pro here.

walking up to 36 carrying a bag can wear a man down in a day. my personal opinion is check out yoga for flexibility, do plenty of cardio for fatigue, light weights for strength. you don't see muscle bound golfers for a reason. length is gained through the coil/uncoiling. if there was a body part that you should pay particular attention to as far as getting stronger i would look at the wrists and forearms, but it's mainly flexibility and being able to repeat that same motion over and over. i think you could forget about the weights, just run and do yoga and you will see a vast improvement.

i hit the ball long and most of my length is gained through a quick hand action. there are other ways to go about it, i have a sergio type attack, but look at davis love. consistently one of the longest guys on tour, but his hand action is minimal. he has a long syrupy swing. you need to examine your golf swing and then determine from there what is right for your game as far as on what areas to focus.

good luck, cheers!
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby onnestabe » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:08 am

I would suggest doing three 45-60 minute workouts a week. 30 minutes should be devoted to lifting exercies, and 15 should be devoted to flexibility. (it's a good idea to stretch on days when you don't lift as well - just remember to get your muscles warmed up a bit beforehand)

You want to work every major muscle group with compound lifts using free weights to get the most out of your workout. (For instance, bench press doesn't just work your chest, it also hits your triceps, shoulders, forearms, etc). Stick to big movements (bench, rows, squats, deadlifts) and you will accomplish more in less time.

Also, golf is about balance and body control. The best way to hit the small muscles is to put your body out of balance during the exercises. Swiss balls are great for this. Instead of lying down on a bench to do bench press, lie down with your shoulders on a swiss ball so that your core is working the entire time to keep you from falling off. Also, I really like one-handed dumbbell bench press - because there isn't an equal amount of weight pushing down on the other side of your body, your core is working extra hard to keep you in balance.

For the legs, favor barbell squats over the leg press machine so that you have to use the small muscles in your lower legs to keep in balance. Also learn the bulgarian split squat (grab some dumbbells, put one foot on a bench behind you, and squat with just one leg) I guarantee you will feel a lot more than just your quads working on that one.

Find a good ab routine online - I like mine, and you can PM me if you want me to go into detail. But since you are looking for golf specific stuff, you obviously want to focus more on twisting motions than normal (don't neglect more traditional ab exercises like leg raises and crunches, just throw in an extra oblique exercise)

Oh yeah, low weight - high rep will help you burn a lot of calories during your workout, but it won't help you get stronger. Light weights don't engage enough muscle fibers to build muscle. Go with heavy weights if you want to get stronger.

And tempo is important. Golf is about control more than explosion, so you want to make sure to lower and raise the weights slowly, paying attention to form.

menshealth.com has a ton of workout routines with videos showing you how to do the exercises. I think I saw that they had some golf-specific routines as well.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have more questions.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:39 am

If you're serious, get yourself a personal trainer at the gym too. This will force you to be more disciplined in your workouts and force you to go. I signed up for a gym once but never went.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby sox 06 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:33 pm

I think I am going to get a set of dumbbells and try to attack it that way. What pound range should I get? Thanks for all of the tips guys, I will defientily refer back to this when I'm working out ;-D
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby sportsaddict » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:46 pm

sox 06 wrote:I think I am going to get a set of dumbbells and try to attack it that way. What pound range should I get? Thanks for all of the tips guys, I will defientily refer back to this when I'm working out ;-D

I've never bought weights before or anything, I just use the gym, so I can't tell you exactly what to buy from any experiences. But I would make sure it gets up to at least 40-45 pounds, because even though you won't be using those right off the bat (assuming you aren't incredibly naturally strong or something), I think eventually you can build up to that. For what its worth, I use dumbbells for shoulder/military press, triceps (skull crushers), back (lawn mowers), and biceps (which I hate, biceps are all for show). I would suggest trying out some stuff in the gym in addition to using your dumbells, maybe get someone to show you how to do bench press or squats? Squats I would imagine would really help your swing, especially when it comes to power. But I've never played golf so I'm not really an expert.
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

-Joe Theismann (pronounced theese-MAN, not rhyming with Heisman)
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk